Another Government Statistic

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

clarance

Re: Another Government Statistic

Post by clarance » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:19 am

That's grim news for you - Job Centre will be a culture shock that's for sure. Start watching Jeremy Kyle now to prepare yourself :(
Death may be your Santa Claus.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:21 am

Real sorry to hear this Boggy. But honestly dont get down, i've been made redundant 3 times (!), the first time i must admit was a huge shock to the system, wasnt expecting it, living the life of riley and it was a huge kick in the teeth.

Hopefully you've got a 'bit' of a payout, start filling in your forms to get your rent etc paid for and start looking obviously. You could come out of this quilte well if you find a job soon (and still have a chunk of redundancy money leftover). You've worked for years, paid into the system and this is what its there for, to help you when times are tough (Unlike some people who dont pay anything into the system but still claim !).

But keep your head up, its easy to get in a rut and super down about it all. To be fair i dont know exactly what your job was but send your CV off to competitors as they might want to snap you up (and also miss agency fees etc). Everytime i got made redundant i actually got a better job, if i wasnt made redundant i probably would have stayed in my original 'not really going anywhere' job so if anything it kinda did me a favour.

Please let us know once you get yourself sorted.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:07 am

From personal experience, do some voluntary work to keep your hand in. It does lead to more positive feedback when applying for vacancies.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:23 am

Thanks everyone for your advice and kind comments..

Much appreciated..

Am popping down the job centre today.. Will keep you posted..

Cheers

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:06 am

Re: applying for housing benefit.

Not sure if this holds true, so please do not take this as gospel - if you have loads of savings then the council can make you use that first in order to avoid paying you housing benefit. Therefore it may be beneficial to invest in a long term untouchable savings account, or just spend the money before making the claim. When I was a kid my father was made redundant and this is how I got my first PC! - is this still the case?

Apart from that, maybe the Replay guys can make you their first employee? :D
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:58 pm

pforson wrote:spend the money before making the claim.
Blowing cash just to qualify for benefits is considered 'deprivation of capital' and can lead to loss of benefits.

A spend on essentials is allowable (e.g. your fridge packs in so you buy a new one).

I'm not sure what the allowable capital is now, iirc it used to be cash/savings over 3 grand, but they'd only impact certain means tested benefits.

I'm well out of date with this stuff.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Sorry to hear this Boggy, hope things pick up soon mate!

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:35 pm

Rubbish news, sorry to hear that :(

Hope it leads to something bigger and better for you in the long run. Every cloud, right?

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:14 am

Did the company go down the plughole? If they're still operating (and you're a PAYE employee) they are required to give you at least 90 days notice before terminating your employment.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.