What are you listening to right now?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thingonaspring

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:45 am

Been listening to The Heavy lately. Going to see them in November - looking forward to it.
Also, can't get enough of this cover version. :oops: I just think it works so well.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:32 am

For the very cheap sum of £1.88 including postage off ebay. Got myself a copy of The Warriors soundtrack on CD.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:08 pm

Had Fallen by Evanescence on for the first time in ages today - loved it. Got a newfound love for the track called 'Tourniquet'.

Also been listening to 'Darkest Side of the Night' by Metropolis. Awesome 80's tune brings to mind a 1980's New York (also used in Friday the 13th Part VIII).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:55 pm

The new Metallica track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBHL3v4d3I

Bit disappointed really, basically sounds like a redux of All Nightmare Long.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOykKOlzioo

my vitriol- 1999 demo.

one of my favourite bands, the year i discovered them and they sound a LOT like nirvana in parts

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:01 am

Revisited some glory days from my youth -

Gus n Roses - Use your illusion 1/2 - still good but prefer Appetite / Lies
Corrosion of Conformity - Deliverance - Still enjoyed Clean my wounds but didnt finish the album as i found i wanted to move on.
Offspring - Americana - ok tail end of my youth! - not bad , was never a strong one for me thanks to pretty fly getting far too much airplay.
Pantera - Vulgar Display - while some lyrics sound a bit outdated now , it still blows me away. Way better than trendkill.

And then a selection of random memory tracks from other artists -

Wildhearts - Hate the world day
Coal Chamber - Loco
Soundgarden - Rusty cage
Therapy - Going Nowhere
Prong - Whose fist is this anyway
Hammerbox - Hole
Fat - Downtime
Silverchair - Pure Massacre
White Zombie - More human than human
Dog Eat Dog - no fronts

Nothing there that didnt still work for me - again some sounding a bit cheesy by comparison these days but nothing i wouldnt live with.

Nowt worse than revisiting things you loved only to find out theyre actually a bit cack.

dste

Post by dste » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:19 pm

Sureshot wrote:The new Metallica track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBHL3v4d3I

Bit disappointed really, basically sounds like a redux of All Nightmare Long.
I thought it sounded more like someone had forgotten to stop recording at the end of The Day That Never Comes. Either way I wasn't that impressed with it.

flatapex wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOykKOlzioo

my vitriol- 1999 demo.

one of my favourite bands, the year i discovered them and they sound a LOT like nirvana in parts
Loved them back in the day, caught them live two/three times. Shame they didn't capitalise on the strength of the first and only album.

shiftytigger wrote:Revisited some glory days from my youth -

Offspring - Americana - ok tail end of my youth! - not bad , was never a strong one for me thanks to pretty fly getting far too much airplay.
The Kids Aren't Alright is one of my favourite Offspring songs but I pretty much cannot stand the rest of the album.

Pretty much all of the songs you listed are my youth as well. So old now...
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:45 pm

Dokken - Cry of the Gypsy.

Really need to get the other albums (only have Back for the Attack + some B-Sides 'acquired' from the internet thus far...)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:55 pm

This Fire Burns by Killswitch Engage
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

dste

Post by dste » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:05 pm

Manhole - All is Not Well
Tura Santana - Relief Through Release
Delain - We are the Others
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
The Offspring - Ignition
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:59 pm

dste wrote:Manhole - All is Not Well
Tura Santana - Relief Through Release
Delain - We are the Others
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
The Offspring - Ignition
My kind of playlist. How do you think they hold up after these years?

Manhole / Tura Satana - not sure where to stand on this as Tairrie B wasnt great live and the lyrics are a bit cheesy but still kind of have a soft spot for her/them. Saw them with Drain and Fear Factory back in the mists of time in Wolverhampton Civic.
Delain - not one ive heard of but might have an investigate.
Linkin Park - lot of naysayers but they did spark something with me that makes this album still pop now more than their more recent stuff - Im not ashamed to admit this album is on my top list.
Guns - My favourite album of theirs and still sounds awesome today.
Metallica - Ride the lightning comes from a time when I was still discovering great music - like other stuff , lyrics dont necessarily sound fresh but there is so much more here than lyrics that represent their era.
The Offspring - Ignition was one I came to after Smash became big. Still good but most Pre Americana stuff is.

Sorry , not intentionally critiquing your choices , just glad to see some good stuff here that I actually know!

dste

Post by dste » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:02 pm

shiftytigger wrote:My kind of playlist. How do you think they hold up after these years?

Manhole / Tura Satana - not sure where to stand on this as Tairrie B wasnt great live and the lyrics are a bit cheesy but still kind of have a soft spot for her/them. Saw them with Drain and Fear Factory back in the mists of time in Wolverhampton Civic.
Delain - not one ive heard of but might have an investigate.
Linkin Park - lot of naysayers but they did spark something with me that makes this album still pop now more than their more recent stuff - Im not ashamed to admit this album is on my top list.
Guns - My favourite album of theirs and still sounds awesome today.
Metallica - Ride the lightning comes from a time when I was still discovering great music - like other stuff , lyrics dont necessarily sound fresh but there is so much more here than lyrics that represent their era.
The Offspring - Ignition was one I came to after Smash became big. Still good but most Pre Americana stuff is.

Sorry , not intentionally critiquing your choices , just glad to see some good stuff here that I actually know!
No worries, I'm always happy to talk music. :)

Manhole / Tura Satana - I prefer All is Not Well over Relief Through Release. I find that after half the album RTR starts to get a little samey whilst AINW has slightly more stand out tracks. Saying that, neither are great albums but there is just something about them that I like.
Delain - If you enjoy the likes of Nightwish and Within Temptation then they are worth a listen. The first two/three albums are the better ones and do feature members of Nightwish and WT.
Linkin Park - I was a little disappointed listening to it again. Not sure why, I think maybe I remember it being slightly heavier than it is. Some good songs on there though.
Guns - I have to agree with you, absolutely fantastic album.
Metallica - RTL is my favourite Metallica album and contains my favourite song of theirs Creeping Death. For me there isn't a bad song on the album.
The Offspring - Ignition is my favourite Offspring album. Love Smash and Ixnay and Conspiracy but there is just something about Ignition that puts it above them for me.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:25 am

Devin townsend project - Trancendance

Cracking album. Very much worth getting the special edition with the extra 11 tracks.
Last edited by silvergunner on Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:31 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CctLvZ5qbc

if anyone is in any doubt how much I love 80s music.....

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:26 pm

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KngQmjhF1s

Oh, and now this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg3uzB9b_bc Give this a bit of time to really get going.

Imho, both are cracking cover versions.