Unfunny comedians

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Nemesis

Re: Unfunny comedians

Post by Nemesis » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Russell Brand - Watched one of his stand ups on Channel 4 when I was ill. Made me feel worse. Why is this man famous again?
James Corden - not at all funny.
Another shout for Marcus Brigstocke. Stars in the Now Show on Radio 4. I don't think I've ever laughed at anything he says. Same for the Now Show itself really.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:01 pm

clarance wrote:Woo-hoo - great thread - of course your all wrong and all the comedians mentioned are dead funny quality professionals that have crafted their style and technique through hard graft and of course a fair degree of talent (apart from Russell Brand of course - he's fukkin wank).

I'd like to nominate all women comedians please - especially fat ones. Especially Dawn French. Especially.
I agree with this. Also, how someone could NOT enjoy morcambe and wise but could enjoy lenny henry. :?

Eddie Izzard? Is he a thinking man's comedian? 'Cos he's not a funny one.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:11 pm

I was thinking of the ones that I don't like and I would have it's pretty much most of the current crop.

Russell Brand
Jonathan Ross
Milton Jones
Paddy McGuinness
James Corden

Those top five I have to switch off if they ever appear on anything, though I did think that Corden was OK in his first Doctor Who appearance when he toned it down.

Ricky Gervais
Lee Nelson
Sarah Millican
Noel Fielding
Ross Noble

Thought Mickey Flanagan was humorous on some shows but then started watching his stand-up, christ.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Some good shouts there, especially:

Roy Chubby Brown: uses the same gags, normally being sexist, in every show which always starts off with 'you fat bastard' being shouted at him. Talentless w@nker if ever I saw one.
Ricky Gervais: another talentless w@nker, although An Idiot Abroad was funny, the rest of his stuff isn't. And he's a tw@t anyway.
Michael McIntyre: look at me, aren't I funny? Pulling the same faces, making the same voices? I'm hilarious! Yeah, like haemorrhoids.
Any female commediens: thinks their jokes are funny but are cringeworthy. Shove them on a show like Mock the Week, and see them fail big time!!!!
Russell Brand: if his material is wrote for him (like on some movies), he can be funny. Other times, he's just a c0ck.
Jimmy Carr: smug c**t with a face that looks like he's constantly had something shoved up his arse. Unfortunately, it's not his own head. His jokes can be funny sometimes, but the guy just irritates me.
Frankie Boyle: used to like him, but he just p!sses off everybody for laughs, which makes him look like a w@nker, too. And he is. An unfunny one. That I wish would disappear back up his own arsehole.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:31 pm

MIRANDA.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Rinoa wrote:There's no comedian I dislike more than Steve Martin. Ugh. He's truly awful.
Is he still doing stuff? His early Saturday Night Live stuff is insane, with his banjo and arrow-through-the-head and King Tut and all that, thought he was really funny!

Lots more mentioned here that I can't stand, that hairy posh boy especially. Saw him on that Channel 4 Comedy Gala thing and he more or less just did an advert for some showel gel. He was the first one on as well, so that didn't say a lot for the rest of the cast.

Lee Evans is fun mostly, and Dara O'Brien's great at improvising stuff, but comedy as whole's just depressing nowadays.

Here's something fun, see if you can guess which comedian's which:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l82yUEC6FUY/T ... /sams3.jpg
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:04 pm

With the exception of Billy Connolly, Every single comedian i have ever seen/heard which is all the ones mentioned on here and all the ones that havn't i don't find funny in the slightest. None of them annoy or irritate i just find that people trying to be funny arn't. There are however a few American actor/comedians that i love like Jim Carrey & Tom Green.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:05 am

^ Neither of whom is American! :lol:

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:24 am

Another comedy annoyance is Jimmy carrs Laugh also Ricky Gervais Laugh.

Peter Kay is mostly nostalgia funny...in a "oh yeah remember those/that" kind of way

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:20 am

Interesting reading through all of this to see what people like and dislike. I still suspect there's a north/south divide for comedy, most of the northern stuff does nothing for me at all, as you'll see below. But for the most part, I don't have a huge list of disliked comedians, because I appreciate some of the jokes do make me laugh.

Likes: Michael McIntyre, Russell Howard, Stuart Francis, Mickey Flanagan, Ross Noble, Sarah Millican (about the only two northern comedians I can genuinely laugh at all the time)

Dislikes: Russell Brand, Lee Herring

REALLY dislike: Peter Kay (he's about as funny as a cactus enema to me, never understood why he's popular)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:13 pm

^ Peter Kay used to be good (particularly as a writer and comic actor) but in the last decade has become a sad caricature of himself. At least we'll always have Phoenix Nights.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Ricky gervais :evil: :evil: Really cant stand him and the only laugh he will get out of me is one day when i wake up and find out he has died in a car crash.

Also that bog eyed Russell howard he is censored and always on the tv hopefully he will be travelling in the car with Ricky gervais.

Jo Brand Same jokes over and over for the last 20 years "look at me i am fat" "i ahd 10 sausage rolls for my Dinner" censored off and die. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Do like micky Flannigan at the mo not usually into the whole Cheeky chappy cockney malarkey but he is good.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:11 pm

There's no such thing as an unfunny comedian, just people without a sense of humour.
Splink!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:12 pm

I'll add Jo Brand. Yes, okay the battle of the sexes things can be some times funny, but hearing about her talking about tampons and how much she eats isn't. Yes, she supports Labour, and she was a psychiatric nurse and the Evil Tories TM destroyed the NHS. And how much money is she earning now doing comedy? :wink: :wink: :wink:

BTW - Jimmy Carr's laugh sounds like a demented seal. :D

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:24 pm

Glad to see a shout at last for Lee nelson. How the hell did he get a second series. Seriously about as funny as watching James Corden Skullf##king Ricky Gervais.