Collecting or Hoarding......??

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

James A

Re: Collecting or Hoarding......??

Post by James A » Sat May 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Ive just moved into a smaller property with my girlfriend which has resulted in me trimming some stuff back, mainly CDs and books but some game stuff. Found it actually quite hard to do with some stuff. With the cds i am considering either ripping down 90% of them to my PC and keeping special editions or getting soem big CD wallets and getting rid of the cases. Book wise ive got rid of alot of novels that ive read or know im not going to get round too but when it came to comic and graphic novels i shifited a load of 2000 AD stuff but other bits i couldn't bring myself to sell. Game wise i haven't started yet but the Wii's going and probably most of the games as ive hardly ever used it since getting it. Stupid thing is though ive got plans to get a Wii U + PS3 this summer :roll:

John

Post by John » Wed May 29, 2013 11:11 am

I think it's a problem if your living space has become complete unsanitary to the point where actual trash is not thrown out. I've watched the TV series "Hoarders" on a number of occasions and it's frightening how people live with dead cats, piles of trash, and in one episode even human waste when the plumbing got cut due to non-payment on the bill. I mean, if an individual can't even get it together to throw this stuff out and not keep a room dusted, vacuumed. If the room is going to make you sick or is a fire hazard, or is going to prevent you from having guests then it's a problem. On another note, if you're not taking care of yourself and keeping yourself clean then that points to a problem also.

People have the right to collect. As long as you can display and play that collection, and have people over to enjoy it on social occasions - then I think it's no problem.

On another note, I really need to buy myself some shelves.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed May 29, 2013 5:04 pm

I've disposed of almost everything in the past year or so and I have to say I haven't missed any of it. I fear selling the 360 recently may have been a mistake, not really because of the games but general connectivity in the house, but I'll probably buy another one (or more likely a cheap PS3) before the end of the year.

Nowadays I'd much rather read a book or anything really; Go out on my bike or something, especially when the weather is good.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed May 29, 2013 6:59 pm

John wrote:I think it's a problem if your living space has become complete unsanitary to the point where actual trash is not thrown out. I've watched the TV series "Hoarders" on a number of occasions and it's frightening how people live with dead cats, piles of trash, and in one episode even human waste when the plumbing got cut due to non-payment on the bill. I mean, if an individual can't even get it together to throw this stuff out and not keep a room dusted, vacuumed. If the room is going to make you sick or is a fire hazard, or is going to prevent you from having guests then it's a problem. On another note, if you're not taking care of yourself and keeping yourself clean then that points to a problem also.

People have the right to collect. As long as you can display and play that collection, and have people over to enjoy it on social occasions - then I think it's no problem.

On another note, I really need to buy myself some shelves.
I remember a story about one guy who was getting complaints from neighbours about the smell from his property. Turned out the smell was from his garden shed. When environment officers checked it out they found he could not bring himself to get rid of his own waste. So he had all these used paint pots full of urine and cr@p :shock: that's when you need help. His house was clean though if I remember that right.

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:19 pm

Collecting or Hoarding?

I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:20 pm

StarshipUK wrote:Collecting or Hoarding?

I don't care what it is, I only care that the arcade cab has the proper sticks that I like for Street Fighter 2

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Well if you cant get to the curtains to open them i would say that may be verging on Whording.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:30 pm

Damn that's not good. Hoarding 100%. I would be embarrassed to bring friends or family round if my lounge was like that

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:31 pm

psj3809 wrote:

Damn that's not good. Hoarding 100%. I would be embarrassed to bring friends or family round if my lounge was like that

Unless your family and freinds were the Borrowers they wouldnt be gettng in the lounge anyway. :D
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:32 pm

silvergunner wrote:I remember a story about one guy who was getting complaints from neighbours about the smell from his property. out the smell was from his garden shed. When environment officers checked it out they found he could not bring himself to get rid of his own waste. So he had all these used paint pots full of urine and cr@p :shock: that's when you need help. His house was clean though if I remember that right.
Yeah sorry about that. Was going through a bad time. If it makes you feel better I've got rid of all those paint pots now

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Hoarding
Collectors tend to look after there stuff

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:46 pm

That was after a boot sale haul. CRT TVs use up so much damn space! Its tidier now I have moved them to the shed and some boxes too.

And I do look after my stuff. The Sam Coupe is still in Bubble Wrap!
I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:04 pm

StarshipUK wrote:That was after a boot sale haul. CRT TVs use up so much damn space! Its tidier now I have moved them to the shed and some boxes too.

And I do look after my stuff. The Sam Coupe is still in Bubble Wrap!
As someone that runs a bi-monthly games night I agree with this, also a lot of them won't stack due to shape.

Horror is when a stack five high and four deep tumbles

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Looks mostly collectorish to me. Lots of parcelled things and an assortment of systems scattered about, but not heaped randomly, there's order in there. I'm like this to a smaller extent.

Also we know you take kit to events and the like, so inevitably there's some upheaval with that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:15 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Looks mostly collectorish to me. Lots of parcelled things and an assortment of systems scattered about, but not heaped randomly, there's order in there. I'm like this to a smaller extent.

Also we know you take kit to events and the like, so inevitably there's some upheaval with that.
Needs shelfs to be a collector.

I dont tend to get on with collectors and horders
Why collect games you are never likely to play?
Why have loads of the same game?