PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 12-13 October 2013, Manchester

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

flatapex

Re: PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 12-13 October 2013, Manches

Post by flatapex » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:14 pm

If anyone wants to introduce themselves to me I would appreciate it, I will be wearing a purple atari hoodie, will most likely be with my missus she is short with brown shoulder length hair and glasses and my mate he is tall and ginger

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:35 pm

I WANNA LICK EVERYONE INVOLVED IN REPLAY IN THEIR LOVELY FACES.

If anyone want to say hi to me tomorrow I'll be the one hungover to fook.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:36 am

Twas good, bumped into Pforson, MPM and Vinny and also Witchfinder briefly. Rammed, all day. Enjoy trashing peeps at Carmageddon II LAN. Woo and indeed ha. Nice one. Was way busy didnt see loads of people. Saw boggy, Helensification and possibly Fegelkarp (you were wearing the wrestling mask?)

In no way was that a bad queue, much better than last year, also lots and lots busier than last year
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

dste

Post by dste » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:29 am

I'm now volunteering in the retro section for a bit so come and say hello to a tired looking unshaven fellow with glasses. :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:39 am

Went yesterday , loved every minute of it. Shame I couldn't say hello to any forum heads, I was just too busy soaking up all my nostalgia feels of this amazing place. Next year I will definitely be staying both days. Came away with some solid trade stuff too.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Well its that time again, the come down after the event !

Really enjoyed it, yeah the small shows are great but the large ones are excellent. Last year there were too many swearing kids playing online games but this year there seemed none of that, think they were 'out the way'

Tons of retro consoles/computers/tabletops to have a go on, pinball machines, tons of stalls selling stuff compared to last year. Was great

Met tons of great people, a lot of the regulars, Rinoa, Boggy, SirClive, PeteF, DPrinny, Twoheadedboy (worlds strongest handshake), dste, Jason.K, jdanddiet (nice 2-2 draw at Match Day), Paul Drury, Darran and the gang, Nakamura (great lad) and many others. Met a couple of regulars from World of Spectrum as well

Looking forward to receiving my 3d model in the post, one stall didnt have a 3d printer with them but had all the machinery to take in the 3d image, 2 weeks later i'll get a 'mini me' (small plastic figure) in the post, looking forward to that. Food was so so, last year i thought there were a few places to eat, barbeque burgers etc, this years was pretty tame but the queues werent that long to be fair. But at the end of the day you're a small walk from tons of food places at the trafford centre so cant moan too much. I know there was a bit of a queue outside to get in but with that many people theres always gonna be a bit of a queue.

The chat by Andrew Hewson was great, met him afterwards, really nice bloke, Jim Bagley as always was great to say hi to (His iOS game Apple Dash is really good). Chatted a lot to the lead singer of British IBM (the indie band), really top bloke.

Just had a really good time both days, did tons of walking around looking at stuff, trying some old consoles. Good to talk to Jeff Minter (and even had a small go on a Jaguar) Great weekend though. Hats off to the Play Expo crew as it must be a lot of work for that many people. Roll on Blackpool May '14

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:24 pm

what an amazing weekend, tickets to playexpo were my birthday present (in august) so it was sort of a second birthday for me, albeit 2 months late.

didnt meet many people from the forum apart from dprinny (again), darran and nakamura- what a great bunch of lads, i also met mike from bits of joy and also met up with stew aka ninjabearhug, i had met him before though.

played on so many systems it was unbelievable, have come to the conclusion that i want a pc engine and an amiga cd32, i am not allowed either as apparently the bills and wedding wont pay for themselves.
Took some bits and pieces with me for various swaps, traded in shadow dancer for the master system as i didnt enjoy it, got £5 for it, add in £1 of my own and i got myself a mint condition copy of the aquatic games on md.
I tried to take pictures of every console I played for the first time, will sort through them tomorrow and will try and list them on my blog, going to do a massive write up and update my retrocollect profile. some of it might have to wait till i have had a full night's sleep

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Here's some of the first photos uploaded here, will edit with captions in a bit...

