Another Government Statistic

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

boggyb68

Another Government Statistic

Post by boggyb68 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Evening all..

I'm about to be made redundant.. Looks like I will be out if a job on Friday..

What I would appreciate is any advice from you guys, just things like what exactly I will be entitled to benefit wise, can I get my rent covered, what sort of procedures you need to go through at the job centre, etc..

I have been lucky to have been in constant employment since I left school in black and white days.. But my luck has finally run out.. Just the way things are these days I suppose...

Any advice greatly appreciated..

Cheers

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

JetSetWilly

Re: Another Government Statistic

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Damn, mate. Sorry to hear that. I don;t have no advice to give, really, as I'm the same as you. I've been in employment since I left school, so have not claimed one bit of benefit. Hope you find another job soon. Fingers crossed for you.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:42 pm

Gutted for you Si, hope you find something soon. Can't help you otherwise though as I'm fortunate to have been in gainful employ since I left school. I'm sure Ant will have some advice.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Sorry to hear that you are being made redundant, hope that you find something soon.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

rupert

Post by rupert » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm not sure of your line of work but I found job centres unhelpful and depressing, this was over 6 years ago though, maybe things have changed.

My advice, as its what I did and it worked, is to go to some recruitment agencies. I did not really have any prior admin or office experience but I went along smartly dressed with a shirt and tie etc so they took me seriously. They gave me a little kind of interview/ chat and also a simple data entry test which really just tests your speed and accuracy. From that I was called by them within a week offering me a full time temp position, this evolved into a perm job.

Good luck with it, hope you find something soon.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:57 pm

Hey.

First point of call should be the Job Centre.

With all the contributions you have made with tax and National Insurance - you should be entitled to Jobseekers Allowance to start with

If you ask about money for accommodation - you will probably be referred to Housing Benefit team at local council. This is NOT dealt with by the Job Centre.

Lots of forms to fill in, and your local council will need to see documentation to support your claim for housing benefit - proof of rent most likely. They may also ask to view the property, so they can see if the amount of rent you are asking for fits in with the accommodation you are presently residing/living in.

First stop should be the Job Centre

Hope this helps

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Best bet is to call and make a claim for benefit at the Jobcentre. Its all done via telephone or online now. Payment of JSA etc may be dependent on any redundancy payment/periods of paid notice etc.

Possibly contact council re housing benefit, though I suspect this has changed in the last couple of years. If you've a mortgage, then contact your mortgage/insurance company regarding mortgage protection (even if its just delaying payment for a bit).

Best advice is not to leave any of this until you're desperate. Make the calls/claims as soon as you finish work. Yes, you might be told you're not eligible yet and possibly have to fill out some paperwork again at a later date, but better that than having to wait an age later on to sort things out.

Most importantly, don't feel bad about it. You've paid National Insurance and taxes for years precisely to cover such eventualities. You may find some of the JC clientele to be unpleasant, but the vast majority of people using the services are just like yourself, its only that its the 'bad' one's you'll see hanging about. Most people are in and out as quick as possible with minimum fuss, so you don't tend to notice those, just the horrors. Don't consider yourself to be among those, it couldn't be further from the truth.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:09 pm

I don't know a great deal about this kind of situation to be able to offer much advice. I'm very sorry to read this though, boggy, and was quite shocked when I read your post. Crap happens to good people and it's rotten.

Certainly get into the job centre to find out when you can start to make a claim. Claim everything you are entitled to. Citizens advice will help you identify what you can claim for although they can be a bit flaky and I think CAB work better if you're very specific. Talk to your bank if you're worried about finances too. Geez, gutted for you. I wish you all the best in getting things where they need to be.

supermario

Post by supermario » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Yes, gutted for you as well mate - Ant's advice sounds spot on. Good luck finding a new job and hope it's soon.

rupert

Post by rupert » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:32 pm

Just to clarify my point on the job centre was the finding work bit I found to be unhelpful with them, the JSA was however was good to have and did help.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Sorry to here this mate & good luck on job hunting.

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Sorry to hear that Boggy. Hope you find something soon.

Ant has given good advice there, the only thing I can add (from Krissy) is to expect it to take at least 3 weeks for JSA etc to be sorted so the sooner you get the ball rolling, the better.

Good luck.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Oh that's just not fair. So many tossers in work when the nice guys get the boot :(

Like others on here, I've been in employment almost all my working life (had 6 months off between jobs - and job centers were horrible but that was 9 years ago...)

Look here:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/w ... ndancy.htm

Fingers crossed you find a job quickly and that in the mean time you get the help and benefits you have earned mate.

Marko :(
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:27 pm

Its not what your asking, but depending on your trade and skills, you could think about going Self Employed.

Not everyone can do it, and it is hard work but it has worked well for me when I was made redundant. The downturn has not effected me and work has exploded at the start of this year. I am even considering taking someone on.
I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Sorry to hear that boggy, I'm very much in the same position as you. If you find yourself in aldershot then we can have a beer on the dole office.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image