Unfunny comedians

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

aztecca

Re: Unfunny comedians

Post by aztecca » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:57 pm

shiftytigger wrote:Seriously about as funny as watching James Corden Skullf##king Ricky Gervais.

I would actually find that very funny to watch.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:03 pm

sscott wrote:Ooh, lots of lovely negativity here! Will add David Walliams to the list, swimming in the Thames does not cancel out the fact you are a vain git. Some of his skits are funny but I find him very unlikeable (wonder if that is important?)
My god, it's like a USB cable has been inserted into my brain and my opinion has been downloaded by someone else! David Walliams is so self-obsessed it makes me ill!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:38 pm

Bill Hicks. This man seems to have hero status when it comes to comedy. Why?

Frankie Boyle. Simply referring to someone as a c.unt is not a punch line. But it's that stupid smile he does after a joke where he screws his face up that makes me want to throw him in into a skip. And his own show was beyond dire. The sketches were pathetic.

Chubby Brown. It's a shame because he himself seems very clever and is probably capable of much wittier and smarter humour, he just chooses to sell his wares to morons and adjusts his performances to suit.

Lee Evans. Loved him when he first got his break and got on tv but he just seems so stale these days.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

clarance

Post by clarance » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:51 pm

STranger81 wrote:Bill Hicks. This man seems to have hero status when it comes to comedy. Why?

If you don't love Bill Hicks then you're part of the problem.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:25 pm

clarance wrote:
STranger81 wrote:Bill Hicks. This man seems to have hero status when it comes to comedy. Why?

If you don't love Bill Hicks then you're part of the problem.
I've tried watching him on several occasions but just nothing for me. Don't get him. Didn't even raise a smile where as my friend is in stitches at him. Horses for courses I suppose.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:58 am

I remember when i was in school there were 2 eddie murphy stand up videos that were doing the rounds...i think one was called Delirious. Anyway most of my class had seen it and were going on about "i want an ice cream" it turned into some playground chant, the dinner lady would ask what you wanted on your plate and it was the obligatory " i want an ice cream" I had never seen the video as we didnt have a vhs player. It turned into some holy grail that i had to seek out and see, after seeing it in 1990 i still do not get what was so funny/popular about it.

The same with guys like Chevy Chase, Richard Pryor and Bill Murray...theyve been turned into some untouchable "you cant say that about them! as theyre legends" that I find anything about them hard to like. I think the Americans have a totally different kind of humour than the UK, Ive seen the odd Chris Rock routine and the odd bit is funny, but the audience are in hysterics.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:41 am

Liamh1982 wrote:^ Peter Kay used to be good (particularly as a writer and comic actor) but in the last decade has become a sad caricature of himself. At least we'll always have Phoenix Nights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hK8EbafSlg

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:53 am

Frankie Boyle. Simply referring to someone as a c.unt is not a punch line. But it's that stupid smile he does after a joke where he screws his face up that makes me want to throw him in into a skip. And his own show was beyond dire. The sketches were pathetic.

Chubby Brown. It's a shame because he himself seems very clever and is probably capable of much wittier and smarter humour, he just chooses to sell his wares to morons and adjusts his performances to suit.

Lee Evans. Loved him when he first got his break and got on tv but he just seems so stale these days.
There is a documentary thing with Chubby Brown in that gave me more of an understanding of the inner workings. To him apparently its a job , not a way of life or belief set. Still dont like his comedy but at least it humanised him a bit.

Now Bernard Manning is one I can't stand. Im working class and proud. Doesnt mean im ignorant too. This man is a cretin and vile jokes against many creeds and colours dont a comedian make. Just a bigoted brainless moron.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:32 am

Liamh1982 wrote:^ Peter Kay used to be good (particularly as a writer and comic actor) but in the last decade has become a sad caricature of himself. At least we'll always have Phoenix Nights.
And that thing about the service station, and the thing with the ice cream man. And that X-Factor parody thing too.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:51 am

Do you know what? Humour is always subjective, so wasting time and energy on hating a comedian is pointless. Enjoy the comedy you like.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:45 am

Liamh1982 wrote:^ Neither of whom is American! :lol:
Oh yeah Canadian lol.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:20 am

Ricky Gervais will be buying a Ps4 instead of Xb1 FACT!
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:54 am

Lee Francis and Jimmy Carr top my list.

ootini

Post by ootini » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:17 am

A few Irish gobshites for ye….

Jason Byrne - Annoying? Yes Funny? Not in the slightest.
Andrew Maxwell
Ed Byrne

How these three ever got notice publicly is beyond me. Irish comedians are just so incredibly crap is not funny. We've got so much more of them here that thankfully have not managed to get on telly across the water. And you should be thankful for that.

The Irish comedian I'd rate in any way is Dylan Moran.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:08 am

^ I quite like Ed Byrne - with you on the other two though.