Collecting or Hoarding......??

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

junkmale

Collecting or Hoarding......??

Post by junkmale » Mon May 20, 2013 9:23 pm

I had a very strange experience recently..
My GP had a reason to call at my home and called me in for an appointment a few days later.
When i got there she said she wanted to discuss my problem with hoarding :shock:

I don't think i have that problem but when i think about it my home really is overloaded with my collection.
There are boxes everywhere waiting to be sorted, stored and cataloged.

If i live to be 100 i will never, ever get to play all the consoles, games and other game related stuff i have.
Every available space is taken up by something game related. And that's before i even start to look at my roofspace.

So is it hoarding? Or when do you draw the line and say...NO MORE?
Or do i just need to get my finger out and do some tidying up?
Any one else with the same problem?

RetroBob

Re: Collecting or Hoarding......??

Post by RetroBob » Tue May 21, 2013 12:07 am

It does sound like hoarding. At least it's not like you see on TV, bags of newspapers waiting to be, as they say too, sorted, stored and catalogued! Unless you have multiple copies of FIFA '95, then it's exactly the same. One man's 25 year old trash is another man's Stadium Events I guess.

Before anyone says, hey Bob, let he who is without sin cast the first stone, I have about 1000 games but they are boxed up or on two sets of shelves... I cannot stand clutter as it would make my normal two bed semi look small!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue May 21, 2013 12:40 am

Owning things and never playing them = Hoarding

I drew the line a few years back as I felt that I am owning stuff I will never use
http://dbloke.wordpress.com/2009/03/19/good-bye-games/

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue May 21, 2013 11:09 am

I have a fare bit. And most I don't play, it's fairly tidy though. But I am now selling most of it off (apart from next gen stuff im yet to play and my megadrive collection so my little boy can play it when he is older) to save up for a new home. Made a quite a bit so far and I'm not missing any of it so far.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 21, 2013 11:52 am

A handy tip is to buy most of your games as downloads. That way they don't take up any shelf space and you're under no illusions as to whether they'll go up in value and make you a mint someday.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue May 21, 2013 1:00 pm

Matt_B wrote:A handy tip is to buy most of your games as downloads. That way they don't take up any shelf space and you're under no illusions as to whether they'll go up in value and make you a mint someday.
Feels like im paying for nothing at all
nothing at all
nothing at all
nothing at all

I hate this forums old forum style on other forums id make that fade out

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 21, 2013 2:38 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Matt_B wrote:A handy tip is to buy most of your games as downloads. That way they don't take up any shelf space and you're under no illusions as to whether they'll go up in value and make you a mint someday.
Feels like im paying for nothing at all
nothing at all
nothing at all
nothing at all

I hate this forums old forum style on other forums id make that fade out
We need an "it's all about the plastic boxes, paper and shrinkwrap" forum. :lol:

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed May 22, 2013 4:26 am

It probably is borderline, I imagine doctors are now more thinking about things like this, the more shows there on TV, my wife calls me a horder particularly when these shows are on. To be honest, watch a few of them and it will spur you on to get rid of stuff. After my first viewing, I got rid of half of my book collection, so a good 200 hardback books went on freecycle. Most of my game stuff is in plastic tubs in the loft now. CDs and books on shelves. I do tend have parcels all over the places with things I've bought on top of shelves, on the arcade machines etc. But with a 6month year old, its nye on impossible to ever move things clear my stuff as if I start banging around upstairs it will wake her up. I now have a plastic tub in the hall way which is my designated holding/dumping box until I sort things out.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed May 22, 2013 4:38 am

To be honest id have told the GP to do one.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:17 am

SoupDragon wrote:To be honest id have told the GP to do one.
I'm the opposite. If a doctor actually said you've got a problem with hoarding i think thats a huge wake up call. Sounds like he needs someone 'outside' his family to say hes got a hoarding problem, problem is too many people must have not said anything to him and its got worse and worse and worse.

What next ? A doctor visits someone at home and its not clean and the patient has a problem with asthma and they tell the doctor to 'do one' if the doctor comments on the dirty dusty house etc ?

The doctors only there to help

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sat May 25, 2013 3:15 am

I have an entire loft full of gaming stuff myself dating from the early 70s ,and its a big loft ,but tbh, i would not call myself a hoarder, ... collector yes,because i know almost exactly whats up there and where it is , the rest of my house is pretty much tidy apart from one or two consoles in the lounge that i play on a regular basis,...
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat May 25, 2013 3:41 am

Having 90% of my stuff in the attic games room helps a lot, though these days it looks a little messier than it should as I have taken a little less care in its preservation (which I will sort this week), if there is stuff lying around the house that could create a bad impression I guess (particularly if stuff is in boxes), I would start with an unpacking and tidy up session and see how it goes...

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat May 25, 2013 4:17 am

I think a lot of it isnt about collecting or hoarding it is just that some people have addictive personalities.So they buy up 90% of the retro stuff they see wether they need it or not.If they wasnt doing that they would be smoking crack,gambling,or even spending to many hours a day playing online fps games.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat May 25, 2013 7:10 am

Turned the living room upside down yesterday looking for an extension socket and found loads of stuff I didn't even know I had (or had forgotten I had) - including a big plastic tub containing a Mega Drive/Mega CD combo, two Master System II's, a Master System I, a SNES, two loose Mega Drives, and three PSOnes (two with LCD screens). And a Henry Hoover bag full of Garbage Pail Kids cards.

Thing is, I mostly know EXACTLY what books, comics, magazines, toys, CDs, records, DVDs, videos and tapes I have, but when it comes to games-related stuff it's seemingly a blank space in the brain.

It'd be nice to lock myself in one day and go through the whole lot (the three carrier bags full of plugs and cables included), but time doesn't seem to exist these days.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Sat May 25, 2013 7:25 am

oldtimer wrote:I have an entire loft full of gaming stuff myself dating from the early 70s ,and its a big loft ,but tbh, i would not call myself a hoarder, ... collector yes,because i know almost exactly whats up there and where it is , the rest of my house is pretty much tidy apart from one or two consoles in the lounge that i play on a regular basis,...
that sums up me and my collection too :-) out of sight as i cant stand clutter but love having it all