Transformers 4 - Character reveal

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DoraemonTheCat

Transformers 4 - Character reveal

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:09 pm

So, after 3 rather tosh movies so far, we know know that a fourth is being made. Thankfully they've got rid of Shia bloody LaBeouf or whatever he's called.

Optimus Prime has been given a new look. And new Corvette and Buggatti Veyron models suggest the introduction of characters not previously seen.

However, the biggest news is that the Dinobots are making a comeback - which leads to one question, HOW IN THE HELL is that going to work?

I always thought that the first Transformers was the best of the three, but am at a loss as to why some of the characters could not be exactly how they were in the original TV series and comics. Let's face it, both Bumblebee and Jazz's original models still look the same as they did in the late 80's.

If there is one character that I'd love to see making his debut is the all awesome-all god like Jetfire.

So, thoughts?

RetroBob

Re: Transformers 4 - Character reveal

Post by RetroBob » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:22 pm

Proper transformation noise or GTFO.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:21 pm

A rats anus I do not give about anything other than Grimlock being in this movie, I have said since they announced 4 that although it can't work? if they do Grimlock right and have a mechanical T-Rex wrecking the place up? they can SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! Grimlock can decimate all others ..... he's just a bit slow

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:15 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:If there is one character that I'd love to see making his debut is the all awesome-all god like Jetfire.
Jetfire was in the second movie...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:28 pm

koopa42 wrote:A rats anus I do not give about anything other than Grimlock being in this movie, I have said since they announced 4 that although it can't work? if they do Grimlock right and have a mechanical T-Rex wrecking the place up? they can SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! Grimlock can decimate all others ..... he's just a bit slow
Also comes with the best lines/quotes "Me Grimlock"

He rules. I asked for Grimlock one Christmas and got Sludge. Yeah, he cool. But nowhere near the colossal coolness of Grimlock.

Maybe they can do a cross-over and he can appear in Jurassic Park 4. They've cloned dinosaurs, they get bored of that and make robot versions with Alien DNA.

An absolutely bonkers script for a Jurassic Park 4 was shunned by Universal - read here to understand why :

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/the-mad-jura ... -made.html

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:33 pm

Mayhem wrote:
DoraemonTheCat wrote:If there is one character that I'd love to see making his debut is the all awesome-all god like Jetfire.
Jetfire was in the second movie...
Really? Damn, guess I switched off after the first 5 mins, like nearly everyone else that saw it. But he wasn't as he was in the comics/TV show (White and Red livery) otherwise I definately would have noticed. So a poor-mans version of Jetfire was in the second movie, not the proper one.

It's also too bad that Soundwave looked nothing like his original incarnation. Theres a guy that rides round Manchester with a Boom-box on the front of his bike, so it's not like it would have been that unrealistic having him in the film in his original guise. Was it really too much too ask?

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:25 am

I quite liked the first film, even with the usual Michael Bay bullshittyness (is that a real word ?) and obvious jingoisms. I actually managed to forget I had seen the second until I very nearly bought a duplicate DVD from blockbuster's bargain bins before they closed last year. I forgot all about the third film....

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:49 am

I've enjoyed all the films, the weakest by far is the second. I would buy a combo blu-ray which was just the robot fight/talk scenes edited together. Sure the movies take a lot of (justified) flak but in all honesty who would have said no to them when they were 10 playing with the toys?

To put it like Grimlock would:

Me Koopa, me like bang bang robots me no like silly humans

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:26 am

Mark Kermode's comments alway make me laugh - that Michael Bay relies too much on 'special effects and explosions'. Yes, well, what were you expecting? If the film had been called 'The Giant Robots That Blow Stuff Up', would that have helped?

But yes, the second film was utter rubbish. And since Jetfire was a rip-off of a Valkyrie from Macross, what were they supposed to do? I thought the character from the film was great, and I loved how he was found out to be a Decepticon by someone touching him, just like the old heat-sensitive stickers on the toys.

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:42 am

I've got a love/hate relationship with them. They do some things right with good action scenes of robots smashing each other up but there's a lot that annoys me as well. I understand triyng to add humour but sometimes that went wrong as they were trying to hard and some bits were so cringeworthy it makes it a chore to watch. Been a long time since I saw 3 but I can remember it being full of random plot holes and awful writing due to Rosie Huntington-Whitely (who was an AWFUL actress anyway) replacing Megan Fox but the script not really acknowledging it was a different person. I understand a lot of it was written before Fox and Bay had their falling out but they must have realised how it didn't really work. It's a shame as the first one wasn't THAT bad but with each follow up I found I liked them less and less. I want to like 4 and I know I'm going to end up buying it (with all manner of extras) on DVD/bluray on release date but I'm sure I'll find myself scooping my eyes out and trying to give myself amnesia to forget I ever saw it.

Bay has repeatedly complained about the notion of using the Dinobots so I'm already dreading any use of them so already the worries of impending horror are there! (alien turtles anyone?)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:08 am

There is an easy way to do the Dinobots ..... just follow the originals, they already have dealt with Transformers on earth in the past so literally have the Dinobots see the dinos, set their transform on them then bury them for millions of years. Present day the Decepticons or Autobots or humans 'find' them and they run on a metal dinosaur rampage (perfect for Bay's talents). Then at the end they come good 'cos they are ace, they get vehicle alternate modes but because they are a bit slow? they never lose their Dino forms either because they don't know how to format a disk ...... job done. Grimlock strong.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Well, one of the films should / should have featured the character of Circuit Breaker. She has an ace back-story, and it would mean that both the Decepticons and Autobots would have to work together.

With regard to the first film -

Things I Liked : The nod to Jazz when Sam's father drives through a Porsche dealership. Optimus Prime overall design. The fight on the motorway - especially when Optimus breaks out the sword he used in several of the comics/TV show. Barricade's model (Ford Mustang Saleen S281E). Bonecrusher - teaser for more to come of the Constructocons. The humor between sam and his parents - police officer at police station. Megatron was pretty cool.

Things I Disliked : The extensive product placement for Chevrolet and Pontiac espically. Optimus Prime has lips. WTF. The stupid allspark test that transforms a mobile phone into mini-robot with gattling guns. Frenzy was just a stupid idea. Bumblebee as a Camaro. The All-Spark creating robots out of a soft drink vending machine, Xbox 360...natch. The Sector 7 guy.

Teaser Poster for Transformers 4 : Age of Extinction (Official Title)

http://screenrant.com/transformers-4-ag ... -spoilers/

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Things I liked of the first film (as I can barely recall the second);

Seeing the Spectre gunship rain fiery sabot hell on that scorpion robot dude. That was and still is awesome.
Stuff blow up
Robots
I have no idea how genuine it is but Barracade as a Mustang sounds great

Things I disliked;

Most of the CGI Characters (other than on a basic, visual appeal)
All of the human Characters
The "story"
Michael Bay's OMG IN YER FACE effects direction. It's so busy I can't see what the hell is going on and it gets boring.
Michael Bay's insistence on making all his black actors play this awful stereotypical black people characters.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:34 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:Michael Bay's insistence on making all his black actors play this awful stereotypical black people characters.
You be trippin' homes