'Sexist' banner in RG Forum header?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroRevival

Re: 'Sexist' banner in RG Forum header?

Post by RetroRevival » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:46 am

OK, much to my dismay and disbelief, there seems to be more than one person on this thread who has some form of shortcoming in their life and needs to complain about this advert. One dislikes the pixelated tits the other has a problem with wording. Either way do you guys really have nothing better to do?

Is there any chance someone can link me to the original adverts so I can see what all the fuss is about?
Last edited by RetroRevival on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:48 am

RetroRevival wrote:Is there any chance someone can link me to the original adverts so I can see what all the fuss is about?

So i'm a muppet and you haven't even seen the thing?

Jeez...it gets better and better.

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:50 am

I've just looked it up, and it's clearly not a serious advert. It's supposed to be funny. It mentions orgies, has funny Warning signs on it, and says adults only, enter at your own risk, etc. They are obviously having a laugh.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Wartun ... 83&bih=876
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:52 am

So i'm a muppet and you haven't even seen the thing?
I'll retract my condemning of you until the advert in question is viewed? Will that work for you?

** edit **

was it this one...

removed to ensure peace is restored and all butterflies, bees and armadillos can live in harmony again.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:54 am

An apology would be more appropriate but...

No that wasn't the ad but that one which once again states 'For male gamers only' is equally sexist.

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:02 am

An apology would be more appropriate but...
You seemed to have missed my post previously....
I'll retract my condemning of you UNTILthe advert in question is viewed? Will that work for you?
As you have a penchant for words I thought I would emphasis the main one in that line of text...

Anyhoo....

If it was not that one was it one of these...?

They be gone.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:40 am

It seems to me they are simply trying to warn off gamers that might find the content of the game unsuitable to them, while at the same time use that to econvey to male gamers that their game is really raunchy. I highly doubt they actually enforce a policy of not allowing female gamers to play, I'm not sure they even could.

This company actually claim to have had adult ratings the game didn't actually recieve, just to make the game look more raunchy than it probably is. It's desperate and crass marketing, but I'm not sure it's really sexist, they're not implying women gamers are inferior to male gamers and couldn't play their game, just that they probably wouldn't want to. If the game features a male protagonist getting busy with a load of women as the scantily glad images might suggest, then it seems like a fair warning to say this game is made for men (who are predominently hetrosexual).

But I'm no expert, I'm not even sure what's sexist and what isn't these days. Pretty soon having a sexual preference will be sexist. :lol:
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:22 am

pratty wrote:Pretty soon having a sexual preference will be sexist. :lol:
That reminds me of Big Brother the other month. Someone said she wouldn't go for a black or Chinese man, in the same way that some men prefer blondes. Well, she was given a warning for being racist! :shock: BB (and a lot of the world in general) doesn't actually know what is offensive, and simply says that having an opinion is either sexist, racist, or something else-ist. It drives me nuts.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:25 am

It's at times like this that I'm grateful for ABP and the complete black-out of all ads it provides. It wasn't until RR's post just above for example that I could actually see what all the debate was about.

There's nothing wrong with the images themselves btw; it's just fantasy art and pretty tame at that. The warnings and wordings are a bit ridiculous though, not offensive in my eyes but a bit silly and out of place like one of those chatlines.

These arguments do come around every now and then though don't they? I still remember the last one for that Allods Online or whatever it was called (controversy over some fairy T&A) :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:34 am

You know what? I was happy to leave this issue be, but RetroRevival seems to have taken up the cause of supreme defender of shitty web ads.

Honestly, I don't really give a crap that the ad has "fantasy art". I just find the whole thing pathetic, trying to sell some shitty website by slapping "MEN ONLY" all over the ads. Like men are are these censored mindless idiots driven by our base urges to play shitty web games because they say men only and flash a bit of skin.

And you people are defending this bullshit?

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:43 am

Yes. You know why? Because it doesn't matter, it's just a silly advert. There will be others.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:11 am

RetroRevival seems to have taken up the cause of supreme defender of shitty web ads.
That's funny. But not as funny as the state you seem to be getting yourself into over what the majority who have posted in this thread deem to be no more than some fantasy artwork with a few possibly misplaced words.

Get a grip man, there are much more deserving causes for your time, effort and passion, really there are.... like this one for example.....

Or this one...

Or maybe even this one....

What were you complaining about again?

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:20 am

RetroRevival wrote:
RetroRevival seems to have taken up the cause of supreme defender of shitty web ads.
That's funny. But not as funny as the state you seem to be getting yourself into over what the majority who have posted in this thread deem to be no more than some fantasy artwork with a few possibly misplaced words.

Get a grip man, there are much more deserving causes for your time, effort and passion, really there are.... like this one for example.....
I was perfectly happy to leave it alone and then you waded in with your name calling. But I'm done now. Whatever. That's what ignore lists are for.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:31 am

Who cares? I got to post corpsie so win win

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:34 am

Ok, this is getting silly.

junkmale - if you have a problem with the wording on the ad please contact Imagine/Darran.
theantmeister - I've closed the report. I'm locking the thread too. Those ads will also be removed to keep the peace.
RetroRevival - the majority in this thread (including me) agree that this is nonsense. But name calling and throwing those 'upsetting' images in was bound to result in tears.

If there are any others that wish the advert removed, please PM Darran (or me and I'll forward it on).

Thread locked.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/