Does Anyone Write For Edge?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Browncat

Does Anyone Write For Edge?

Post by Browncat » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:17 pm

I assume you have to be extremely cool to write for this magazine (as in proper media type). Also you have to use the word zeitgeist all the time so that you look smart. I bought a copy yesterday and it made me miss Zzap64, so I went and downloaded a bunch I feel much better now.
Sorry I just had to get that off my chest.
I am the guy who speaks out from the eye.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:22 pm

as a fairly knowledgable gamer , I feel I ought to like Edge - but I don't

I do like the Retro mags they issue every now and then , but the regular mag's style just doesnt appeal to me
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:24 pm

The last 2 that I have bought got about 10 minutes each before I scrapped them. Nice pictures but boring as censored.

Dark Reaper

Post by Dark Reaper » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:32 pm

I buy it for Mr Biffo's column mainly (although to be honest I'll often just read it in WHSmith's then put it back on the shelf). :D

Browncat

Post by Browncat » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:41 pm

I prefer GamesTM but the best multi-format was C+VG in its day that is. I just don't get Edge, is it an industry publication or a commercial enterprise? It doesn't seem to know itself, plus a real sticking point is their policy on authorship; That a writer is anonymous. I just don't like this when it comes to reviews or features, it feels very soulless. Also their 'retro'/lookback sections feel forced like they are trying to capitalise on a growing audience to gain market share etc. And the magazine smells funny.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:49 pm

Arcade , Ace , Zero and '80s C&VG were the best multifomat mags for me

The best by far now is GamesTM
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Browncat

Post by Browncat » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:58 pm

I buy it for Mr Biffo's column mainly (although to be honest I'll often just read it in WHSmith's then put it back on the shelf).
Yeah and what is Biffo and that sell out Minter doing writing for them anyway! I like Guest's article as well mind but those three really are the only features of interest. Hey what was that comic in C+VG called again? You know the one with the space marines that was alright.

RivaOni

Post by RivaOni » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:45 pm

GamesTM adopt a anonymous policy in their mag too, although their staff occasionally post on the forums, as I believe Darran occasionally does here.

EDGE are very up their own backsides though, which is what put me off them.

My favourite mag of all time was Paul Davies era C&VG, fantastic mag. GamesTM upto issue 40 I loved too, I've only bought 1 or 2 issues since it became an Imagine Magazine and I got a funny feeling from it, it didnt feel the same, but Simon Phillips is back in the chair, he was editor for the majority of the mags life, with Martin Mathers and Paul Morgan being the editor for differing periods of time too.

Simon's promised some minor changes, some updating I think, so it'll be interesting to see what he's planning to do with it.

hey_jonny_park

Post by hey_jonny_park » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:55 pm

EDGE are a bit pretentious but I absolutley love it, been subscribing for years, love the blend between consumer and industry magazine, love that they look beyond the games by looking at their impact and on our societies culture. Every issue gets the cover to cover treatment from me.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:20 pm

I don't really take an interest in what EDGE covers these days, and I often find I barely skim the issues - but - I've read it since issue one and have bought it without fail since, so now I'm in a stupid rut of buying it every month by habit and not wanting to break the collection.

I still break out the older issues and have a nostalgic blast reading the reviews and features, but like I say I don't follow modern gaming much so the current content simply doesn't interest me. I've never had a problem with the tone of the magazine or its writing, but I can say that I don't think I've ever read one of the industry-heavy features. I just don't find that side of things interesting.

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:10 pm

I bought the first few issues of Edge and I remember enjoying it, but I was a young un and didn't have much money at all and I couldn't afford to keep reading it.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:40 am

The esteemed Paul Drury writes for Edge and Retro Gamer, I've tried to get into Edge but no luck so far...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube