Unfunny comedians

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

che_don_john

Re: Unfunny comedians

Post by che_don_john » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:26 am

Russell Howard. As soon as he appears on TV I have to switch over. His material follows the same blueprint:

"Remember when you were younger and your brother would do 'x' with a 'y'.?"..*pull silly face*...*do stupid voice*...*shout loudly*.

And don't get me started on his 'Good News' programme, in which he basically takes things that were funny on the internet about six months ago, plays the clip and then just describes exactly what we've just seen (plus silly face and stupid voice).

Other dishonourable mentions go to: Andy Parsons, Dane Cook, Gina Yashere, Shappi Khorsandi and Jack Whitehall. In fact, pretty much 90% of Mock The Week panellists.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Who are the 10% you'd save? (I presume Dara doesn't count cos he's the host and actually funny.)

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:30 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Who are the 10% you'd save? (I presume Dara doesn't count cos he's the host and actually funny.)
Agreed, Dara's brilliant.

If we're to just look at regular appearances (eg. excluding the likes of Miles Jupp and Kevin Bridges, whom I really enjoy but don't count as they've only made a handful of appearances) then I'd certainly save Stewart Francis, Milton Jones and David Mitchell; Mark Watson is good, and I think Hugh Dennis also survives the cull (not the best, just a steady performer); Rory Bremner I consider to be a satirist rather than a comedian, so he survives on a technicality; I don't mind Andi Osho and Ed Byrne; jury's still out on Chris Addison (tempted to save him because he was in The Thick Of It and so can't be too bad!).

Thoughts on that list?
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:45 am

I cannot believe that no one has mentioned Brendan O'Carroll. The man responsible for Mrs Brown's Boys. For some reason my wife finds the show utterly hilarious, but then she also like Miranda.
However, she hates Black Books, Blackadder and Red Dwarf, so I can completely discount her opinion. :D

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:56 am

che_don_john wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote:Who are the 10% you'd save? (I presume Dara doesn't count cos he's the host and actually funny.)
Agreed, Dara's brilliant.

If we're to just look at regular appearances (eg. excluding the likes of Miles Jupp and Kevin Bridges, whom I really enjoy but don't count as they've only made a handful of appearances) then I'd certainly save Stewart Francis, Milton Jones and David Mitchell; Mark Watson is good, and I think Hugh Dennis also survives the cull (not the best, just a steady performer); Rory Bremner I consider to be a satirist rather than a comedian, so he survives on a technicality; I don't mind Andi Osho and Ed Byrne; jury's still out on Chris Addison (tempted to save him because he was in The Thick Of It and so can't be too bad!).

Thoughts on that list?
Agreed for the most part (apart from Mark Watson - why does he put on a Welsh accent when he's from Bristol?) - thankful you allowed Hugh to say, I have a lot of goodwill for him going back to the 90s!
I'd keep Greg Davies as well - not a huge Inbetweeners fan but I do like him as a stand-up.

r0jaws - you're so right about Mrs Brown's Boys - what one of those horrid formulaic 70s sitcoms would be like if it had swearing in it.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:57 am

r0jaws wrote:I cannot believe that no one has mentioned Brendan O'Carroll. The man responsible for Mrs Brown's Boys. For some reason my wife finds the show utterly hilarious, but then she also like Miranda.
However, she hates Black Books, Blackadder and Red Dwarf, so I can completely discount her opinion. :D
Nothing good about Red Dwarf. I wasted an hour watching it once, and I still want that hour back.

I liked Blackadder a lot, never seen Black Books to comment.
ImageImage

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:02 am

^ Depends which series of Red Dwarf you watched - if it was VII, VIII or Back To Earth I can see how that could put you off.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Red Dwarf was never that great.

Black Books however was masterful.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

ootini

Post by ootini » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:25 am

r0jaws wrote:I cannot believe that no one has mentioned Brendan O'Carroll. The man responsible for Mrs Brown's Boys. For some reason my wife finds the show utterly hilarious, but then she also like Miranda.
Ugh. Brendan O'Carroll is really scraping the dregs of the comedy barrel. How that lad has managed to maintain a career as long as he has is a mystery to me. The man got and still gets way to much air time on TV here in Ireland. By all rights he should be relegated to playing a minor part in the Xmas pantomime at the local amateur theatre once a year and opening supermarkets in rural towns.

Have to agree that Red Dwarf has not aged to well. Series 3-5 still have some great episodes though. - Bodyswap, Polymorph, Time Slides etc. Loved it and though it was great when it aired originally but anything after series VI was total crap.

Would love to see a modern reboot of it as long as they don't constantly and blatantly reference the original all the time.

Black books and Black adder were both brilliant, and still are.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:38 am

How could I possibly forget Mrs Bs Bs and Miranda?? I would be prepared to declare Lee Francis the funniest man of all time if it meant those two shows were wiped from the face of the earth.

But I cannot accept any derogatory comments about Red Dwarf. LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING LA LA LA.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:20 pm

all of them it seems, reading through this thread