PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 12-13 October 2013, Manchester

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroBob

Re: PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 12-13 October 2013, Manches

Post by RetroBob » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:57 am

TheNewMonkey wrote:Also the amount of people with a 3DS was crazy, literally everyone around me in every que I was in had one, I didn't see even 1 vita, I ended up with hundreds of 3DS streetpasses :lol:
It was indeed streetpass heaven!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:21 pm

RetroBob wrote:Came along again with my bro, here are my thoughts...

Retro section - more on offer this year and we both agreed the choice of games was better

Pro-play - very pleased to see the "professional" nob heads were nowhere to be seen, definite improvement

Food - again an improvement on last year, was run by the in house catering rather than burger vans stinking the place out. Selection was pretty decent too and short queues :-) I much appreciated a bacon sarnie this morning after skipping breakfast to get there on time!

Traders - finally there are more console sellers than Console Passion, I bought from there and several others (you can never have too many RGB scart cables), except for the one guy who barely seemed to sell a thing all weekend because his prices mental (the one where everything was priced up in £s and Euros).

Orientation of the set up meant it took a while to know where everything was - the arcades were a bit weirdly laid out, but plenty of them.

The organisation of the event seems to improve each year (sounds like the talks actually went ahead which is good), THANK YOU and well done everyone involved.
I think the guy you mentioned with prices in £'s and euros was the only trader that had master system games that i didnt buy from, unless he restocked midway through the weekend he must only have sold half a dozen games.

Spyke

Post by Spyke » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:58 pm

I enjoyed it and got to play a lot of old arcade shooters I hadnt played before: Salamander 2 was great and a Raiden DX cab.

I did kinda miss the option of getting chips (the edible kind) and I'd hoped to see an Xbox ONE presence there but hey ho.

I added a few games to my DC collection (spent £66 at CP and was refused any discount) but at least I got Skies of Arcadia at really quite a fair price.

Loved the SF4 tournament battles too!

Ant
PAL PS2, GC+freeloader, PAL PS1 (Jp-import-chipped), Jp Sega Saturn, PAL DC
Sore thumbs

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:03 pm

now i have had a bit of rest (literally a bit) I can write a more detailed account of things (which will do till I do my blog report)

Systems- wow, just wow, I think nearly every system I have heard of was there, don't think there were any neo geo pockets there but thats it, I was the guy with the Samsung camera that came out for a badly composed picture of virtually every system he played on that he didnt own. Highlights were pc engine, amiga cd32 and the rare sega's. I saw a cd32 for sale on the amibay stand and was sternly told "no, we have a wedding to pay for''

catering- hell with me this should be the top of the list, think it was £4 for a burger which I virtually inhaled for my dinner on the saturday, the event catering was expensive but thats exactly what it was, event catering. I have since heard it was much more expensive last year, the trafford centre was only accross the road, and next to that is asda (with mcdonalds in) so its not like we were captive.

Traders- well like I said I bought a LOT, I say a lot but I have been saving up for a month or two and spent what I would have done. As Retrobob mentioned there was 1 trader that seemed to add a premium onto what everyone else was charging for the same thing, I think he was the one charging £8 for The Ninja (ms) and £15 for Shadow Dancer (also ms). As a guide I bought the ninja for £4 from consolepassion (I paid more because it was in stunning condition) and I sold a mint copy of shadow dancer for £5 to the trader from York, he put it up for sale for £10.
There were loads of other sellers that had good stuff, including the sorts of not all that valuable stuff that commands more than its worth, I bought a ps1 pad for £2.50, loads of odds and ends for a few £'s each. filled a carrier bag to the brim, and my backpack and paid less than £30.

Staying over- If you get the chance for the right price- DO IT!!!! as an idea, I live in Radcliffe (if you dont know where it is, routeplanner it) and we stayed over in old trafford as the trafford centre hotels wanted loads. We paid about £35, the room was nice but unfortunatly some idiots decided to start their night in the room 2 away from us, we were walking down the corridor and they started making remarks at us, we went into our room and 10 minutes later after lots of screaming, dropping of glasses and shouting at eachother, they left. we went down to reception and they moved us to another room at the other end of the hotel, it was really quiet.

The arcade and pinball- again, I have to say I have never seen so many arcade machines and pinball machines in one place, ever. only things missing in my opinion were virtua racing and super off road, but hey with a screen name like mine i guess you can tell I am a little bit obsessive about racing games. The lack of virtua racing was more than made up for by retrocollect having a competition on it, I came 3rd overall which isnt bad for a game I only own via a sega collection on the ps2.

I'm thinking of going to the one next year in Blackpool but cant make the one in Gateshead as much as I would love to, I am busy getting married that day and anyone that met future mrs flatapex knows I would be stupid to choose games over her (I have 8 consoles, she puts up with a lot)

If anyone knows when next year's event is, I will definitely be up for it as long as I am not elsewhere for wedding/honeymoon related things

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:06 pm

Did you buy Power Drive?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:14 pm

nakamura wrote:Did you buy Power Drive?
yep :D

not had chance to play it but methinks I got a bit of a bargain as well, thanks for the tip.

