PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 12-13 October 2013, Manchester

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Re: PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 12-13 October 2013, Manches

Post by SirClive » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:25 am

The venue have told us that the PA has been completely upgraded this year.

Will will try and announce a time for the community shout outs in advance, but it is not always possible.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:13 am

4pm Saturday by the stage?

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:08 am

We will announce closer to the time when we know the schedule.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:58 am

Will the big screens be up and running this time? A big message up there might catch those who can't hear the tannoy (not forgetting there's some of us hard of hearing, especially in the din of the games around).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:53 am

Bought my mate tickets for both of us and his three kids to go on the Sunday for his birthday, apart from possibly the stalls and obviously the guests, is there any difference between the two days? We went saturday last year (and queued for HOURS with three hyperactive children, hopefully the admission systems working better this time.)

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 am

Treguard wrote:Bought my mate tickets for both of us and his three kids to go on the Sunday for his birthday, apart from possibly the stalls and obviously the guests, is there any difference between the two days? We went saturday last year (and queued for HOURS with three hyperactive children, hopefully the admission systems working better this time.)
I've been to loads of retro shows before and generally, Sunday is a bit quieter later on.

I'm guessing they will have addressed the queue issue which was a bit of a pain as you said, if I recall the announcement it was at least partly due to an electrical fault which delayed us from going in. I'm not involved though so let's see what SirClive says.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi folks, I dealt with the fallout from the queuing issues last year so to explain the situation I will post a copy of the response sent to the (very few) people who complained.
It is always disappointing when we hear that a paying customers experience was not to the high standard that we set ourselves. I was overall event manager for Play Expo 2012, so the buck stops with me and I will try to address your issues as fully as I can.

Delaying the opening of a show is always a last resort, especially when you have a large number of people already waiting to come in. However, during the setup of the show we were let down on a number of occasions by a company we hired to provide all of our audio/visual services. This resulted in in us having to divert event staff to helping set up technical areas. As we approached opening time it was clear that we would have a health and safety issue if we allowed the public into the event hall and I had to make the call to delay opening by half an hour. We were able to get into a position to open, but as a result had less people available for queue management, compounding issues. To try and repay the patience of our visitors we agreed with the venue to remain open for a further 2 hours and were able to get virtually all of the individual exhibitors to remain open. Whilst not all could benefit from the later closing, we hope this gesture was appreciated by the majority.

I am very sorry that your experience was not completely positive and I would like to offer you a personal guarantee that I and my team will do all we can to address the issues and return next year with a show that you will be talking about for all the right reasons.
I will be honest and say that we were caught out by the demand. We expected a lot of people to come to the show, pre-sales had been very good, but we did not expect over 2,000 people to be queuing at 10am! But rest assured that we have taken all those harsh lessons into account and have put plans in place to ensure we don't get a repeat this year.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:35 pm

Treguard wrote:Bought my mate tickets for both of us and his three kids to go on the Sunday for his birthday, apart from possibly the stalls and obviously the guests, is there any difference between the two days? We went saturday last year (and queued for HOURS with three hyperactive children, hopefully the admission systems working better this time.)
The only difference will be the guests and maybe the odd tournament. All the same features will be available and all the same traders.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:38 pm

And something that people will want to see on the stage.

I VILL SAY NO MOREZ!!

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:04 am

DPrinny wrote:And something that people will want to see on the stage.

I VILL SAY NO MOREZ!!
IDKFA ?

:wink:

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Apropos of nothing I just had this overwhelming flurry of sheer joy remembering that I'm going to this. I've been away from "the Scene" for far too long. I can't wait!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:26 am

Looking forward to grabbing a beer with you Mr Hawk :)

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Likewise Sir. :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Dam

Post by Dam » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:31 pm

Anybody got any hotel tips? I think I've left this one a bit late....

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Dam wrote:Anybody got any hotel tips? I think I've left this one a bit late....
A few hostels round Manchester.

If your really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really desperate I have a sofa