PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 12-13 October 2013, Manchester

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 12-13 October 2013, Manches

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Eeh, what a weekend etc. Loved it overall! I'll try and explain why, for fun. Only got back at 12pm today and then went to work at 1pm until about two hours ago - overall I'm completely buggered, but it was worth it :D

I was on the "staff" this year with responsibilities and everything, loved doing that. Always happy to help, always always, but ESPECIALLY with something that's as much fun as this. And I even got to play a lot of games and stuff too. Mostly pinball (Lord of the Rings and Wizard of Oz being the best tables), plus Taiko Drum Master (still the best game ever), some Projector Games, the prototype version of Oculus Rift (scary stuff, I almost fell over)... Got some soap as well.

So yes, massive thanks and congratulations to the organisers and the staff and the volunteers and all the happy happy people who attended (except that jumped up little-big-man from "the Press" who believed he shouldn't have to queue for anything).

Alphabetical acknowledgements as I remember them...

Ms. Amy (have you got a forum name? We finally meet! etc), Mr. Andy (organiser man), Ms. Anna (provider of haggis), Mr. Arcadian (lifesaver), Mr. Boggy (Talking Head), Mr. Cauterize (cheers to your buddy there), Mr. Dam (finally made it to Fab!), Mr. dste (huggable), Mr. Dprinny (costume of the show), Mr. Felgekarp (mask), Ms. Helensification and your kid, Mr. JDandDiet (alpha-male), Mr. JetSetWilly (funny voice), Mr. Mohicankid (waltz), Mr. Pforson (Ich habe schmetterlinge im meinem bauch), Mr. PSJ (sorry about the handshake - we've been to about a hundred shows at the same time as each other and this was the first time I met you and I got overexcited), Mr. Psychorob (a round of applause), Ms. Rinoa (Taiko!), Mr. Shinobi (more presents! Cheers as ever), Mr. SirClive (chief Northerner), Mr. Sscott (brief but there we go), Mr. the_hawk (November 20th :D ), Mr. Video Game Carnival Top Hat Man, Mr. Vinny (Ta for the tea), Mr. Witchfinder (stopped me from freezing to DEATH), Ms. Ying Ying (friendly and super-helpful and good cakes)... Probably forgot several there.

Overall though, possibly best ever. Well done :D
Last edited by TwoHeadedBoy on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Overall, had a great weekend. Was fantastic to see you all again (2 years seems like a lot longer), catch up, and eventually, get p!ssed together :D . Bought quite a lot of stuff, too, mainly from Attic Bug (the Wii, the selection of games, the Bob Waklin art and GUTZ mug :D ) and Console Passion (Sherlock Holmes Vol.1 & 2, Sega Classics MCD, Predator 2 SMS, The Flintstones MD), and I have to say, prices on both stalls were just about right. The less said about the charlatan selling the well beaten up copy of Young Merlin on the SNES for £15 the better. And, thanks to Rinoa for introducing me to Muscle March and that drum game THB mentioned, which were utterly bonkers, but bloody enjoyable.

Cant wait for May, now, so I guess I'd better start saving :D

@THB: funny voice, indeed :lol:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:03 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:Overall, had a great weekend. Was fantastic to see you all again (2 years seems like a lot longer), catch up, and eventually, get p!ssed together :D . Bought quite a lot of stuff, too, mainly from Attic Bug (the Wii, the selection of games, the Bob Waklin art and GUTZ mug :D ) and Console Passion (Sherlock Holmes Vol.1 & 2, Sega Classics MCD, Predator 2 SMS, The Flintstones MD), and I have to say, prices on both stalls were just about right. The less said about the charlatan selling the well beaten up copy of Young Merlin on the SNES for £15 the better. And, thanks to Rinoa for introducing me to Muscle March and that drum game THB mentioned, which were utterly bonkers, but bloody enjoyable.

sorry for missing you too mate, i forgot that my description of me is pretty much the same as the other chap helping on the retrocollect stand :-) i also seem to have once again missed many forum members who i have been wanting to meet in the flesh for years now (shinobi, nakamura etc) and also didnt get chance to speak enough to those i have already met, we were non stop over on the retrocollect stand, so much so that i only got to go out and play on machines twice totalling about an hour all weekend.

