Doctor Who Community Buzzing With Rumours

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

gman72

Doctor Who Community Buzzing With Rumours

Post by gman72 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:03 am

As we approach the shows 50th anniversary the Doctor Who community is buzzing with rumours concerning the show old and new.
I will list the rumours I have heard and how much truth I think may be behind them and you can make of it what you will.
Firstly (and this I believe Likely) is that the new doctor is going to be Peter Capaldi from The Thick Of It. If this is true then its an inspired choice. He is an older actor and is also a quality actor that would be able to do serious properly with gravitas and not spend his time joking and prancing his way through every situation like some teenager after his first beer. Whoever it is, tonight 7.00pm BBC1 one all will be revealed.
The next rumour concerns the direction of the next series of the show. A darker, more adult tone complete with bad language (which would deffo suit Peter Capaldi) set entirely on Gallifrey. This would certainly be a new slant for Doctor Who but somehow this seems unlikely to me as it would alienate the pre watershed audience which seems like an awful lot of viewers to cut off.
http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/08/01/lea ... ew-doctor/
OK the next rumours concern classic who and primarily the requisition of missing episodes. As we approach the 50th it is believed that the BBC are about to announce a major find of previously missing episodes. The last one reported to be found was an episode of Galaxy 4 which has been released on The Aztecs Special Edition but if rumours are to be believed then the BBC could be in possession of up to 94 of the 106 missing episodes. Whilst I so so so wish this to be true it just seems to completely unlikely to me and more like wish fulfillment on the part of the rumour starters. Allegedly an announcement is to be made as a trailer on the forthcoming Terror of the Zygons serial but I remain skeptical... but you never know. If it is true then it is epic news indeed, but I remain skeptical, however even if this rumour remains partly true and a handful of missing episodes have been recovered then this is great news to me.
Make of all this what you will but with the 50th anniversary approaching who knows what announcments the beeb have up their sleeve. :D
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/29/ ... n-ticking/
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/24/ ... he-zygons/
http://gallifreybase.com/w/index.php/Troughton_Junkings
http://www.kasterborous.com/2013/06/mis ... umbles-on/
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

koopa42

Re: Doctor Who Community Buzzing With Rumours

Post by koopa42 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:51 am

I have said for some time they need a 'dark' Dcotor as if the weight of what he has done properly gets to him

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:14 am

And yet Bleeding Cool are convinced that Daniel Rigby is the new Doctor.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/03/ ... octor-who/
And I thought the missing episode stuff had turned out to be b#llocks. I'm no fan of Doctor Who by the way.
Splink!

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:44 pm

gman72 wrote:The next rumour concerns the direction of the next series of the show. A darker, more adult tone complete with bad language
I can't see this happening as it's a family show. Can you imagine the (Daily Mail style) complaints if it suddenly moves to a 9 PM slot to allow for all the bad language and "adult" themes?

I do hope they'll go back to doing multi-episode stories, though. It would certainly help reduce the deus ex machina endings that have blighted a lot of episodes.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:04 pm

felgekarp wrote: And I thought the missing episode stuff had turned out to be b#llocks.
Probably. I think the truth is that the Marco Polo story has been recovered and the beeb will announce this when the 50th gets here. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:07 pm

Prof Mango B Coconut wrote:
gman72 wrote:The next rumour concerns the direction of the next series of the show. A darker, more adult tone complete with bad language
I can't see this happening as it's a family show. Can you imagine the (Daily Mail style) complaints if it suddenly moves to a 9 PM slot to allow for all the bad language and "adult" themes?
pretty much what I said, but yeah I agree. That said I think it would be a welcome if completely unlikely direction for the show to take. :D

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:35 pm

Well, there you go.Peter Capaldi, I think he should be exactly the same as in the awesome The Thick of It.

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:36 pm

sscott wrote:Well, there you go.Peter Capaldi, I think he should be exactly the same as in the awesome The Thick of It.
Now that would be hilarious :)
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Great choice, and I'm glad the new Doctor is a little more mature of age. Looking forward to his first performance.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Only time will tell of course but it's not a choice I would have made. Happy to remain in the minority - cant be arsed to censored him off etc.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:07 pm

An older Doctor to appease the older fans of the cardboard and crap era. A step backwards IMO. Ecclescake, Teethnant and Smith dragged Doctor Who into the present (aprdon the pun)

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:25 pm

OK the next rumours concern classic who and primarily the requisition of missing episodes. As we approach the 50th it is believed that the BBC are about to announce a major find of previously missing episodes. The last one reported to be found was an episode of Galaxy 4 which has been released on The Aztecs Special Edition but if rumours are to be believed then the BBC could be in possession of up to 94 of the 106 missing episodes
So where were they all this time if true? They were just sitting on them without realizing all this time? XD
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:38 pm

ALK wrote:
OK the next rumours concern classic who and primarily the requisition of missing episodes. As we approach the 50th it is believed that the BBC are about to announce a major find of previously missing episodes. The last one reported to be found was an episode of Galaxy 4 which has been released on The Aztecs Special Edition but if rumours are to be believed then the BBC could be in possession of up to 94 of the 106 missing episodes
So where were they all this time if true? They were just sitting on them without realizing all this time? XD
No, sir.
http://gallifreybase.com/w/index.php/Troughton_Junkings
If you look at this link it shows where the missing stories were sold to and then sold on by the country that bought them. The community call this process Bicycle Chaining.
Alegedly over the last two years or so the chains have become fully apparent and investigators have sleuthed each link of the chain and come up with the goods. The episodes themselves have sat in archives in some far flung countries indeed. :D

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:23 pm

I just think 93 is a bit too much of a fanboy's daydream. 10 or 20 maybe, but I doubt they suddenly got back around 90% of the missing stories. Or maybe the major discovery is a episode or full serial thought to be lost forever?
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:44 am

koopa42 wrote:An older Doctor to appease the older fans of the cardboard and crap era. A step backwards IMO. Ecclescake, Teethnant and Smith dragged Doctor Who into the present (aprdon the pun)
I don't know why you'd assume that. An older Doctor in the new series might be great, I'm prepared to reserve judgement. I was surprised to find he's the oldest (equal) Doctor, being 55 the same as William Hartnell.

Its not the age the bothers me, I just think he looks awfully like a slightly aged David Tennant. I do wonder if he'll play it Scottish or not though, since Tennant didn't. We've had a Scots Doctor before in McCoy.