Doctor Who Community Buzzing With Rumours

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Re: Doctor Who Community Buzzing With Rumours

Post by merman » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:39 pm

dste wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:23 pm
The Judoon are returning for the next series.
And it was a great episode. Been a good series so far, with only one or two minor mis-steps.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:00 pm

only ORPHAN 55 kinda disappointed, but that was because there was a LOT to fit into the run time
all the others have been excellent, the last two especially!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:03 pm

I'm not going to lie, really wasn't happy with the 'reveal' in that last episode. Sure, it's opened up a door for some interesting new possibilities and the show will probably still survive, but I feel it's slammed the door shut on and created too many plotholes with the canon and storylines I've enjoyed for the last 30+ years of my life and pushed things way too far in a direction I never would have wanted it to go in.

Plus the Cyber Timelords looked absolutely ridiculous :lol: :lol:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:03 am

I'm not really sure what happened, I got bored with it and my mind wandered. Could have been a decent story, but it was written so badly, like most of the season. It started terribly, but the last few episodes were ok'ish.

What on earth were the spiky cybermen about, and the timelords looked bad - why would they bring the ceremonial headdress stuff into their armour? Mental. Not as bad as the cyber drones though, they were pure comedy.

If it wasn't Doctor Who, it's a show I would have abandoned by now.

This Master is one of the worst characters we've had in the show too. Not scary, not menacing, not apparently scheming, just very, very, badly acted. Dreadful casting there, especially after the scenery chewing Missy, such a let down that this is what followed.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:01 pm

thoroughly THOROUGHLY enjoyed the finale and gave us a right humgdinger which indeed CHANGES EVERYTHING!
and i don't care

obviously antiriad007 didn't get why they were like that ..... PUSHING BUTTONS ..... but still couldn't bring the doc to do the unthinkable!

bringing something totally new to who can be tricky, what this brought was quite exotic, and opens so many doors for new story ideas!

there's only been two episodes that could have been better, but overall i'm very happy about the series and yes that rick and morty ending made me laugh

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:14 pm

What did I miss? What's the humdinger and what was unthinkable?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:26 am

The question has to be.........................................................................................

WILL THE REAL DR WHO EVER RETURN?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:10 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:26 am
The question has to be.........................................................................................

WILL THE REAL DR WHO EVER RETURN?
Unless that entire finale is retconned, then nope, the 'real' Dr Who is gone.

I'm glad other people have enjoyed it, that's fine. It's just sad for me to have to say goodbye to it after (mostly) enjoying watching it for my whole life. But that nonsense was a step too far for me personally, and creates way too many contradictions with lore that's been built upon for decades for the sake of cheap and unnecessary shock value and 'subverting expectations', as the kids say :?
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:40 pm

I haven't watched the recent seasons of the show, but I watched quite a bit of the older Dr. Who stuff back in the day and have fond memories of it. I watched the first episode of the modern stuff and while it wasn't terrible it didn't feel the same and I didn't bother watching anymore.

Having heard about the recent controvery I read up on what happened and I have to say I'm glad I didn't bother watching the modern seasons. Even before this season finale I had gathered the show was going down hill, but wow!

I shouldn't really be surprised, and perhaps I ought not to care, but I'm still blown away by the nerve of the writers, to fill the gaps purposely left blank by the original creators, as if they know best. And to do it so clumisly where it doesn't even make logical sense with what has already been established, all so they could crowbar in a virtue signal origin story.

It's one thing to ruin a cherished, long running, entertainment institution going forward, but to mess with it's history so carelessly is high dickery.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:34 pm

^^^ Not all modern was bad. I really enjoyed the Ecclestone and Tennant stuff. Matt Smith...not so much, but mostly because I found some of the overarching plot stuff to do with Amy a bit hard to follow. Overall, it was still good though.

Stopped watching when the Capaldi run began and, based on what I've seen/read about the current Whitaker era, I certainly won't be bothering again.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.