Broadband supplier

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

StarshipUK

Re: Broadband supplier

Post by StarshipUK » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Should also mention I am on TalkTalk, but live in a village with a uber-small exchange and dont have much choice as the exchange has not been unbundled, and probably never will be. Still it is cheap as I only pay for line rental and they have decided to give me the broadband for free with unlimited download. Also a stable 8MB connection is not too bad, considering I am about a mile from the exchange.
I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:05 pm

I am a BT customer. Once you're up and running the broadband is superb. But the company in general is a disgrace, they have let me down on 7 separate occasions. And the complaints process is even more painful. I recently cancelled with them because of this, but I would only be cutting my nose off to spite my face. The likes of plusnet et al all have to rent the line from them anyway and virgin don't exist where I live. Too many snobs don't want the road ug up. I may as well save myself the hassle of switching over. So I un cancelled...and am going for compo.

Eat your nans pants

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:46 am

StarshipUK wrote:Have you tried phoning them to get it fixed?

I recently had my broadband speed upped but it started causing problems.
A quick phone call and they reduced my speed back down and its been stable since then.
Slower speed = stability and reliability. Faster speed = disconnections and unreliable.

I have contacted them and done some jiggery pokery. It did clear up for a couple of days (coincidence maybe) but since then went back to normal. I might give them one last chance and mention the speed/reliability you mentioned, cheers.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:11 am

Have just in the last hour or so had an upgrade to BT Infinity. Gone from 17 to 76 (!) megs a second at no extra cost!

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:04 pm

greenberet79 wrote: I have contacted them and done some jiggery pokery. It did clear up for a couple of days (coincidence maybe) but since then went back to normal. I might give them one last chance and mention the speed/reliability you mentioned, cheers.
Some providers will monitor the connection and automatically adjust things over days to make things "Better".

Its odd this thread because as I write this I now have a 11.5MB connection - a whole 3.5MB faster. I was talking to my neighbour and apparently Sky have just unbundled the village exchange (they are just about to connect to Sky Broadband next door). At the same time BT have been poking around in the green box and he said their are stickers or posters saying BT have increased the broadband speed. Still not sure how why this has affected me as I am on a unbundled TalkTalk connection. Looking at SamKnows the max connection speed is now 18MB on the village exchange. I live around a mile away from it and guess there are people who have worse speeds than I do, but still very jealous of all you bastards getting BT Infinity speeds! So far with increased speed everything has remained stable, which is surprising after what happened before.

So I guess the other things you could do:
1. Talk to neighbours and see what their broadband is like.
2. Get BT to do a phone line check for free, even if it sounds fine. Tell them it is crankily even if it is not. On TalkTalk this test can be done through a automatic voice system so no need to talk to humans.
3. Get broadband provider to try reducing connection speed.
4. Get broadband provider to replace old router with a new one. Threaten to leave them if they do not replace it.
I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:36 am

I'm with Virgin and have had very few problems.

Currently I'm paying £25 per month for 20 meg including phone-line rental

I do sometimes wonder if I'm paying too much , what do others reckon?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:57 am

paranoid marvin wrote:I'm with Virgin and have had very few problems.

Currently I'm paying £25 per month for 20 meg including phone-line rental

I do sometimes wonder if I'm paying too much , what do others reckon?

You always pay a bit more if you only have one or two services. I used to pay £20 just for a dedicated broadband line. I now pay £70 a month, but I have 3 TiVo boxes on the XL tv package, 60 meg broadband and phone line.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm with VM too, been with them since the Blueyonder/Telewest days. I've had very few issues with them. The service is pretty rock solid, in my area at least.

I'm on their 60MB connection and while downloads speeds from Xbox LIVE are pretty reasonable, my download speeds from Steam a 'silly quick'. I've downloaded 8GB in about 15 minutes from the Steam service.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:33 pm

This is the second time I've been on Sky broadband and I've always found them to be better value for me personally. I've got an 'unlimited' 15mb download speed which was free for 6months then £6 a month.
It's never dropped connections, good wifi and I can d/l games and stuff reasonably quick.

With services like these though its going to differ for everyone. For every happy sky customer like me, there is someone who has had nothing but trouble...

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:34 am

Joey wrote:This is the second time I've been on Sky broadband and I've always found them to be better value for me personally. I've got an 'unlimited' 15mb download speed which was free for 6months then £6 a month.
It's never dropped connections, good wifi and I can d/l games and stuff reasonably quick.

With services like these though its going to differ for everyone. For every happy sky customer like me, there is someone who has had nothing but trouble...
Very true. I've emailed Sky to ask to slowdown my speed and maybe try a new router. When it works it's fine - just that it doesn't always work!

I must say Sky are always very helpful whenever I speak to them, never had a problem with their customer service.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:08 pm

BT's ads now specifically say they "never slow you down"...

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:35 am

I worked for Virgin Media for 10 years (until 2011) and can honestly say the network, for fibre, if fantastic.
The throttling and prioritising never really caused our customers many issues and frankly the prices were ludicrous!
If we could get them here we would but living in the middle of nowhere reduces us to LLU broadbands :(
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?