Doctor Who Community Buzzing With Rumours

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Matt_B

Re: Doctor Who Community Buzzing With Rumours

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:57 am

I can't say I'm surprised, given that they've only been talking about doing this for thirty-odd years. I'd think that, with a vast swathe of other TV sci-fi shows with strong female leads - a couple of which were spinoffs of Doctor Who itself - they've rather missed the boat when it comes to novelty value though.

If anything, I'm more interested that the script writing team is getting new leadership. Steven Moffat, for all his good episodes, is a creator of lousy story arcs and between him and Capaldi I've found the last few series very hit and miss. Let's hope that they've got some interesting stories to tell with a bit more depth to them than a seemingly rather gratuitous and attention-grabbing gender flip.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 pm

I was leaning towards the Doctor remaining a man purely as i kept think about Hartnell's Dr leaving his granddaughter with a man from earth. She could have had an accident the next day and regenerated as a man which would have been a bit of a shock for the poor male involved!

Having seen the first male to female Timelord regeneration a while back, it was always going to happen, so i'm onboard with it now - especially after having read the amount of "never watching it again" comments that have appeared online. Let's not forget it was never going to be the same when Troughton took over, it was all over when McCoy joined from his career in kid's TV shows, it was all over when Bonnie Langford joined, it was all over when Nu Who started as the show wasn't exactly how it was before, it was all over because Matt Smith was too young, it was all over because Capaldi was too old etc etc. For a show that's evolved over the decades it's been on, some of it's fans really can't handle change.
Last edited by binaryRooster on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Yeah, all the manchildren throwing their toys out of the pram is a thing to see; not making reasonable arguments or talking respectfully, just straight-up tantrums. Though the usual insufferable individuals on the other side jumping up and down with glee and proclaiming Who is now watchable because the Doctor has lady bits are just as bad.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Sel Feena wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:30 pm
Yeah, all the manchildren throwing their toys out of the pram is a thing to see; not making reasonable arguments or talking respectfully, just straight-up tantrums. Though the usual insufferable individuals on the other side jumping up and down with glee and proclaiming Who is now watchable because the Doctor has lady bits are just as bad.
Most of them have probably never even touched a women,

The last two got a lot of hate, the previous one got it from fan girls because "Hes old"
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Might be why then that a lot of female Who fans are angry at the decision here. But who can say, heh? It's not just men against the decision.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Mayhem wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:45 pm
Might be why then that a lot of female Who fans are angry at the decision here. But who can say, heh? It's not just men against the decision.
what winds me up "if you hate on her you aint a fan" says the person who refused to watch capaldi yet someone who might hace a valid reason to not like a casting and is a hardcore fan with all the dvds gets bullied by fans who say things like "old dr who is in black and white it's crap"
This guy are sick

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:03 pm

As long as it was done with progress , not pandering , in mind then give her a chance.

I'm more shocked as I just don't think she's that good an actress from what I've seen.

I won't actively seek out new episodes when they eventually air. Much the same as with Capaldi I shall let everyone else enjoy it first.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:25 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:03 pm
As long as it was done with progress , not pandering , in mind then give her a chance.

I'm more shocked as I just don't think she's that good an actress from what I've seen.

I won't actively seek out new episodes when they eventually air. Much the same as with Capaldi I shall let everyone else enjoy it first.
she isn't that great but shes worked with the show runner before so that helps him. cast i guess
This guy are sick

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:00 am

Kris Marshall now being rumoured for the companion role.

As for Jodie Whittaker, I have no problem with the casting being a woman. Yes, it's always been a man and a small part of me does think that it's kind of a shame that after 50+ years it has been changed but it has been changed and I'll happily carry on watching as long as the writing is good which is my main worry.

I haven't watched Broadchurch but I've read that over it's three years it had mixed reviews and in my opinion Torchwood season one which Chibnall worked on was pretty damn bad.

Still, it's a change and a fresh start so we shall see how it goes.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:37 am

I've just Googled Kris Marshall.

Oh dear.

I know acting isn't exactly high priority in Who, but he's particularly bad. Anything I've seen him in, he seems really amateurish, as if he's just wandered onto set and not had the long career he's somehow managed to sustain. There must be a bit of the Jimmy Saville's going on with him, he must have dirt on someone to keep getting cast.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:57 pm

I generally cannot stand him and think/thought that he would be a bad fit for Who but then I also thought that about Catherine Tate and by the end of series four I really didn't want for her to leave.

Due to that I'm now willing to give him a chance if he signs on.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:40 pm

shiftytigger wrote:

It's definitely pandering for sure. It seems that a popular male fictional figure needs to be replaced by a female for their to be "equality", whatever that means. TBH, if people really think that having a female doctor who is another step towards gender equality then it's pretty weak sauce really.

In conclusion, it depends on what your definition of "progress" is. Personally, I stopped watching Doctor Who along time ago so I doubt this appointment will change my mind. However, she could be a pleasant surprise even if I don't think a Time Lord should become a lady, unless he's trans or gender fluid/non binary/auto romantic! :lol: :lol:
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Nemesis wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:40 pm
shiftytigger wrote:

It's definitely pandering for sure. It seems that a popular male fictional figure needs to be replaced by a female for their to be "equality", whatever that means. TBH, if people really think that having a female doctor who is another step towards gender equality then it's pretty weak sauce really.

In conclusion, it depends on what your definition of "progress" is. Personally, I stopped watching Doctor Who along time ago so I doubt this appointment will change my mind. However, she could be a pleasant surprise even if I don't think a Time Lord should become a lady, unless he's trans or gender fluid/non binary/auto romantic! :lol: :lol:
moffet wrote a line that said time lords sre gender fluid. i read that they were casting speicficaly for a female if thats eqaulity thats wrong thats lets please the pc sqaud sjws(who are now complaing why is she white not black)
This guy are sick

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:32 am

New details for the Christmas special.

Titled Twice Upon A Time and Bill will be returning.

New trailer as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCkDXegqjR0
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

dste

Post by dste » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:10 pm

Class has been officially cancelled.

Yes it had problems but they could have been ironed out over time, oh well.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog