Faulty Snes Help?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

errolwd40

Faulty Snes Help?

Post by errolwd40 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:33 pm

Hello, recently I was given a snes console which has not been used since 1998, it came with 3 games. The machine and the games were really dirty and worse for wear. I cleaned everything up nicely but cannot get the machine to work at all. The machine turns on but I get no sound or picture (except on mario all stars I briefly get the start menu and then it just hangs). I am using a hdtv but I don't think this is the problem as my n64 works great on the same channel via av output. Does anyone have any advice to help fix it? Thanks in advance. :D

r0jaws

Re: Faulty Snes Help?

Post by r0jaws » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:49 pm

That sort of behaviour could be any fault really, but the most likely and easiest remedied are dirty contacts on the cartridges. Use an eraser to clean them, then some isopropyl alcohol, or failing that some glass cleaner.
Make sure they are clean and dry, and maybe give the cartridge slot on the console itself a blast with some compressed air.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:48 am

If it was really dirty, there's a good chance its an ex bootsale job that may well have sat out in the weather on Sunday afternoons or its been stored somewhere exposed to dirt and potentially damp. Try cleaning contacts etc but if its internally faulty then its probably a bin job.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, I tried again today but to no avail, I threw it away. Think I will stick to n64 and dreamcast, never had a moments problem from either of them, cheers. :)

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:58 pm

Don't throw old consoles away :P

I always try and fix them or at least use them for spare parts. I'd have paid for you to post it to me if you didn't want to keep it.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:14 pm

errolwd40 wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys, I tried again today but to no avail, I threw it away. Think I will stick to n64 and dreamcast, never had a moments problem from either of them, cheers. :)
the right move, you can only try so much, nothing worse than having loads of old junk lying around like in some tramps flea pit.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:11 pm

Personally, I don't think its the right move. I have repaired many consoles and computers that were thought to be dead, and have then sold, or given them away, afterwards.
Just because they may beyond your ability to do something about it doesn't mean that they are a write off.