Vegetarians!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Rayne

Vegetarians!

Post by Rayne » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:33 pm

So out of interest - have we got any veggies on the forum? Any that tried and failed? :)

I did it for 3 months to date a Veggie girl. It was far, far easier than I'd initially thought it would be - Quorn is the stuff of legend! 8)

Megamixer

Re: Vegetarians!

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Me! Have been so for most of my life after my parents stopped eating meat when I was about 5 or 6 years old. Though to be accurate, I'm probably pescatarian (or however you say it) since I do eat fish.

I just don't like any of it, even spat it out as a kid :lol: . Doesn't look appetising in the slightest.

You get all these people going on about needing meat for strength and all that stuff but I work in a very physical job, on my feet all day constantly lifting heavy boxes/crates and I'm fine. I predict a deluge of anti-vegetarian responses to this thread anyway!

And yes, Quorn is ace 8)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:18 pm

I would, as it's bound to be far healthier, but bacon just tastes too damn pretty. And I'm also partial to the occasional kebab.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:29 pm

I was a vegetarian for 4 years some time back, it was fine but just seemed to fall back into the 'norm' after that, no peer pressure or anything, just didn't hold strong enough convictions about it.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:39 pm

sscott wrote:I was a vegetarian for 4 years some time back, it was fine but just seemed to fall back into the 'norm' after that, no peer pressure or anything, just didn't hold strong enough convictions about it.
That was my problem. While I'm completely against battery hens, aggressive farming and cheap meat I don't see any harm in eating animals that have been free-range & lived decent, healthy lives.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:14 pm

Antiriad is a vegetable!

I was a veggie for 16 years. Took about 4 of those to actually take a bite of meat - just couldn't do it. Then one day whilst at work (was store manager of a branch of McDonald's!!!!) I finally gave in tonthe smell of the tandoori chicken burger :D that was closely followed by a big mac, quarter cheese, McRib and a normal cheeseburger!!!!
As a church going Orthodox Christian, we fast every Wednesday and friday,not eating meat and also fast for 4 weeks upto Christmas and 6weeks upto Easter. So veggie food is fine with me and the family. Nothing beats a rare fillet steak though :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:57 pm

Tis true, I am a veg(etarian).

I've been one since I turned 18, so that's 25 years now.

Just never much liked meat, I don't have the mental separation most people have between what I see on my plate and the insides of a beast. I only ever ate processed stuff like burgers that didn't look like meat, Then I found out what went into those (all the really gross stuff).

Since then, never bothered with it and can't say I miss it, I eat much better now.

Mrs Ant isn't veggie (good job).

fwiw, I accidentally bought a cheese and tuna sandwich at an airport a couple of months ago and didn't realise til I'd taken a big bite of it. Since there were no alternatives and I wasn't going to be near food again that day, I thought 'what the hell' and ate the rest. Not bad, but not something I'd choose to eat given a choice.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Yep, Veggie too, also since I was 18, so 15 years nearly. Have been totally Vegan for a year though, so perhaps no longer able to call myself a Veggie strictly!

Became one purely for ethical reasons, and have always stuck with it. Absolutely no chance of going back to meat (only broke the Veggie-ness once to try spicy squid when I was 21). Lived with the girlfriend for 5 years now and she's certainly not a veggie. I guess the fact my brother, who's older than me, was a vegan himself for years (and is now veggie) made it slightly easier. One thing I've noticed over the years is the number of people who think veggies, and espcially vegans, are preachy about their diet. Maybe some are, but I've had far more 'hilarious' comments from meat eaters over the years. "The cow would eat you if it could" Uh huh. Of course it would. Saying all that though, apart from the jokes, most people do try their hardest to make sure if we go out somewhere there's a veggie option.

Being vegan is far harder though, i'm already finding that. Did it originally to lose weight (I was approaching 19 stone last year - bloody dairy products were my downfall), lost well over 5 stone by cutting out dairy. But the loss of Cheese is far harder to deal with than the loss of meat ever was!

Oh and Quorn is lovely. Can't eat it now though. I've replaced it with Vegideli stuff which is even nicer (and vegan friendly which is lovely)
Last edited by Space_turnip on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clarance

Post by clarance » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:02 pm

I've been a vegetarian since as long as I realised where meat (and fish) came from - since I was a small child I have been absolutely revolted at the thought of eating dead flesh - just doesn't seem right or hygienic to me :?

Really wish I wasn't, the ridicule really pisses me off, but I just cant touch the meat :)
Death may be your Santa Claus.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:04 pm

It never really bothered me when I was a veggie. Some people would laugh and turn their noses up but I'd just ignore or explain that the food I was eating was just as good or better than what they were eating.
Quorn is great stuff and we still enjoy eating that on our veggie days along with the many many Tesco/Sainsburys own brand veggie stuff.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:52 pm

I hate quorn, Tofu is nice but Im sorry guys I am the complete oppisite of a veggie and like my food very meaty.
I dont have a go at Veggies or Vegans, its their choice but I do take offence when one of the few comes shouting in my face about how bad eating meat is, my digestive system and teeth are designed to be omnivouros (sorry can't spell) so Im going to continue eating meat.
One thing I dont like though is animals being kept poorly because of the fact they are destined for slaughter, for a start its cruel and it also effects the quality, for instance a free range hen fed on a high quality feed will always taste noticeably better than a battery one, same with their eggs.
Watching you sleep since 1990

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:55 pm

I'm no veggie but i have considered it. I dislike most sea creatures and could easily live without lamb, steak, pork, mince, bacon and turkey. I would miss chicken, chilli beefburgers and spicy sausage though. And saveloy from the chippie!

I do love my veggie stuff. Spinach and ricotta ravioli. Spicy bean quarter-pounders. Vegetable samosas. Falafel wraps. Oh and Quorn and Linda Mcartney veggie brands are super tasty. I really don't taste much difference between fake meat burgers and the real deal.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:11 am

My daughter recommended Goa as a holiday destination. She says loads of hippies settled there in the 60s so along with the sacred cow thing of the locals there's more veg options than. It on the menus. Yet to try it.

Never had much hassle from anyone about it, most are just curious why I'd put the restriction on myself as they don't think they could do it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:50 am

Veg. It's wrong un. I really wish it wasn't because it's proper healthy and stuff but just WRONG 'UN. :(

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:49 am

The only thing wrong with vegetarians is the way they insist on you cooking something special for them when you invite them for dinner.
My attitude is they can push the meat to one side and avoid the gravy or sod off.
Unless they're willing to do me a fat steak when I'm round their place and they're eating mung beans.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.