But i enjoyed playing Toss Bag Pro arcade and learning they ways of bank panic so i can beat Witchfinders wife to be's score someday :lol: (i doubt that i will ever come close)

and at the very end of the weekend a sweaty teenager called me a censored because i wouldnt give him a hug, odd way to finish but it did make me laugh out loud :lol:

roll on blackpool i say :D

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:08 pm

mainvein wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:Overall, had a great weekend. Was fantastic to see you all again (2 years seems like a lot longer), catch up, and eventually, get p!ssed together :D . Bought quite a lot of stuff, too, mainly from Attic Bug (the Wii, the selection of games, the Bob Waklin art and GUTZ mug :D ) and Console Passion (Sherlock Holmes Vol.1 & 2, Sega Classics MCD, Predator 2 SMS, The Flintstones MD), and I have to say, prices on both stalls were just about right. The less said about the charlatan selling the well beaten up copy of Young Merlin on the SNES for £15 the better. And, thanks to Rinoa for introducing me to Muscle March and that drum game THB mentioned, which were utterly bonkers, but bloody enjoyable.

sorry for missing you too mate, i forgot that my description of me is pretty much the same as the other chap helping on the retrocollect stand :-) i also seem to have once again missed many forum members who i have been wanting to meet in the flesh for years now (shinobi, nakamura etc) and also didnt get chance to speak enough to those i have already met, we were non stop over on the retrocollect stand, so much so that i only got to go out and play on machines twice totalling about an hour all weekend.

But i enjoyed playing Toss Bag Pro arcade and learning they ways of bank panic so i can beat Witchfinders wife to be's score someday :lol: (i doubt that i will ever come close)

and at the very end of the weekend a sweaty teenager called me a censored because i wouldnt give him a hug, odd way to finish but it did make me laugh out loud :lol:

roll on blackpool i say :D
:lol: :lol: no problem mate. I could see it was quite busy, so its understandable. I'll get the money off to you for the dvd this friday if thats ok (slight topic derailment!!)
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Gillers

Post by Gillers » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:24 pm

Bit dissapointed that I could only go for one day this year, if I had I would have considered queuing for Oculus Rift and Assassin's Creed 4.
I too was a bit upset about the size of projector games, its something I always look forward to playing.
Big thanks to Joey for the Steel Battalion and for Retro Collect for stashing it while i got very disappointed in the raffle.

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:17 am

I'm quite surprised reading the general comments about the prices being good - I thought that it would have been full of Atari Combat's selling at £19.99 and so on. Sounds like it would have been a fun weekend despite the queuing. Doesn't sound like there were the same disagreements that spiced up earlier events, such as the EGL people in 2011: "...we were already half-cut when we arrived..." :lol: Hope to make one of these events next year.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:25 am

To be fair at any event where there is 2000-4000 people its probably near impossible to stop long queues (specially as so many people get there 2 hours earl !), any gig i've been to at that sort of size theres always nightmare queues and that.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:21 am

|Me on ques next year in a full DOOMbloke costume

GET IN LINE MAGGOTS!!
BY THE LEFT!!

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:31 am

I didn't find the ques to bad, arrived around half 9 and there was about 100 people in the que, went to the Trafford centre had some breakfast, got back to the expo for 11 and the que was right around the building and looped back round on its self, I could see it from inside the Trafford centre!
I was kicking myself for not queing earlier when I seen it but once I got to it it just seemed to fly by, must of taken about 15-20 min tops.

This is the ticket master que im talking about, no idea about the other one for the non ticket holders.
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:48 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Mr. Witchfinder (stopped me from freezing to DEATH)
Speaking of which, have you still got my hoodie? :)
psj3809 wrote:To be fair at any event where there is 2000-4000 people its probably near impossible to stop long queues
Very true, but we believe that the main queue had over 6000 people in it on Saturday morning! Most important thing was that from the second the doors opened, it moved... :D
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:55 am

TheNewMonkey wrote:I didn't find the ques to bad, arrived around half 9 and there was about 100 people in the que, went to the Trafford centre had some breakfast, got back to the expo for 11 and the que was right around the building and looped back round on its self, I could see it from inside the Trafford centre!
I was kicking myself for not queing earlier when I seen it but once I got to it it just seemed to fly by, must of taken about 15-20 min tops.

This is the ticket master que im talking about, no idea about the other one for the non ticket holders.
I waited in one Saturday (when I could of just walked in)
We are British and we should be used to ques by now

I SUGGEST ADVANCED QUE SIMULATOR FOR THE RIFT!!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:00 am

witchfinder wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Mr. Witchfinder (stopped me from freezing to DEATH)
Speaking of which, have you still got my hoodie? :)
I left it on Anna's chair in the office on Sunday morning... If it's lost I'll smilingly replace it, after issuing an apology :)
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:10 pm

Been some time since I posted on the old RG forums but I've attended (Re)Play every year so far and I have to say that it's become one of the main highlights of the calendar for me (aside from the obvious; birthday, Christmas, annual bath and such) and this year has been no exception. Hopefully I'll be able to attend both in 2014.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:01 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:I left it on Anna's chair in the office on Sunday morning... If it's lost I'll smilingly replace it, after issuing an apology :)
Hmm, it hasn't made it home but hopefully somebody picked it up. If that's the only thing I've lost this weekend I'll be happy... ;)
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:39 pm

True, the queue did move pretty quick. I was too busy streetpassing to care to be honest!
Xbox Live: RetroBob