PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 12-13 October 2013, Manchester

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Joey

Re: PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 12-13 October 2013, Manches

Post by Joey » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:17 am

koopa42 wrote:Good to see an event doing well, what do people think about them announcing next year's within a week of other events? Alls fair in love and war? Or cynical bullyboy sly dogness? Enquiring mind want to know, serious discussion?
Dates are held and confirmed with venues a long time before they are announced to the public. If another event is announced in the meantime that happens to be on the same date (or very close) it's no ones fault really, just one of those things.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:21 am

So coincidence crossed with planning ahead? It's plausible

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:40 am

koopa42 wrote:So coincidence crossed with planning ahead? It's plausible
I'm sure when they book it they dont sit there thinking 'who can we annoy ? Lets do it the same date as...' etc ! Probably takes a while to get the date sorted, then i 'presume' they then talk to say some possible sponsors/large companies to make sure Nintendo/other sponsors etc or whoever can make those dates and then once most of the 'main' companies/sponsors and others can make it they then announce the date publically. With an event this large (Blackpool might be smaller but still large) there must be a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes before they announce it to all.

Looking at retromissions website or twitter feed i couldnt see the date announced there, was mentioned on their Facebook account but it seemed to suggest that date wasnt set in stone (so dont book hotels you cant cancel)

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:54 am

This was first gaming event I've been to, loved every minute of it, even just waiting in the que was a good laugh, the first thing I did once I got in was wait in another que for Mario Kart 8 but it was well worth it, what a game! next up it was onto the pinball machines, arcade machines, consoles etc,

i've never played on an actual real pinball machine for about 20 years so that was an experience!
next up was the stalls, bought a few bits, I could have spent a fortune on games/merchandise but had to resist.

Also the amount of people with a 3DS was crazy, literally everyone around me in every que I was in had one, I didn't see even 1 vita, I ended up with hundreds of 3DS streetpasses :lol:

I was only there for the Saturday but wish I had booked a hotel all weekend, cant wait till next year, defo gunna be a weekend pass & hotel jobby.

Well done to everyone involved :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:04 am

I put my thoughts up here.
Overall, I liked it

http://blog.retrogamer.net/general/play ... -thoughts/

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:01 am

Well being at home yesterday rather than enjoying a 2nd day at the expo certainly was an odd feeling, but i still had a really great time on the Saturday, what a fantastic expo!
First things first i wanna say a massive congratulations and thanks for how well the entry to the event worked this year, not only was it smooth and quick but it was also very obvious that effort was being made to keep it moving unlike last year which, well we know about last year :p so yeah massive improvement there.
Secondly it was fantastic to have more traders this year i normally end up spending on average around £200 in console passion only to discover i could have gotten every single item cheaper but this year i spent not one penny there and instead gave my hard earned spends to the other traders and feel like i came away with a good deal. I think the difference in pricing on SNES consoles alone shows why we've wanted more traders for so long. Was also fantastic to see so many traders selling other cool stuff, i bought a "Greys Sports Almanac" which i'm going to frame, and i seriously regret not buying some of that BLIK wall art :( seriously though i could have spent thousands this year i'm amazed how well i managed to control myself
Of course the big change is just how much better laid out the event was, despite everything being bigger and better than ever before it still felt roomy and moving between areas was easy. Some fantastic new additions to the Retro area (actually made me like an apple product when i played mario on that Apple IIc!!) and the layout of the newly enlarged pinball and arcade areas felt much nicer, things were better spaced out and the whole area was less claustrophobic. My favorite addition to these areas though was the weird arcade game with the metal bar controlled by 2 joysticks, man was that thing ever addictive! i want one as i must complete it!
For me the only disappointment this year was from projector games, i think what they do is unique and truly works amazingly well at large events like this but every year it gets smaller and smaller to the point where this year it just didn't seem worth while, any reason for the downgrade on this? surely im not the only one here who really enjoys it?
Anyway all in all a fantastic event, massive thanks to everyone involved, i can't wait for the next one you absolute legends!
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:23 am

Console passion consistently had the best condition items and the best prices.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:25 am

Joey wrote:
koopa42 wrote:Good to see an event doing well, what do people think about them announcing next year's within a week of other events? Alls fair in love and war? Or cynical bullyboy sly dogness? Enquiring mind want to know, serious discussion?
Dates are held and confirmed with venues a long time before they are announced to the public. If another event is announced in the meantime that happens to be on the same date (or very close) it's no ones fault really, just one of those things.
That is what I thought. Yes it looks bad and people are clearly throwing their toys out with no actual evidence. Unless we know otherwise we can't really point the finger.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

subzero

Post by subzero » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:43 am

nakamura wrote:
Joey wrote:
That is what I thought. Yes it looks bad and people are clearly throwing their toys out with no actual evidence. Unless we know otherwise we can't really point the finger.
play blackpool has been confirmed, the website is up and early bird tickets are already on sale..i'll be making this one!!!

www.playblackpool.com

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:20 am

Loved it this year, it was good to be back & meet up with some of the lovely lovely people that go to these things, you know who you are.

Only downsides are that I missed all 3 talks I wanted to see (Bedrooms to Billions, Hewson & Tony Temple), the gridlocked traffic outside at 6 o'clock when I wanted to nip home for half an hour & that because I spent most of the time with the 3 mates I brought, I never really got to meet any of the folks from here that I'd not already met before, the likes of psj, markopoloman & jdanddiet and the like .....or maybe I did meet them & just didn't realise....hell if it was Saturday night there's every chance I could have had a 2 hour conversation & not remember!! :oops:

Oh & in spite of seeing him at so many retro events before it's the first time I had a chat with Jeff Minter...what a lovely fella, absolutely criminal that he's not raking it in for his amazing ios & android games. The Tempest game on the Vita is astonishing, really hope it does well for him.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:42 am

Glad you all enjoyed yourselves. In the end I couldn't make it. Am both annoyed and envious. Next year....

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:33 am

What a great weekend and, as always, a pleasure to be working with the Replay crew again. Everything ran so much smoother this year and with the help of a great team of volunteers I think it was hugely successful.

Not having to work on the Sunday meant I got some time to play a load of games and meet a load of forum members. Playing Unreal tournament on the PC lan with markopoloman and his lads was especially fun and also finally getting to speak to dste, nakamura, shinobi and others was great, though it seems I missed alot of people again.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:55 am

I actually thought console passion's prices were great. I didnt buy from anyone else as a result.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:57 am

^You can kinda haggle with them, as long as you dont take the piss (really we cant say that word on here?)
£21 for Jackie chan on PC Engine?

Ill give you £20 for it

Not much of a discount but who wants to arse around with change.

Some goit was grabbing a load and price checking prices on Ebay

Still going to an event with money is great,

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:27 am

I think I knocked off £2-3 from every title I purchased from them.