Cars, how do you own yours!!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sega2006

Re: Cars, how do you own yours!!

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:42 pm

My daily driver is a 16 year old Civic, apart from the battery currently being an @rsehat its not been too bad a motor, its clocked up a fair old amount of milage in my hands and gets driven hard most days but the little thing goes and goes and isn't too short of speed when you need it either.
I will add my vote to the shun the french cars box, my sister got a pug 206 and its a horrific little s**t, not only does it feel like its got less power than a wet fart it breaks at every chance it gets, its most recent insult to the existance of the motor car was the map sensor going haywire, something I've noticed happens alot with pugs and s**treons.

My advice would be buy outright but do alot of research into which car you go for first, find out its pros and cons be browseing realevant forums and people who run the car daily not the professional reviewers as you will see the true side of living with the car that way.

The general rules are:

Italian: Goes fast and then bang, best left to enthusiasts
German: Efficiant and generally built solid, servicing isnt always cheap though so check average costs before you buy.
French: No, Just No.
American/euro equivlants: Expect stuff like the Focus to treat you well, trust nothing but genuine US models with Chevy.
Korean: Mostly p1ss poor copies of Japanese cars in my eyes, best left as rental cars.
Japanese: Can be fast, Can be boring but usually goes and goes while sipping the fuel.
Brits: Average, not the best built unless you look at the brit-jap hybrids e.g the M body Civics, the type I have.
Chinese: Fairly new to the table, cheap and tend to mimic western models, dont expect massively high quality though.
Indian: Cheap, cheerful but don't expect much support with parts or women to be impressed by it.
Aussie: Rather mental and seem to be built well, we only see them as Vauxhalls when they get here but dont be fooled, they do work.
Eastern european/Russian: Cheap simple but by no means quick, the older ones are built like tanks.
Spanish:Now essentially re-cycled VW's and Audi's see German.

Hope that helps.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:52 pm

I like my retro cars (pre 1992 as a rule), so they do need more mechanical care, but are usually easier to fix and work on. Over the 30 or so cars i've owned (all either swapped or paid cash straight off) I've never had a major component failure. The other advantage of something sub £500 is that it's virtually depreciation proof (what you could spend on repairs in a year is the value a new car could lose in a month). Currently have a 1986 Corolla that cost me £250 with tax and MOT. Even if the engine blew up I could weight it in for about £150 and have ultimately lost very little. Plus they're a lot more interesting and require more attention to drive.

Oh, and the two least reliable cars I've owned were a VW and a Nissan. The two most reliable were a Nissan and a Citroen. So I take the "Jap cars never break, French ones fall apart" with a very strong pinch of salt. If a car hasn't been maintained or was abused by previous owners there's a higher chance it will break, regardless of manufacturer.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:01 pm

For probably the last 10 years I've been really keen on cars but in the last few months I have swung in the complete opposite direction and want nothing whatsoever to do with them lol. It has to be said, most "car guys" are friggin' bellends.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Negative Creep wrote:I like my retro cars (pre 1992 as a rule), so they do need more mechanical care, but are usually easier to fix and work on. Over the 30 or so cars i've owned (all either swapped or paid cash straight off) I've never had a major component failure. The other advantage of something sub £500 is that it's virtually depreciation proof (what you could spend on repairs in a year is the value a new car could lose in a month). Currently have a 1986 Corolla that cost me £250 with tax and MOT. Even if the engine blew up I could weight it in for about £150 and have ultimately lost very little. Plus they're a lot more interesting and require more attention to drive.

Oh, and the two least reliable cars I've owned were a VW and a Nissan. The two most reliable were a Nissan and a Citroen. So I take the "Jap cars never break, French ones fall apart" with a very strong pinch of salt. If a car hasn't been maintained or was abused by previous owners there's a higher chance it will break, regardless of manufacturer.
'86 corolla is cool.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:35 pm

and will go missing if I'm near it lol, I've watched way too much Initial D.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Sega2006 wrote:and will go missing if I'm near it lol, I've watched way too much Initial D.

