Q re Megadrives, SLG's and modified consoles

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spyke

Q re Megadrives, SLG's and modified consoles

Post by Spyke » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm sorry if this post is a little bit long-winded, but it's a long story and I need to get it off my chest. I'll try to condense it as much as possible.

Got multiple consoles. Heard about SLG-3000 and SLG-in-a-box. Bought SLG-in-a-box (SLGBox) for multiple consoles and tested. Got it working with PS2, Jp PS2, Xbox 360 (all composite output) and Jp Saturn (RGB Scart). Works well, lovely scanlines. No problems in 640x480 on 19" LCD TV.

Bought modified Megadrive 1 console. Multi-region mod.
LED=Red=PAL 50hz,
LED=orange=US 60hz
LED=green=Jp 60hz.

Now, the console itself is "ok". It's a modified PAL 1601-05 model so it was never going to exactly set the world on fire. It ran Japanese games ok. When I loaded US or UK games, it refused to run them in their native regions, and insisted in running them in "green mode" (Jp 60hz). Ok, I thought that was a bit odd but just lived with it - at least I could play the games.

So eventually I realised that the region mod simply was not working as it should - it just played EVERYTHING in Jp mode. Is this normal?

On top of this when I ran the console through the SLGBox I got it set up so that it gave a decent image with scanlines, but the screen image would jump about every few seconds, making it unplayable.

When I connected the console directly to the TV, no problem.
When I connected the console to a scart splitter box to the TV, no problem.
When I ran the console through the SLGBox, signal jumped all over the place.

I tried different VGA cables and different MD RGB Scart cables. No difference.

I bought a genuine original Japanese HAA-2510 console.

Obviously this console is a whole different league ahead of the modified Asian console, in terms of audio and video output. But also it runs games faster. Eh?

So that prompted me to assume that the "Japanese mode" on my modified console is not actually running at the correct speed!!!

Also, when connecting the Jp HAA-2510 console through the SLGBox I get good decent signal again, superb picture quality (and superior audio of course) with scanlines... but every 30 seconds the signal cuts out, then resets and comes back. Gameplay continues throughout the picture absence - I can hear it still - but it consistently does this every 30 seconds. I removed the cartridge lock and tested UK, US and Jp carts, and the same applies to them all.

I connect the console directly to TV, no problems.
I connect console to scart splitter then to TV, no problems.
I connect through SLGBox, image cuts out every 30 seconds.

I'm a bit hacked off to be honest.

I've emailed the seller of the modified console asking why the console runs everything in Japanese mode, and why that Japanese mode is not the same speed as a genuine Japanese console.

I've also emailed ArcadeForge many times looking for help and suggestions about the problem getting the SLGBox to work with EITHER of my MD consoles. Replies have now dried up.

So... does anyone else out there run a MD1 console through a SLGBox and have it working with scanlines and no image interruption? If so, how did you get it to work?

Thanks for reading.

Ant
PAL PS2, GC+freeloader, PAL PS1 (Jp-import-chipped), Jp Sega Saturn, PAL DC
Sore thumbs

HEAVYface

Re: Q re Megadrives, SLG's and modified consoles

Post by HEAVYface » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:00 pm

well....I think I followed all that!

to me it sounds like you mentioned in your post, the modified MD console isn't outputting at 60hz, and the sync part of your SLG can't sync to the signal properly, so it resets itself.

I use a framemeister for my upscaling, if I manually sync to a signal I get intermittent flickering and picture roll. Also there is/was a known issue with running the MVS through these devices, because it outputs at some strange HZ rate (just shy of 60) so you get all the picture nonsense.

also, it takes the framemeister a few seconds to sync the signal, but you can hear the sound just as you described with your SLG.

my money would be on a bodged MD.

Spyke

Post by Spyke » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks.

What does MVS stand for please?

I suspect the modded MD was bodged too.

My new (old) Jp console is superb in every way, but if only I could get scanlines in the display as well.

Do you think it might be an issue with the SLGBox and Scart input, which is what I think? Although that doesn't explain why my Saturn works with RGB Scart output on it...

I'm not a techno-expert by the way. I can plug things in and work a screwdriver (as long as it's not an automatic or left-handed).

Ant
Sore thumbs

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:24 am

MVS is the arcade version of the neo geo :)

reading through your post again, it does seem odd that the pure Japanese system has problems too, but your other stuff is fine. out of interest, do you have to manually adjust the SLG to the signal of your console, or does it do this automatically?

like you mention, i guess it could be the megadrive scart cables, not being pure RGB but a composite lead with a scart connector may cause problems? I've bought loads of snes/n64 cables that claimed to be RGB but are composite so probably not an uncommon problem.

unfortunately I don't own the SLG, so don't know if will accept a composite image through the RGB input on the device. The Framemeister will not accept a composite image into the rgb input - it doesn't show the picture (I think you get sound though) - which is similar to the problem you have.

strange that the manufacturer can't help on that though - you'd think they would of seen the problem before.

BTW theres a guy on ebay (and advertises in this months retro gamer) that sells good quality pure rgb leads for a lot of consoles - I bought my megadrive lead from him for about £9. http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ so if you suspect the cable is an issue it might be worth getting another to test.

sorry I can't be more help, I know how annoying this sh!t is!

Spyke

Post by Spyke » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:47 am

Thanks, but it's a Retro Gaming Cables RGB Scart cable that I'm using now! It actually made no difference whether I used that cable or the one supplied with the modified console, which was also specced at being RGB Scart.

I do not know about manually adjusting the SLG to the signal. Nothing was mentioned in the manual pdf from ArcadeForge about that, and it was not mentioned in any of the emails we have exchanged since then.

This sh!t wasn't too annoying to start with as I was kinda in a honeymoon period at getting a megadrive of any kind and seeing scanlines on my other consoles. But as time has worn on and NOTHING seems to be getting better and NOTHING is being said or done by either supplier, yes. I'm getting a little narked about it now.

I wondered if it might be the cheapie Technika TV, but if I can connect the console directly to the TV and get no problems, doesn't that suggest it must be something "in-between" the console and the TV (ie the SLG board) causing any problems?

Thanks.

Ant
Sore thumbs

Spyke

Post by Spyke » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Now, I'm not an expert. I attach links to some pics of the insides of my modded Asian MD console. What do you think? Does it look "ok" or does it look dodgy?

http://i40.tinypic.com/29kosxh.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2colwqp.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2d9poie.jpg

Ant
Sore thumbs

Spyke

Post by Spyke » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:00 pm

I spent some time playing around with the Japanese MD1 console and SLGBox tonight.

I made a significant discovery.

I had been running the console using the scaler set at 640x480, having read on various forums that this was the "best" resolution to run the console at to get old-skool style visuals with scanline generators. Well, I set the resolution on the scaler to 1024x768 and the intermittent "no signal" problem just disappeared - just like that!

Of course the scanlines are now a bit less obvious (finer) due to the larger number of vertical pixels but it is still a very pleasing effect, so in effect is working perfectly with the MD now. I understand that other scanline generators have a line-doubling feature which can make the scanlines more obvious, akin to the 640x480 resolution, on higher resolutions, but the SLGBox is made to a budget and doesn't have that feature.

So, that's one problem sorted! Still haven't heard anything about the modified multi-region MD console yet. My Japanese one however is now my new favourite (for now...)

Ant ;)
Sore thumbs