Wombledon: A thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

gman72

Re: Wombledon: A thread

Post by gman72 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:27 pm

Go on The Scot :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:38 pm

gman72 wrote:Go on The Scot :D
He cut it a bit fine there. Still, hopefully it's a wake-up call that he's not just going to cruise all the way to the final. Janowicz looks like he could give him a bit of a workout too.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:20 pm

thought he had blown it, did very well to come back

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:41 am

He's a battler alright.

It's the crowd though - I just really dislike the Wimbledon crowd. 90% won't have a clue about tennis the other 50 weeks of the year, but all of a sudden they're painting their faces in the Union Jack, draping themselves in the flag and crying when he loses a point, or cheering manically when he wins one. They're pretty disrepectful to the opposing players as well.

It's just all a bit false and fair-weather.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:47 am

greenberet79 wrote:He's a battler alright.

It's the crowd though - I just really dislike the Wimbledon crowd. 90% won't have a clue about tennis the other 50 weeks of the year, but all of a sudden they're painting their faces in the Union Jack, draping themselves in the flag and crying when he loses a point, or cheering manically when he wins one. They're pretty disrepectful to the opposing players as well.

And how do you know that? The 90%? Are you a tennis expert and can gleam such info just by looking at them?

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:32 am

I have no interest in tennis, but I'd really, really like to see Murray win wimbledon.

Then he can get himself to fcuk after that.
Thoughts and prayers.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:55 am

good post and very true.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:17 am

It's just human nature I suppose, if you've bought a ticket why not enjoy yourself? :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:45 am

I know what you mean but its the same for every sport.

I remember all the super nerds at work moaning about the footy being on all the time during the Euros/World Cup, 'Dr Who isn't on tonight because of the footy'.

Come knockout stages and its the opposite and they're well into it

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:07 am

psj3809 wrote:

I know what you mean but its the same for every sport.

I remember all the super nerds at work moaning about the footy being on all the time during the Euros/World Cup, 'Dr Who isn't on tonight because of the footy'.

Come knockout stages and its the opposite and they're well into it

I've always been into Wimbledon, Tennis was my favourite sport to watch until around 1997 when I discovered Rugby League.

Personally, can't stand the dullness of football, it's dull and repetitive, and I'm so very thankful for the advent of Freeview and much more choice of better things to watch, it means I no longer have to complain about endless crap coverage of a crap world cup, and I have the same arguments with people every time world cups come around. People ask me if I'm watching the match (referring to football), I say no. They say, "But it's England!". When the RL World Cup comes around (later this year, folks), I expect all those who insist I should watch football for just that one solitary reason to get behind the RL boys just as much.

What does still annoy me is that employers tend to get very lenient on timekeeping when there's a football world cup on, but not so any other sport. Surely that's close to discrimination?

In other news, what's gone wrong for Flipkens? If she's not careful she'll be beaten in under an hour. She's only won 23 points compared to Bartoli's 47. I'm rooting for Radwanska in the women's.
ImageImage

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:19 am

Beaten in 62 minutes, 6-1 6-2. In my book, that's a thrashing.

Ouch.
ImageImage

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:30 am

Fishsta wrote:Beaten in 62 minutes, 6-1 6-2. In my book, that's a thrashing.

Ouch.
Yeah, but it was on the cards. Flipkens did really well to get as far as she did, and that epic against Kvitova must have taken a fair bit out of her. Bartoli, on the other hand, has been here before.

Here's hoping that Lisicki isn't also totally worn out from the exertions of the past week. It'd be a shame for her to go out on a damp squib now although, as you say, Radwanska is a quality player and has one of the best defensive games in the sport.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:00 am

Well, looking at the stats, it doesn't look good for Lisicki.

33 unforced errors to Radwanska's 5, 6 double faults to Radwanska's nil...

The momentum appears to be with Radwanska.

Still, there's a whole set to play, could be anyone's.
ImageImage

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:16 am

Fishsta wrote:Well, looking at the stats, it doesn't look good for Lisicki.

33 unforced errors to Radwanska's 5, 6 double faults to Radwanska's nil...

The momentum appears to be with Radwanska.

Still, there's a whole set to play, could be anyone's.
That's just how the two of them play, I'd say. Lisicki goes for her shots but quite often misses them. Radwanska gives very little away and tends to keep the rallies going rather than look for winners.

I wouldn't want to call it either way yet, as they've both shown how deep they can dig.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:29 am

Lisicki serving for the match now... :shock:
ImageImage