Doctor Who Community Buzzing With Rumours

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Dave300

Re: Doctor Who Community Buzzing With Rumours

Post by Dave300 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:00 pm

I thought last night's was okay - a nice idea. I liked the woman soldier, and how at the end the Doctor turned her away from being a companion because she was a soldier and therefore 'didn't think for herself'. I did like how at the beginning the Doctor made her ask politely the he drop her off at the mothership, instead of allowing himself to be forced at gunpoint to do as much - "Not like that, GET it right!". :) I thought the Dalek's immune system looked like some free Javascript that the special fx guy had lazily googled for, but don't a lot of special effects nowadays!

Interesting we see Missy again at the end having saved the other soldier. The Doctor says at the start the he saved the first soldier by materialising his Tardis around her at the moment of her death. Is this what Missy did with the other soldier and also the Clockwork chap from last week...?

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:49 pm

I thought it was a bit disappointing. It was saved by the Doctor channelling Tom Baker's Doctor. Some of the things he said were really funny and reminded me a lot of Tom Baker. Stuff like when the droid disintegrated the soldier into dust then sucked him up with a beam and someone asked what they were doing, to which the Doctor replied "Doing the hoovering?" :lol: That's the best line I've heard in Doctor Who for decades.

Clara and the other teacher were good, but I didn't like the woman soldier. She spoilt the episode for me a bit.

Overall, it was okay, with some very good bits in places.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:52 pm

I think missy is either the rani or river song
This guy are sick

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:28 pm

gman72 wrote:Capaldi has the gravitas to carry weaker stories and make them good which is something that Smith - the CBBC doctor - could never do. God, i'm glad he's gone. :D
Not sure I'd word it quite that strongly, but yeah, it's definitely a refreshing change of pace. Think Matt left at the right time before he started to grate.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:35 pm

Better than last week, but still patchy.

Great idea to get 'inside' a Dalek, but a missed opportunity in parts. Too formulaic. Not enough edge-of-seat drama. And Daleks are afraid of nothing, so how and why did they not dispense with the crew of the Apostle in double-quick time? The 'good' Dalek dispensed with the invading group quickly enough!

Two colours involved this time as names. Coincidence, or a story arc? And to what event? I might also have missed the connection, but...Pink was formally a soldier; so was it a coincidence that the Doctor's allies this time were soldiers; and is/was Pink one of the Apostle's soldier crew?

Will be interesting to see if we encounter the 'good' Dalek again. Wonder how it will fit into the Dalek fleet without being rumbled.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:20 am

The set with Missy looks quite like the Library's computer, so that's one angle, but doesn't explain how it is happening. Or it's just some part of the Doctor's brain where this is going on...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:37 pm

I thought Capaldi could channel the look and mannerisms of some of the classic doctors, but I didn't expect the scripts to step back thirty years as well. I mean, surely there's better technology around for going inside a machine than shrinking people? Carnival of Monsters was just an accident, after all. And the inside of a Dalek looks like a Tom-Baker era re-run-around corridor? Who'd have thought it? And those 'antibodies' were CGI effects worthy of a Peter Davison-era episode.

Though I wonder if you were supposed to be thinking; "Is this how Clara ends up trapped inside a Dalek..?" - or am I giving the writers too much credit. So far they don't seem that smart.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:51 pm

Sputryk wrote:
Will be interesting to see if we encounter the 'good' Dalek again. Wonder how it will fit into the Dalek fleet without being rumbled.
The leaked workprint had the Good Dalek blow up inside the Dalek mothership and take it down.
Mayhem wrote:The set with Missy looks quite like the Library's computer, so that's one angle, but doesn't explain how it is happening. Or it's just some part of the Doctor's brain where this is going on...
Apparently its the same set as The Girl Who Waited. Whether its the same fictional location or just a re-used location shoot, who knows?
Going Solo...................

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:07 pm

Not impressed with the series so far. Robot of Sherwood has not improved the experience. I wanted not to dislike Capaldi but just not warming to him at all.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:15 pm

Hmm, just finished watching it. Not bad, if I keep my expectations in check. This Paradise thing is obviously key to the series. Next week's looks good though.

knightintosh

Post by knightintosh » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:38 pm

I have to say Capaldi is brilliant, but the series sucks. Both he and Coleman have shown some real comic genius and last night's in particular he was very good with what he was given - loved his karate move and the scenes in the dungeon with him and Robin were hilarious. But the key bit there is "with what he was given" and in my opinion it's just rubbish now.

I was a huge fan right up to and including Smith's first year, but since then... no. Just no. A handful of great episodes compared to nearly every single one being great is a huge contrast. The 50th was amazing, but after the horrible Christmas one I was giving it three episodes this season and they've all been censored poor (the conclusion to last night's was atrocious). So I've actually cancelled my series link and I'm not watching anymore. Moffat and his lot are meant to be staying until at least the end of the next season, so I hope Capaldi stays around longer than that so he can get good material to do his talent justice, and then I might come back.

dste

Post by dste » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:59 pm

^^You should give next weeks a chance at least as from the non-spoiler stuff that I have seen it's supposed to be rather good.

I kind of enjoyed last nights for the silly romp that it was. The guy who played Robin was quite good, the bickering was fun and again Clara was written as a proper and feisty person. Yes there were silly bits (golden arrow at end) but overall I can just roll my eyes and move on.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:05 pm

The next ep is boss. Watch it and see how Capaldi really does it
Going Solo...................

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:28 am

I liked it apart from the arrow bit at the end. That was totally stupid, even for Dr. Who.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

knightintosh

Post by knightintosh » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:44 am

No, not for me, the trailers for the first two looked great but they were pants. I've had over two years of being disappointed with what was my favourite TV show (in fact that was the only reason - blind loyalty - that kept me coming back as it got worse and worse) time to draw the line, no matter how good a trailer looks, it'll save me the "oh god this is STILL crap and a waste of Capaldi!" feeling I've had too much of.