Cars, how do you own yours!!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

IronMaidenRule

Cars, how do you own yours!!

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:08 pm

Currently having another bad experience with my motor and wondering what alternatives people might use to owning one outright and being responsible for all the repair bills etc.... trying not to be suckered by these pay monthly schemes but they seem a lot less hassle at the moment. :(

Does anybody else use them?

SJ_Sathanas

Re: Cars, how do you own yours!!

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:36 pm

Buy a cheap shitter and bin it as soon as it starts to demand money. That's what I do, though I'm getting bored of smoking around in horribile cars lol.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:41 pm

We buy new, then trade it in once it starts needing anything more than a minor repair at MOT time.

Probably not the cheapest option, but manufacturer's warranty sorts out any minor niggles initially and then you'd not expect anything big for a while.

So far over the last 10 years or so we've had a Fiat Brava, Seat Ibiza and now a Vauxhall Corsa. Of the 3, the Corsa is my least favourite. Brava was a great family car and the Seat ran for years with us doing our best not to maintain it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

James A

Post by James A » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:49 pm

Got burned badly only my current one. It was £6500 but with some savings and part exing my old one needed to pay £5000. Stupidly being in a rush to get it sorted it opted to get a 5 year finance agreement through the dealership i was buying it through. Came out at £144 a month which with my job at the time didn't seem to bad. It was only a couple of days later when i sat down and figured out i was paying back over £8500 that i realised what an idiot id been in not doing my maths then, should have gone to the bank instead.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:39 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, well my car is off to the garage tomorrow and that shall decided its fate, if it is a simple and cheap fix I shall try and see it through, if there is a hefty outlay involved I shall chop-it in for something else. Used to have an 01 Corsa and pretty much ran that into the ground, now ended up with a Chevrolet Kalos that I loved when I rented one a few years ago, still a good drive but being a weird Daewoo/Chevrolet hybrid it seems to have issues that is difficult for your my garage to solve and I really don't want to take it to a Chevrolet garage and get stung.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Have 2 cars. I've got a 15 year old Micra for blatting about back and forward to work, all carburettors and bodge tape great for commuting and as a back up. One second hand, but not more than 4 year old Volvo estate as a family workhorse.
Plus we have a bus stop right in front of the house, just in case.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:14 pm

The only cars I buy are £100 knackers, if they last a couple of years they've done well, you've heard the old saying a mechanic's car is never looked after... it couldn't be more true, I work on the f**king things day in day out... I see no value in them whatsoever so the last thing I want to be doing is spending large sums of money on them... did I mention I also hate them?? :lol:

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:16 am

SexyWayne wrote:The only cars I buy are £100 knackers, if they last a couple of years they've done well, you've heard the old saying a mechanic's car is never looked after... it couldn't be more true, I work on the f**king things day in day out... I see no value in them whatsoever so the last thing I want to be doing is spending large sums of money on them... did I mention I also hate them?? :lol:
ha me too, though I'm not really a mechanic but glorified fast-fit. Feels good having no financial commitment tied-up in a car. I went a bit loopy and sunk loads of money into an old Nissan Silvia project a couple of years ago and it was a friggin' disaster. Screw that censored.
My last but one was a £150 Bluebird. I chucked-in a cheap headunit and cd changer and it was great. Use to let water in, same as my current car, which I really hate.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:13 am

After years of buying cheap cars at auctions and always knowing the inevitable breakdown would be looming, getting a new warrantied car actually made me feel great about a car for a change. Since then I've traveled up and down the country with the family without ever considering ending up on the side of the road a probability.
HADDOCKEN!

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:57 am

These new car PCP agreements seem to be the best at the moment an example is what my mate just got (his budget is higher than mine but still a valid excercise)

He just bought a 2012 Golf TDi 1.6 Match with quite a lot of great features on it, he's going to pay £283 a month for the next 42 months, an included service agreement will cover all but the last 6 months and the car is still MOT exempt untill 2015, the warranty will also cover the car right into 2015 and the tyres are covered for up to 5 replacements + 10 repairs to the alloys
So basically until 2015 he shouldn't have to worry about anything then he'll have one MOT but still a bit of service agreement left and hopefully something left on his tyre/wheel cover
Once the payments are over (or earlier if he chooses) he can give the car back and release any equity it may have left above VWs prediction (which should be a fair amount because their prediction was nice and low) towards his next car or he can choose to pay £6800ish to own the car outright

Essentially these deals seem to be a good crossover between hire purchase and leasing giving the advantages of both
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:42 am

11 years ago I bought an Alfa Romeo. What a sorry useless, pointless, unreliable, crappy, hateful, experience that was. The cars are sh*t. The dealers are inept.

