Broadband supplier

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

greenberet79

Broadband supplier

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:44 am

Okay, it's a repeated topic. My Sky broadband is up next month, and I have to leave - it's ruddy awful. In the past I've been with Virgin and Plusnet and they were fine. But Sky offered me unlimited free for 6 months, and then it was only £7.50 for 6 months - so it was a good deal in theory. But the service is chronic - always cutting off, always needing resetting. My phone line is new and crystal clear so it's not that.

So any recommendations? Preferably unlimited. Preferably cheap :)
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

IronMaidenRule

Re: Broadband supplier

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:00 am

Don't know how you found Virgin Media but I have been with them since the NTL days and not had any problems at all, in fact with all the free upgrades they do I am paying a very good price for 50mb speeds.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:44 am

I've also been with VM since they were NTL. I don't think the price has changed since we had a 2Mb connection (apart from general increases across the board). They keep upgrading me for no extra cost, then doubling it. I'm on a 60Mb connection now. I've almost never lost the internet. Maybe 5 times for a couple of hours in over 10 years.

They did mess up my permissions once to my webspace, but apart from that, it's been great.

My Brother had a nightmare with them, but maybe that's 'cause he was in London.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:00 am

Orange were good for a while, but since they changed to EE I'm having connection problems all the time.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:44 am

I had Virgin for a year and they were fine. I changed to Plusnet as they were a few quid cheaper. It's only Sky I've had problems with. They are cheap though! I'll look into Virgin.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:39 am

I've been with BT for nearly 10 years. Only had two issues, one they sorted it instantly (branches had fallen onto a phone line round the corner from ours !), when we moved we had a nightmare moving but they sorted it.

BT is normally dearer but again if you go with a cheaper provider you 'sometimes' have problems (Eg Sky). Saying that my sisters been with Sky for years and its been fine. I would try and go for a large company though like Virgin or BT rather than some of these unknown cheaper deals (which sound way too good)

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:35 pm

greenberet79 wrote:Okay, it's a repeated topic. My Sky broadband is up next month, and I have to leave - it's ruddy awful. In the past I've been with Virgin and Plusnet and they were fine. But Sky offered me unlimited free for 6 months, and then it was only £7.50 for 6 months - so it was a good deal in theory. But the service is chronic - always cutting off, always needing resetting. My phone line is new and crystal clear so it's not that.

So any recommendations? Preferably unlimited. Preferably cheap :)
You must have been very lucky when you were with Plusnet. Fot the last couple of years they have been rated the worst ISP

Type the following into Google :

Plusnet worst isp?

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:16 pm

I was with Plus.net they were stocking so bad :( I am with BT as I have fiber its not cheap but is is FAST
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:22 pm

I have used numerous people over the years with Virgin easily being the best and BT being the worst, they really did suck anus (especially the customer service)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:04 pm

BT have been great for me. I routinely abuse their fair use policy, they throttle my downloads of a weekday evening but ask no questions, so its win win. Customer service can be painful, but I did get lucky and had someone helpful once, so they do exist. Having said that I've only had to call them a couple of times and I've been with them since they started offering an unmetered service back in the 56k days.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:15 pm

Another shout for Virgin here. Also been with them for years (broadband only)....recently switched over to their TV and now have a 60mb connection. Can count on one hand the amount of times i've had a problem in 10 years.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:15 am

BT Infinity fibre:

£26 a month for up to 76 meg and unlimited usage.

£23 a month, 38 meg, unlimited.

£18 a month, 38 meg, 40gb limit.

Add a tenner on for line rental with unlimited weekend and evening calls.

The only sticking point really is...can you get it where you live?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:58 am

Another Virgin here :D

100meg connection with 14 things in the house online and super swift connections.... would not leave them (unless something amazing turned up)
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:48 pm

BT infinity for me, Incredibly reliable so no idea what their customer support is like! :wink:

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:07 pm

Have you tried phoning them to get it fixed?

I recently had my broadband speed upped but it started causing problems.
A quick phone call and they reduced my speed back down and its been stable since then.
Slower speed = stability and reliability. Faster speed = disconnections and unreliable.
I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.