grabbing sound

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mohicankid

grabbing sound

Post by mohicankid » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Hi guys, a friend was mentioned on the radio earlier today, and she'd like to record and keep it if possible, its on iplayer for the next 5 days and i'm wondering if its possible to grab and record sound as it plays on your pc as you would a screen grab!
help :)
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

martin_lovick

Re: grabbing sound

Post by martin_lovick » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:17 pm

depending on your OS, you should be able to find get_iplayer for your platform. You may need to install ffmpeg with it too. get_iplayer allows you to download iplayer tv as mp4 and radio as mp3.

A great alternative to sky+ in my opinion! :)
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:18 pm

i have used PCwin speaker record,it works really well but the wav. file it creates wouldn't play back so i have to run it through a free audio file converter afterwards,anything then played through your speakers will be recorded when activated.

including any noises your system makes,what i mean is i was recording something and turned my laptop speakers up which makes a beep sound and that was on the recording so had to do it again.i have used it many times for streamed sound and making a few mp3 ringtones off emulators for my phone.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:30 pm

I'll also suggest get_iplayer. The Beeb don't protect their streams so there's no DRM issue, unlike the iPlayer downloads they do deem it worthy to include but riddle with DRM.

Get_iplayer just takes the stream and saves it as a single file for playback later. I've used it a few times to grab shows about gaming (e.g. the recent one with SirClive and Olly Murs, as well as one Daz did a but in, oh, and the music one with Ben Daglish).

Its a bit fiddly to set up and use but works well once you've sussed it. Given the fiddlesome nature, I don't mind grabbing the stream and sending you it if you want to PM me the address for the show, I can do it tomorrow night if you have bother (or can't be bothered setting it up).

That's the way to get best quality.

Failing that, do as above - play the show, plug a recording device into the PC headphone socket and record that way. Slow, lower quality and you can't make any other noises on the PC, so not my favoured way.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Failing that, do as above - play the show, plug a recording device into the PC headphone socket and record that way. Slow, lower quality and you can't make any other noises on the PC, so not my favoured way.
it's not a plug in device,it's software it just records any sound that is being sent to the speaker internally and saves the file on the hard drive.

EDIT:the quality is very good.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:44 pm

Same difference, you're using the PC as the recording device, its still doing a re-encode with the resultant quality drop even though its internal.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:50 pm

fair enough,i just wanted to be clear it was software not something you have to go and purchase,it is also freeware like the get_iplayer mentioned above.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:51 am

I use Audacity (free sound editor), then just play whatever it is that's making the sound I want, and press record. Then you can export as an MP3 (with a plug-in), or wave, etc.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Get_iplayer means you don't have to wait for it to play, it'll download the whole show and save the file in a couple of minutes.