Stuff you want to try even though you'd suck at it.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: Stuff you want to try even though you'd suck at it.

Post by DPrinny » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:33 pm

Wrestling.
Id be on a load of "Botchmania" vids and im no good at faking it

Andy L

Post by Andy L » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:57 am

I wouldn't mind trying martial arts and learning some self-defence techniques but would almost certainly make an idiot of myself attempting them!

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:35 am

Fencing. Always wanted to have a go but I have all the grace and subtlety of a rhino with parkinsons.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:28 pm

Smurph wrote:Fencing. Always wanted to have a go but I have all the grace and subtlety of a rhino with parkinsons.
I almost tried Olympic Fencing once, but it's got such a steep starting price for the kit that I was put off. Foils can be pretty cheap, though, so it's worth perhaps buying one and practicing yourself for a while if it's something you really want to do. Its lesser known cousin Historical Fencing is also worth looking into if it's a sword-based martial art you're interested in; I know there's a club in Belfast somewhere, so might be worth looking that up too.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:17 pm

QuantumCrayons wrote:
Smurph wrote:Fencing. Always wanted to have a go but I have all the grace and subtlety of a rhino with parkinsons.
I almost tried Olympic Fencing once, but it's got such a steep starting price for the kit that I was put off. Foils can be pretty cheap, though, so it's worth perhaps buying one and practicing yourself for a while if it's something you really want to do. Its lesser known cousin Historical Fencing is also worth looking into if it's a sword-based martial art you're interested in; I know there's a club in Belfast somewhere, so might be worth looking that up too.
Cheers for the advice. I had looked it up a while back, and found that there was one in my hometown - bizarre, considering there's only a couple of thousand people live there. I'll check out the Belfast ones actually, maybe this is the push I need :D
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:01 pm

QuantumCrayons wrote:This thread is quite appropriate as I've just began to do a thing I will (and currently do) suck at; drawing. Never ever been able to draw at all well, but I decided I wanted to give it a try, bought a set of sketching pencils and a sketch journal for £7 or so in total. Bring it on ;)
I was watching a really good series on YouTube last week that might be of interest, I'll post a link if I can find it when I get home.

I was a BAT (Butlins Active Teen) so I did some judo, archery and fencing then. Good times.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Astronauting

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote: I was watching a really good series on YouTube last week that might be of interest, I'll post a link if I can find it when I get home.
That'd be brilliant, thanks :)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:12 pm

koopa42 wrote:Astronauting
You've been watching too many Lynx adverts.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:21 pm

QuantumCrayons wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote: I was watching a really good series on YouTube last week that might be of interest, I'll post a link if I can find it when I get home.
That'd be brilliant, thanks :)
Here's an on topic link for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mov1fNzi ... Xw&index=1

Not the best example but its gaming related. I thought the build up from blank paper to final drawing really showed the stages very well. Check out the other vids by the user for some really good artwork. What surprised me was with something like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2EmdYwR ... w&index=12

It starts off ok, then seems to go do a dark mess for a while, but out of that emerges a great rendition of a fan favourite character. I really find it difficult to see ahead like that to a final outcome, I always want to draw final detail instead of working from a background up like that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:07 pm

nokgod wrote:
STranger81 wrote:
ShadowNeku wrote:I'd love to learn violin or archery. The violin is such a beautiful instrument and the archery thing is mainly motivated by watching too much Lord of the Rings and Hunger Games :D
I tried archery for the first time a couple of years ago and it was so much harder than I imagined. I was a little naive about the skill required but I soon found out its not easy. Mind you, it was at a country fair and I'd had a few jars of mild in the beer tent!
My son has a compound bow. I tell you what, they have some power. My first attempt at it went over the top of the target and hit our cherry tree. I had to get some pliers to get the damn thing out. I also kept catching the string on my forearm. It hurts. A lot.
You do generally wear a brace or sleeve to prevent that. Did a bit of archery a few years ago on 'adventure camp' type things - helping set up , teaching a bit etc. Really enjoyed it but never thought to take it more seriously (I was better than my ex wife at it) though Im sure with a bit of polish I would be able to teach it. Sadly without being able to drive and with minimal demand for archery instructors its a bit redundant.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:29 pm

Handball, after watching it at the Olympics i really wanted to try it. I am pretty good at throwing/catching (former Goal Keeper and Wicket Keeper) but I think it would probably kill me due to my tubby-ness and my absolutely none existant fitness levels
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:25 am

shiftytigger wrote: You do generally wear a brace or sleeve to prevent that. Did a bit of archery a few years ago on 'adventure camp' type things - helping set up , teaching a bit etc. Really enjoyed it but never thought to take it more seriously (I was better than my ex wife at it) though Im sure with a bit of polish I would be able to teach it. Sadly without being able to drive and with minimal demand for archery instructors its a bit redundant.
It gets even better when you have mass battles with 15lb bows; big arc of travel, but shows how they'd have been used effectively.