Non-game stuff you bought of late.....

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

joefish

Re: Non-game stuff you bought of late.....

Post by joefish » Wed May 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Just bought myself one of those nooks that was going cheap, and I love it. Months of battery life, and it's not locked down like the Kindle. At the moment I have a mix of Frank Hampson and J. Scott Campbell artwork as the screen saver. As soon a they were announced at £29 I tried Argos, Currys, etc. and all had gone for miles around. Then I was in Currys and they checked their pre-orders against stock and found one (out of about half a dozen) that had lapsed, so I had it.

I bought a few books, and downloaded some classics from Project Gutenberg (all the Tarzan, Allan Quatermain and John Carter novels along with Jules Verne, Alexandre Dumas, etc.)

I want to have ago at making my own Fighting-Fantasy type adventures now, using hyperlinks and tabular graphics.
Shinobi wrote:I liked 'Barkers' Abarat books though I had to give up on the Books of Blood way to evil, as was Hell Raiser in some ways much eviler than the film.. I find Barkers kids book not quite so mental, so think I will enjoy the Thief of Always.. Remember Barker saying Horror shouldn't have a happy ending!!
Reading Thief of Always at the moment. Can't quite get my head around what he's trying to say where some characters are protected from evil by their faith, whilst also making out that God doesn't exist.

I suggest you try Weaveworld - it's a very good worlds-within-worlds story. And Imajica is even longer and grander in scope, though with a strangely warped feminist slant towards the end rather than anything gruesome. Be sure to get a complete volume - I think the American original paperback came as a Part I and Part II.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed May 22, 2013 2:49 pm

Splink!

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed May 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Mother-in-law just gave me a big slab o' Bournville, a skull & crossbones "Jolly Jester" t-shirt and a bottle of JD.

:shock: but :D

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Thu May 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Daft Punk Random Access Memories on Vinyl and Django Unchained on Blu Ray

Both of them excellent! And both with portable versions included, MP3 in the Daft punk album and UltraViolet for the ipad in Django Unchained. SCORE!
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri May 24, 2013 11:07 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hoody-Babes-i ... 48512f7b07

Ok nearly got it, to big for my parrot

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri May 24, 2013 12:12 pm

A 7" of reggae covers of Nirvana's "Sliver" and "Dive" by Little roy & Prince Fatty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HNP94fsfLo

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri May 24, 2013 5:13 pm

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Mon May 27, 2013 2:25 pm

Passed all my essays, one with a Distinction grade (very proud of that one!), so I treated myself to an ereader. I was looking at a Nook as the basic one was on offer for £30, but they seem to be sold out everywhere. I popped into WH Smiths and had a look at the Kobo Mini, then walked out with one (after paying for it of course!).

It's impressed me to be honest. I wasn't fussed by ereaders before, as I don't tend to keep books these days. I'll buy one for cheap then give it to a charity shop. However, I found out you can 'borrow' ebooks from the library, so I decided to take the chance. The selection isn't great to be honest, but that will probably encourage me to branch out a bit more in terms of taste.

dste

Post by dste » Mon May 27, 2013 3:50 pm

A is for Action on tape. :D

I owned the record when I was growing up and somewhere down the line it disappeared. Spotted a copy of the tape on E-bay and won it for 99p, was well pleased. :D

Tracklisting is as follows:

Side one

Superman
Magnum
Knight Rider
The Professionals
Starsky & Hutch
Shoe String
Hawaii 5-0
Hill Street Blues
Dempsey & Makepeace

Side two

Indiana Jones Theme
T.J. Hooker
The James Bond Theme
Dukes Of Hazzard ("Good Ol' Boys")
The New Avengers Theme
Rockford Files
Street Hawk
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
Bergerac
"A" Team
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue May 28, 2013 5:33 am

Yeeeahhhh! I've still got the tape of that little beauty round here somewhere!

A classic.

dste

Post by dste » Tue May 28, 2013 6:15 pm

Certainly is a classic.

I love how it's got all these big American themes (bar Bond) and then Bergerac right at the end there. :lol:
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed May 29, 2013 3:33 am

"OK folks, we're gonna take it down a notch....." :lol:

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:18 am

Bought myself a new bike the other week. First time I've been on a bike in a couple of years and also my first new bike in about 15 years! Been cycling up in the Lakes and on the Merseyside coast and really enjoying it so far :D

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:48 am

Just bought a Yamaha SHS10S keytar. Because I can and because Im getting a bit of an addiction to vintage electronic instruments.

Works fine off mains and had quite a lot of fun so far. I have no musical skills whatsoever though.

Previously owned several types of stylophone including a desktop home one and a couple of newer reissues. Also had a lovely Omnichord that I regret selling and have missed since that day.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:01 pm

A Lego rip-off model of Bumblebee - said £2.99 on the shelf, went through the till for a quid! Well worth it, decent quality and instructions that are actually possible to follow.
Might be the start of a new collection, would be nice to have my own shelf of interesting items!

And a mini vacuum cleaner from Maplin - always wanted one and my keyboard is now so clean!