Me (on right), JetSetWilly and Felgekarp

Simon (mohican kid) shows Felgekarp (picture here as a Mexican wrestler ;) ) a thing or two about locks and stuff
Dam and DSTE
DPrinny in his Doom get-up
the boys at Retrocollect...
... and also Amibay...
TMR and me
TMR (cheeky) and fgaskin
jdandiet, markopoloman and Dste
me and jdanddiet (graeme)
Lots of pinball... hard to get on though...
Candy cabs
Boggy!
Lots of fun, will add feedback laterzzz... :D
Last edited by sscott on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Had a great time. Thanks to everyone who said nice things about the mag, nakamura for convincing me to go and markopoloman for once again driving us up. Cracking good fun.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Knackered! Left at 3.30pm - just got in the door and it is 9.15pm! It's a long old drive but well worth it :D

What a ferkin quality weekend - drove up with 2 of my sons (mike-o-poloman & tom-o-pololad), Darran 'Amstrad is rubbish' Jones and Nakamura - he apparently has a name, but Darran's Cousin will do :lol: :wink:

Far better set up than last year with no last minute disasters keeping that lot outside in the cold cold wind - and those complaining about waiting, there were like 8000 people there!!! No way is there not going to be a queue for the initial rush.

The Retro section was extraordinary - last year it seemed swamped by the modern stuff but this year it was spread over a massive area. The biggest difference for me in that area was the inclusion of loads of PC's lan'd together with a fantastic selection of games (Star trek Elite Forces, UT, Quake, Doom, Starcraft, C&C:RA, C&C & others) - had a great laugh on those.

Met LOADS of forumites - if I miss any, sorry! psj, jd&diet, dste, Dam, RMLF, Sscott, starshipUK, mohicankid, helensification, Dprinny (aka Doom bloke), TMR (Thanks for that little program on the C128 :wink: :lol: ), Rinoa and many more....
MISSED... spector (I think), flatapex, TheHawk (everyone kept harking on about getting a big sloppy kiss on the head... and I missed it :cry: ).... samhain81 - you need to say hi to us :wink: :D

Thanks to the team behind the event - Gordon (sirclive), Dave (arcadian), helen, simon and the others that I don't remember names of at the mo. SO GLAD I'VE GOT TOMORROW OFF :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:00 pm

Somebody complained about queuing up to play on the Oculus rift

Well Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:27 pm

Came along again with my bro, here are my thoughts...

Retro section - more on offer this year and we both agreed the choice of games was better

Pro-play - very pleased to see the "professional" nob heads were nowhere to be seen, definite improvement

Food - again an improvement on last year, was run by the in house catering rather than burger vans stinking the place out. Selection was pretty decent too and short queues :-) I much appreciated a bacon sarnie this morning after skipping breakfast to get there on time!

Traders - finally there are more console sellers than Console Passion, I bought from there and several others (you can never have too many RGB scart cables), except for the one guy who barely seemed to sell a thing all weekend because his prices mental (the one where everything was priced up in £s and Euros).

Orientation of the set up meant it took a while to know where everything was - the arcades were a bit weirdly laid out, but plenty of them.

The organisation of the event seems to improve each year (sounds like the talks actually went ahead which is good), THANK YOU and well done everyone involved.
Last edited by RetroBob on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Oh dear, Frank's going to kill me when he sees the bunny ears... =-)

That was a great weekend, thinking back now it's pretty much a happy blur of talking to interesting people, catching up with friends, posing for or taking photos and occasionally having to deal with the OSG Spectrum +2 when it crashed or one of the event goers power cycled it. My legs will probably take a week to recover from all the standing but it's well worth it. =-)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:09 am

Good to see an event doing well, what do people think about them announcing next year's within a week of other events? Alls fair in love and war? Or cynical bullyboy sly dogness? Enquiring mind want to know, serious discussion?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:14 am

koopa42 wrote:Good to see an event doing well, what do people think about them announcing next year's within a week of other events? Alls fair in love and war? Or cynical bullyboy sly dogness? Enquiring mind want to know, serious discussion?
I dont know the in's and outs, i'm sure the Blackpool venue cant just be booked up on any date you want, i'm glad theres another big event like this. Doubt it was intentional. The Manchester shows in October, this new ones in May nearly 6 months apart, kinda makes sense.

Sure theres enough people who can go to both, a fair few dont seem to like travelling further than 20 miles so they probably wouldnt go to the Blackpool one anyway.