PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 12-13 October 2013, Manchester

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

subzero

Re: PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 12-13 October 2013, Manches

Post by subzero » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Treguard wrote:
There did seem to be someone going round deliberately sabotaging all the Amstrads though. Every time I went past on it had been '10 print 20 goto 10'. I'm assuming it was a Spectrum fan jealous of it's colour. Though that wouldn't explain the Green Screen one running Roland in the Caves. How I love/hate that game...
spectrum has colour

badger2609

Post by badger2609 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Didn't win on the raffle, but managed to win a very cute cuddly teddy on the Teenage Cancer Trust tombola. Unfortunately I won it very early on the Sunday and then had to carry it around with me all day, much to the annoyance of my mate who wanted me to either dump it somewhere or give it away. I decided not to give it away (thought it might look slightly suspect going up to a selection of children and waving a cuddly toy in their face :lol: ).
On the way back from the expo my mate and I went for a curry on Portland Street and the waiter in there took great pleasure in seating us at a table right at the front of the restaurant, lit the romantic candle and asked if the teddy was for him from me..... My girlfriend eventually received her teddy on Monday morning.
Word of caution, whenever you enter a raffle or tombola, leave it until the end of the day and drop your winnings off at the hotel before heading out, unless you want to get slaughtered :wink:

retromax

Post by retromax » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:44 pm

my Jamma+ video from Play Expo:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p520Ag7bZsc
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:26 pm

Treguard wrote:
There did seem to be someone going round deliberately sabotaging all the Amstrads though. Every time I went past on it had been '10 print 20 goto 10'. I'm assuming it was a Spectrum fan jealous of it's colour. Though that wouldn't explain the Green Screen one running Roland in the Caves. How I love/hate that game...
Ummm didn't you read the messages? They were quite inventive :lol: And how dare you call me a spectrum fan :shock:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

retromax

Post by retromax » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:15 am

Treguard wrote:
I restarted that Roland in the Caves loading (the loading sequence has been stuck in my brain since the mid 80's :lol: )

Nothing loaded though as if the tape had been erased, although it was too damn noisy to hear if it was trying to load, didn't try side B though.
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:50 am

markopoloman wrote:
Treguard wrote:
Ummm didn't you read the messages? They were quite inventive :lol: And how dare you call me a spectrum fan :shock:
Haha they were certainly more fun than playing Roland in the Caves ever was.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Actually, if you were there when the messages were on the Amstrads and the C128 - we probably saw each other!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:03 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiwrlnbwk7A

Brand new video from RetroCollect this time showing everyone how to set up a stand at an expo :D

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:44 pm

mainvein wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiwrlnbwk7A

Brand new video from RetroCollect this time showing everyone how to set up a stand at an expo :D
the driving at the start is like being in a car with my missus :lol:

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:21 am

Treguard wrote:I now know the Pioneer Laseractive makes the CD-i look like the ultimate gaming machine, and have a hankering to buy a nuon DVD player just to play Tempest 3000 again.

Also kudos to whoever picks the weird game to play on the Japanese Famicom every year, I enjoyed that Sherlock Holmes thing even though I had no idea what I was doing.

The Laseractive, Nuon and Twin Famicom were mine (on loan). Sherlock Holmes wast just a case I used to fit an everdrive multicart (dont tell anyone) so you could have been playing any game released for the FDS - I was loading it with random games throughout the event. The Amstrads and a few other machine were playing up a bit and refusing to load games. It made more sense to leave them out and let people do what they wanted with them, rather than put them away and have huge empty spaces.
I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:37 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3290AoX-L8M

new video of the RetroCollect competitions :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:01 am

Did you see at the show they had some 3d printers ? £20 and you had to stand on this rotating platform while they videoed you for the 3d software.

Anyway just got my 3d figure through today, really cool. Very bizarre seeing a small figurine of yourself. I must have accidentally been breathing out i think ;)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:54 am

If it was there last year id of struck a pose and VOLA!!
Instant Dan statue

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:47 pm

I almost forgot to post! :o

Had an excellent weekend at Play! I went to the Lass on Friday night with a couple of the RV guys and then chilled out with a few more people back the hotel. Surprised there weren't many people at the Lass, but I guess most were helping out back at the venue.

Saturday came and bumped in to loads of the regulars straight away. Always good to see everyone! Especially this time as it was a whole year since my last event, so really good to catch up. Spent a little less time at the bar this time and a bit more gaming. Loved the pinball area in particular, and of course an event wouldn't be the same anymore without Taiko Drum Master - happy days! :D The only negative about the weekend for me was the Cosplay. Loved the effort people had put in with some of the costumes (how awesome were the Final Fantasy judges, though?!), but waiting for the stage event to start was rubbish. We just gave up in the end and went to play some more games (just as well really as I heard it was delayed about 2hrs?). I guess it didn't help that we couldn't understand a word of what was being said over the tannoy (sorry Mat!).

Saturday night I went to the Fab Cafe. Almost felt like a disaster as I'd left my makeup bag and toothbrush at the fella's house the night before, but I survived (thanks mostly to Amy!) and then the taxi took forever... but we got there in the end! After a delicious Chinese buffet next door, it seemed a bit weird at the Fab Cafe afterwards, turning up to a raffle instead of music, but the atmosphere soon picked up afterwards. Good night out as always! Great music, great company, great beer and not-so-great dancing. Woo! :D

Sunday was a bit more about the games for me. After The Hawk told me how great the VR section was I decided to go straight for that. Managed to beat most of the queue so only had to wait 5 mins and got on the robot game (the one a bit like Armoured Core). Seemed really good, but didn't quite seem as "amazing" as The Hawk suggested. Anyway, played more Pinball. I also had a go on the new Super Mario WiiU game which seemed like real good fun (the kitty costume's ace!), and I also managed to have a quick go on the new Zelda 3DS game which seemed great too. I'll certainly be getting those. I didn't spend too much time looking around the stalls as I've sold a lot of my collections off earlier this year, but there did seem to be a great selection of stuff on offer. I really did like the anime sword stall though - especially when the lad behind the counter posed with the Key Blade from Kingdom Hearts for me :D Later on we decided to give the VR Oculus prototype a go. Oh my word! Now I knew what The Hawk had been talking about. It was amazing! Had me ducking and diving, and even made me think twice about walking over a beam with a big drop either side (thanks vertigo). T'was excellent - far more fun than the games on the official stand! Was also fun watching others on it as you could see what they were seeing (unlike the official stand). Then the weekend came to an end after playing the rather fun Projector games next to the Oculus prototype.

Well done to the organisers, workers and volunteers, it was a smashing weekend!

Didn't meet many new people this year, but was great to finally meet dste and Shinobi. What a lovely couple of guys :) And a big hello to everyone else I spoke to and spent time with over the weekend. You're all fab!

dste

Post by dste » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Will add more pics and some thoughts when I get more time.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!