Steam: Please list subtitle options on the store page

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

KrissyRawrz

Steam: Please list subtitle options on the store page

Post by KrissyRawrz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:43 pm

It's my first time here so sorry for barging in! :)

However a gaming platform / online digital game Store I use called Steam has been giving me and many other users / game developers there issues for concern.

There's no mention if their games or products do or do not include subtitles on the store pages, which is silly. There's no way to find out if you can use the product with subtitles until after you buy it and check it.

Many people need subtitles in order to play games, mainly those with a hearing problem (like myself) or people whose native language isn't English or just find it hard to understand certain accents. There's even a lot of perfectly hearing gamers who enjoy subtitles on their games.

After yet again another disappointment / purchase / money wasting experience where there were no subtitles and no mention of this on the games page I decided to take it further.

I've created a petition in hope that it gains a lot of signatures (so far there's been a lot of interest and support generating over 750 signatures in the week the petition has been around.)

When the petition reaches 1000 signatures I shall be taking it to the owners of the digital store in hope they make a slight change on their store pages to say if games have subtitles or not and hopefully improve many peoples lives / gaming experiences.

I'd be ever so greatful if anyone could sign my petition for me. Please PM me for the link as I don't want to look like I'm spamming if I post the link here

EDIT: Included link as it is a real petition for a genuine reason.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/s ... store-page

mpm

Grizzly

Re: Steam: Please list subtitle options on the store page

Post by Grizzly » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:09 pm

your name is awfully familiar. don't suppose you were in the trader guild at some point?
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi Krissy,

I've just googled your user name and found your steam page and petition. It looks like a few places are picking up on your petition too - and that is great news.
I wear hearing aids and struggle with certain levels of hearing, so I know how frustrating it can be when you don't quite catch what has been said in a game!

This thread was reported as spam - but I don't feel that is a fair label for it as it is a good cause. More so when talking about us aging gamers :lol:

I've signed your petition. Also included it in your 1st post.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:50 am

I'm not deaf (yet), but I do like subtitles in my games as the vocals are often muffled by the sfx in games. That and I'll sometimes play on the laptop with the volume down while the telly is on.

In this age, you'd think subtitles would be a default option in all games, its not hard to add and potentially widens the market. A subtitle translation is also a relatively quick and cheap way to knock out a localisation - indeed some prefer it, witness Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast, which remains popular despite the XBox version offering an English dub.

This and controller mapping options need to be a standard for every game.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Balders

Post by Balders » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:38 pm

I signed this petition back when I first saw this thread. My hearing is fine, but providing info regarding subtitles is an obvious necessity for those who need them, and such info really should be made available prior to purchase.

Anyway, just received an email from Krissy via change.org that her efforts were successful, and a 'subtitles' column has been added to the languages info section on Steam's store pages.

So congrats to Krissy! Well done for prompting the folks at Steam to realise something they should have realised in the first place. I hope they reward you with some free games. :D

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:43 pm

Yeah, got that email. Well done on getting that through!!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/