So, my advice is this: Buy any car you want, any way you choose, just as long as it's either German (Not Mercedes) or Japanese.

Sure, the British, Italians and Americans can make a pretty car but under no circumstances should they be allowed near the spanners to actually build a car. This is folly.

The Koreans, French (Particularly the French) and Spanish should be held back from the design table and the spanners. By force if necessary. The worse car i ever, ever drove, taking into account my first company car was Vauxhall Vectra was a Peugeot 106. Utterly horrible, the nastiest, cheapest car i ever drove. Tesco's value car. Utter Cack.

To put the 'I hate non Japanese and German cars into perspective.

I've owned:

1 x BMW 323, 2 x Golf mk3 (a GTI and VR6), 1 x Mazda mx5 (these are awesome), 2 x Subaru Impreza turbo, 3 x Porsche (1 x Boxster S and 2 x 911s), 1 x Toyota Aygo.

AND 1 F**KING Alfa Romeo 156

Faults (not tyres and servicing) in ALL other cars. Note: I was a high mileage driver, 30-40,000 miles a year.

1. An Alternator went on a Subaru Impreza. (After about 60,000 miles) which cost about £250
2. ECU went on the Mazda MX5. Cost about £200 ( i fitted the new one myself)
3. Wheel weight fell off a Porsche Boxster S, made it undriveable, Cost £0.20
4. A Coil Pack went on the boxster too after about 50,000 i think it was £300
5. Porsche 911 had a connection fault where the main power lead joins the car, made the alarm go off and the car would just die. Free - I fixed it myself by cleaning the connectors.

Alfa Romeo faults: 18 Months old < 30,000 miles.

1. Head Gasket Skimmed. (£1200)
2. Injector sensor failure. £400?
3. Gearbox failure. £1500
4. Repeated cooling system failures. £2000+ (went to the dealer 3 times)
5. Misc electrical faults. Headlamps died like fruit flies. I used to buy 3 or 4 packs to keep in the glover compartment.

I hate Alfa. I hate Fiat.

I remember coming back from the Alfa dealer almost in tears, and it was on that day I swore...

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:05 am

If you want to know what cars are low maintenance, look here:

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/top-100

Unsurprisingly, the most reliable cars tend to be the ones that macho petrolheads wouldn't be seen dead with.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:36 pm

I save my money and buy them outright. Don't like the thought of buying on finance or being in any kind of debt. I don't use my car very often though so I don't need anything big and expensive.

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:16 pm

I tend to spend up to £1K on a car!

Depends on where it is coming form really and the tax/mot on it.

Last one was the max value £1000 as it was from a mates parents and had always had a full ford service. (They asked the ford place for the trade in value and gave it to me for the same price, I might have gone to £1200 TBH).

This is a good method as long as you stay away from the chav kid cars!

I like a nice estate! Last one was a polo, very nice, could have gone on longer (had it 2 years ish) but my current one came up and I deided I finally wanted a car with a cd player! (ok other reasons as well).

Curent car is a focus estate, 2004 53 reg. No isseus so far except the idiot that decieded to kill my mirrror by deciding that the wrong side of the road was the palce to be because of 1 car on their side. Still that cost under £20 on ebay.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:37 pm

Personally I'd never buy a new car but most of that sentiment is down to me simply liking older cars (90's and older) more than new models.

I currently have a Fiesta Mk5 (1.3 Endura engine) and it's a solid if sluggish car. Nice condition too and I look after it but I've spent a bit on it already in just over a year of owning it. The M.O.T + service for example cost over £600 last year thanks to the need for welding on one of the sills plus a new coil spring so whenever the next batch of things go wrong, it'll be approaching that stage where it makes no sense to keep shelling out.

Currently contemplating 'upgrading' to a Mk1 Focus, possibly the ST170 if the insurance isn't too diabolical but I'm not holding my breath.

I do like cars though and despite all the annoyances and expenditure that goes with being on the road, I enjoy driving and owning a car.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.