Don't get your hotwiring kit out just yet, this is the 1.3 FWD auto ;)

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:09 pm

Awwww poop :lol:

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 am

Was gonna say, a 1986 Corolla and an 86 (AE86) Corolla are two different beasts entirely.

I like the pre '92 rule as well, very similar to me owning mostly late 80's/early 90's hot hatches, sports, coupes etc...

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:06 am

You certainly wouldn't get an AE86 for £250 - you'd need to add a zero to that then treble it. My main car before that was a Bluebird that cost £300 and needed a wheel cylinder and front pads in nearly 18 months. So you can get something a bit different for very little if you look around

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:24 am

Italian: Goes fast and then bang, best left to enthusiasts
German: Efficiant and generally built solid, servicing isnt always cheap though so check average costs before you buy.
French: No, Just No.
American/euro equivlants: Expect stuff like the Focus to treat you well, trust nothing but genuine US models with Chevy.
Korean: Mostly p1ss poor copies of Japanese cars in my eyes, best left as rental cars.
Japanese: Can be fast, Can be boring but usually goes and goes while sipping the fuel.
Brits: Average, not the best built unless you look at the brit-jap hybrids e.g the M body Civics, the type I have.
Chinese: Fairly new to the table, cheap and tend to mimic western models, dont expect massively high quality though.
Indian: Cheap, cheerful but don't expect much support with parts or women to be impressed by it.
Aussie: Rather mental and seem to be built well, we only see them as Vauxhalls when they get here but dont be fooled, they do work.
Eastern european/Russian: Cheap simple but by no means quick, the older ones are built like tanks.
Spanish:Now essentially re-cycled VW's and Audi's see German.
Yep, thats why I am driving a Swift and the wife has a jap import Micra
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:34 am

I generally spend no more than 2-3k, and I want 3-5 years out of it at that rate.

Only went above that once, 4.5k on a Pug 406 estate - booooring car, and kept breaking, was only a handful of years old at that!

Currently in my 5th year of owning a 'R' reg Toyota MR2 and apart from tyres, brake pads and clutch replacements, she's solid, and fun too.

NEVER had car finance, don't plan to either. I always sell the car I have and borrow a little bit of cash to get me to the next car. My 1990 Pug 205 GTi that I got for £2500 sold for £700 with it's sills filled with water, cracked bumper, faulty brakes and head gasket gone, someone bought it as a project!

I've recently started leaving the car on the drive and getting the bus/train for work, so I expect the MR2 will last me a year or two yet with occasional 'fun' use!

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Megamixer wrote: Currently contemplating 'upgrading' to a Mk1 Focus, possibly the ST170 if the insurance isn't too diabolical but I'm not holding my breath.
Might be selling mine soon, its been a fun car for the last 4 years but just fancy moving on now, interested in getting hold of a convertible, at the moment i'm looking at MK2 Focus CC, Peugeot 307CC or Astra Twintop, each has their own pros and cons but i think its out of the first 2 right now
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:36 pm

Id say go for the Ford out of those three, its fairly reliable and parts are easy to come by fairly cheap, my Dad drives an 05 C-Max which is mechanically the same as a MK2 and its never put a foot wrong, only complaints are a knackered driver door rubber and it uses aero blades which are bit on the pricey side compared to regular wiper blades.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:36 pm

ReplayRetro wrote:
Megamixer wrote: Currently contemplating 'upgrading' to a Mk1 Focus, possibly the ST170 if the insurance isn't too diabolical but I'm not holding my breath.
Might be selling mine soon, its been a fun car for the last 4 years but just fancy moving on now
Are there any cons to owning one or things I really need to be looking out for? I'm not set on it yet but I'm just starting research and it's hard to really put much stock in 'professional' reviews of cars when the reviewers aren't running them on a day-to-day basis.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.