Stuff you want to try even though you'd suck at it.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GigaPepsiMan

Stuff you want to try even though you'd suck at it.

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:56 am

Last couple of years I've got into the mentality that if I can afford it then I will go out and try and learn something different.
First I took up Aikido (which I now do on and off and really need to get back into going regular)
Then I started training to become a pro wrestler (but it was expensive and the money ran dry)
and then finally I started going to Tae Kwon Do lessons (and ran out of money)

I'm not particularly good at any of those 3 things and it would probably take a lot of hours to show sings of any major improvement but still I had fun while it lasted. That said there are a tonne of things I'd like to try out even though I'd be bloody awful at them, one of the top ones on my list is skateboarding for real (buy a useable board not a rubbish £10 one), I wouldn't mind giving skateboarding a good go but my god would I be naturally bad at it because for a start I'm not the most confident person (which with skateboarding is a big issue).

I'd love to learn how to DJ too but a big issue with that is my music knowledge (or big lack of because I can never remember the names of anything).

Anyone else got something they'd want to try even though you'd look bad doing it?

Antiriad2097

Re: Stuff you want to try even though you'd suck at it.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:25 am

There's an excellent indoor skatepark in Aberdeen. I'd love to learn to get some proper air on a BMX. I do have a bike, but its an older style really designed for street freestyle rather than ramp work, being larger and heavier than the bikes used now.

Even so, a 42 year old n00b is going to look ridiculous among all the proficient kids (and a few pros) who go there.

Its not so much the lack of decent bike that puts me off as not really knowing where to start, not knowing anyone to teach me so I don't break my neck first time out.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:47 am

That's the problem I have with skate culture, a lot of people who do it are the type of people who tell you to quit and not waste your time. If I tried to start tomorrow I'd probably get people telling me to quit for leaving it too late.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:55 am

I honestly love to get into snowboarding. Never really had the spare cash to be able to do it though.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Fellatio.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Being a hover

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:There's an excellent indoor skatepark in Aberdeen. I'd love to learn to get some proper air on a BMX. I do have a bike, but its an older style really designed for street freestyle rather than ramp work, being larger and heavier than the bikes used now.

Even so, a 42 year old n00b is going to look ridiculous among all the proficient kids (and a few pros) who go there.

Its not so much the lack of decent bike that puts me off as not really knowing where to start, not knowing anyone to teach me so I don't break my neck first time out.
I used to skateboard when I was a nipper in the late 80s, but we didn't know of flips and such, we just used to bomb hills on big fish tail boards. And when I was around 20 myself and some friends started skating again when the whole thing became mega popular, and when we first turned up at a local skate spot with our new skateboards all the young kids hero worshipped us because they assumed we would be amazing, and when it became clear we were at a very basic level we became a bit of a novelty. Safe to say we found a nice deserted spot to skate after that!

We stopped though when a friend received a sickening head injury and was rushed to hospital. When you've seen someone's head have a hole in the top, covered in blood and puking their guts out before collapsing it kind of puts you off. For good. And that was the day after I spent close to 300 notes on a really nice new Flip set up!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:00 pm

aztecca wrote:Fellatio.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

/thread
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:19 pm

I'd love to learn violin or archery. The violin is such a beautiful instrument and the archery thing is mainly motivated by watching too much Lord of the Rings and Hunger Games :D
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:44 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:I'd love to learn violin or archery. The violin is such a beautiful instrument and the archery thing is mainly motivated by watching too much Lord of the Rings and Hunger Games :D
I tried archery for the first time a couple of years ago and it was so much harder than I imagined. I was a little naive about the skill required but I soon found out its not easy. Mind you, it was at a country fair and I'd had a few jars of mild in the beer tent!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:54 pm

STranger81 wrote:
ShadowNeku wrote:I'd love to learn violin or archery. The violin is such a beautiful instrument and the archery thing is mainly motivated by watching too much Lord of the Rings and Hunger Games :D
I tried archery for the first time a couple of years ago and it was so much harder than I imagined. I was a little naive about the skill required but I soon found out its not easy. Mind you, it was at a country fair and I'd had a few jars of mild in the beer tent!
My son has a compound bow. I tell you what, they have some power. My first attempt at it went over the top of the target and hit our cherry tree. I had to get some pliers to get the damn thing out. I also kept catching the string on my forearm. It hurts. A lot.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:54 am

I would really love to try skiing again. Problem is I haven't been on a ski slope since I was 10 years old, I think I would be a bit terrified now. Back when I was a wee nipper I had no fear, oh how times change!

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:33 pm

This thread is quite appropriate as I've just began to do a thing I will (and currently do) suck at; drawing. Never ever been able to draw at all well, but I decided I wanted to give it a try, bought a set of sketching pencils and a sketch journal for £7 or so in total. Bring it on ;)

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:51 pm

I'd like to try snowboarding. Well, I like the idea of snowboarding anyway. In the mean time, I have started Piano, will soon start mountain biking and swimming. My housemate has offered to teach me to swim, which won't do the cool-dude image I'm trying to (mis)represent to her any good, but should be fun anyway.

I'd also like to try climbing and absailing this year, too.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:24 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote: I'd also like to try climbing and absailing this year, too.
Last year I did an adventure day which was climbing in the morning and absailing in the afternoon. Really enjoyed it. It was it in the wilds of Derbyshire and a brilliant experience. We got it from group on so it was quite cheap too.