Also picked up a mint condition copy of warm up for the ps1 (just needs the front of the case replacing, but that is why we have cash generator- to supply lame ps1 budget games for 50p to donate cases), turns out the only gameplay video isnt even in english, looking forward to having a blast through that as well, that one came free from the retrocollect stand :D

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:58 pm

nakamura wrote:I think I knocked off £2-3 from every title I purchased from them.
i thought console passions prices were pretty decent this year, their prices seem to have stayed the same for years whilst everyone elses were going up. Easy to talk to guys, a good laugh and always open to a bit of haggling, i got nearly £25 off my buys from them too.

Mamemeister

Post by Mamemeister » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Chaps, appreciate a bit of help please. I noticed one stall was selling modded Saturns for £75. After I left I wished I had bought one. Don't suppose anyone could tell me the name of the stall / company with a link per chance?

Many thanks

Alan

badger2609

Post by badger2609 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:58 pm

Not long back after driving from Manchester to Cambridge, and just thought I'd pass on my thoughts on the weekend

I think this years event was absolutely great. I've been to all four re:play - play events now and I'd say that this is only 2nd to the first event in Blackpool. It had a very similar feel to it even though in terms of size there was a huge difference. There was so much going on with so many pinball tables, arcade cabs, consoles and traders I didn't know where to go first. As always I spent a huge amount of time in the pinball area which had such a wide variety of tables there was something for everyone. The amount of traders also made sure that people had more choice than ever before, and I saw plenty of people spending their hard earned cash
It was nice to have a few more catering choices than the one wagon last year which always seemed to have large queues. The food was ok, usual high prices but that's what you expect at events like this. The one thing I didn't get was how they managed to run out of beer on the Sunday. I know there were a lot of people there but surely these things could have been planned a little better. The catering firm must have lost out on a lot of revenue because the only alternatives were bottles, and I know a lot of people that weren't prepared to spend £3.90 on a bottle of Becks.
All in all it was a great weekend, expensive when you cater in hotels, fuel, tickets etc but I for one wouldn't miss it. My mate and I will continue to keep going as long as it is on. A big hand to all the organisers because they put in a massive amount of work to get this event on and don't get nearly enough praise for the work they do, so from me a massive thank you.
One last thing, thanks to MohicanKid for sorting out my mates entry, when the idiot left his ticket at home. He managed to call home and get all his reference details but we weren't sure if he would have to pay again. It was all sorted out very quickly and the halfwit joined us inside soon after. Cheers MohicanKid :)

subzero

Post by subzero » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:59 pm

Mamemeister wrote:Chaps, appreciate a bit of help please. I noticed one stall was selling modded Saturns for £75. After I left I wished I had bought one. Don't suppose anyone could tell me the name of the stall / company with a link per chance?

Many thanks

Alan
thought you didnt go to these big 'corporate events' Alan??

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:00 pm

I see the Funstock stall were flogging the infamous Game Gadget for £25 & had 10% vouchers. I have to admit I was pretty damn tempted, but I have way too many handheld devices loaded with emulators as it is.

Feel really sorry for any poor sod that paid 100 quid for one!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:14 pm

Mamemeister wrote:Chaps, appreciate a bit of help please. I noticed one stall was selling modded Saturns for £75. After I left I wished I had bought one. Don't suppose anyone could tell me the name of the stall / company with a link per chance?

Many thanks

Alan
right I dont know about saturns but with a photographic memory I can try and help you work it out.

There was a massive stall on the left as you walked in, just before the arcade machines and pinball, thats consolepassion, he sells a lot of modded stuff.
there was a large stall at the back, they were faced with their backs to most of the exhibition, that was the atticbug, i dont think they did modded stuff.
there was another stall round the corner from them, they had stuff in fruit boxes mainly and had bookcases with consoles on inside their stall (the nintendo stuff was inside as were the consoles)- that was bluebeargaming, they dont have a site (i asked) but i got a card for them.
there was a small stall which only had consoles on it, that was rgb (retrogamebase) they are well known and i think they do modded consoles, they definitely do refurbs.

will that do?

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Many thanks

Alan
retro game base had lots of modded stuff, i suspect it was them
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:40 pm

Spyke wrote:I enjoyed it and got to play a lot of old arcade shooters I hadnt played before: Salamander 2 was great and a Raiden DX cab.

I did kinda miss the option of getting chips (the edible kind) and I'd hoped to see an Xbox ONE presence there but hey ho.
I added a few games to my DC collection (spent £66 at CP and was refused any discount) but at least I got Skies of Arcadia at really quite a fair price.

Loved the SF4 tournament battles too!

Ant
Lol. If i knew you were going i would have asked you to bring the mega drive :p

Mamemeister

Post by Mamemeister » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:50 pm

subzero wrote:

Many thanks

Alan
thought you didnt go to these big 'corporate events' Alan??
First one Steve and quite enjoyed it!!

Thanks for the info lads, I'll have a look.