PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 12-13 October 2013, Manchester

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 12-13 October 2013, Manches

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:58 pm

witchfinder wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:I left it on Anna's chair in the office on Sunday morning... If it's lost I'll smilingly replace it, after issuing an apology :)
Hmm, it hasn't made it home but hopefully somebody picked it up. If that's the only thing I've lost this weekend I'll be happy... ;)
Oops... Hopefully that's all then!

During the pack-up I did notice a CDi was missing (but the controller was still there, oddly).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

uberpixel

Post by uberpixel » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:55 pm

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:09 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
witchfinder wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:I left it on Anna's chair in the office on Sunday morning... If it's lost I'll smilingly replace it, after issuing an apology :)
Hmm, it hasn't made it home but hopefully somebody picked it up. If that's the only thing I've lost this weekend I'll be happy... ;)
Oops... Hopefully that's all then!

During the pack-up I did notice a CDi was missing (but the controller was still there, oddly).
Computer club stock, controller isnt ours

Slick2097

Post by Slick2097 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:47 am

mainvein wrote:
nakamura wrote:I think I knocked off £2-3 from every title I purchased from them.
i thought console passions prices were pretty decent this year, their prices seem to have stayed the same for years whilst everyone elses were going up. Easy to talk to guys, a good laugh and always open to a bit of haggling, i got nearly £25 off my buys from them too.
Got to be honest, I thought CP's prices were pretty reasonable for most stuff this year, the boxed NeoGeoCD for £100 was pretty good I thought (considered buying it to replace my none boxed NGCD and then flogging that, but decided against it in the end).

Other stalls seemed pretty fair too, you'll always get chancers who add on a few quid as its "an event" and people are "caught in the moment" .. you just need to keep your normal head on and not get caught up in it all.

I just hope next year they don't do it the same weekend as our major upgrade in work so I can go for the full weekend :)

Ste.
--
Born from an egg on a mountain top.
RetroPassion - Why not :) ?

3DS FC: 4914 - 4863 - 2799

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:29 am

Looking back on the event, it was an absolute blast. I just wish I got to meet more forum members. I had no idea guys like Shinobi, Mainvein, Witchfinder, Twoheadedboy, Retrobob etc etc. Missed so many forum members.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:46 am

subzero wrote:play blackpool has been confirmed, the website is up and early bird tickets are already on sale..i'll be making this one!!!

http://www.playblackpool.com
Glad to hear it Steve, your constant badgering for us to return to Blackpool paid off!

subzero

Post by subzero » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:28 am

SirClive wrote:
subzero wrote:play blackpool has been confirmed, the website is up and early bird tickets are already on sale..i'll be making this one!!!

http://www.playblackpool.com
Glad to hear it Steve, your constant badgering for us to return to Blackpool paid off!
your damn right :D

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:18 pm

nakamura wrote:Looking back on the event, it was an absolute blast. I just wish I got to meet more forum members. I had no idea guys like Shinobi, Mainvein, Witchfinder, Twoheadedboy, Retrobob etc etc. Missed so many forum members.
I saw you, was taking to Darren near the canteen area, you had a word with Darren and walked off before I got to say hi!

Panther Clipper

Post by Panther Clipper » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:49 pm

I went had a super time, i didnt get on as many pinball, arcade machines as i would like, but I was more than compensated by playing pc engine games all afternoon, the retro selection was truly brilliant, i couldnt get my brother off the vectrex. Its a shame i didnt really get to interact with many people and discuss the games, it was quite boisterous but apart from that i would love to go back next year. did anyone see what Jeff Minter was wearing by the way?
"By what name are you known?"
"There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?"
"greetings, Tim the Enchanter."

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:42 am

I must admit i just love those Vectrex machines, just look amazing (Remember theres a superb Vectrex app out there !), i was playing Scramble a lot on Dylans own Vectrex (by the Speccy's and Beebs). A brilliant machine

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:19 am

psj3809 wrote:(Remember theres a superb Vectrex app out there !)
That can't be as good as a proper vector screen, can it? I've got a Vectrex emulator on the PSP and it just seems lifeless by comparison.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:36 am

psj3809 wrote:I must admit i just love those Vectrex machines, just look amazing (Remember theres a superb Vectrex app out there !), i was playing Scramble a lot on Dylans own Vectrex (by the Speccy's and Beebs). A brilliant machine
Thou shalt not emulate the Vectrex,

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:32 pm

sscott wrote:
nakamura wrote:Looking back on the event, it was an absolute blast. I just wish I got to meet more forum members. I had no idea guys like Shinobi, Mainvein, Witchfinder, Twoheadedboy, Retrobob etc etc. Missed so many forum members.
I saw you, was taking to Darren near the canteen area, you had a word with Darren and walked off before I got to say hi!
That's a pity. If it was the saturday I probably would have puked on you anyway! :oops:
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

pinkfearie

Post by pinkfearie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:53 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Eeh, what a weekend etc. Loved it overall! I'll try and explain why, for fun. Only got back at 12pm today and then went to work at 1pm until about two hours ago - overall I'm completely buggered, but it was worth it :D

Alphabetical acknowledgements as I remember them...

Ms. Amy (have you got a forum name? We finally meet! etc),
Thats me :D

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:01 pm

Badges next time? Although I can imagine people squinting at mine saying 'whats a flatapex? ' and forum peeps thinking 'oh god not him, he is awful'