Snipe bidding on ebay

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mayhem

Re: Snipe bidding on ebay

Post by Mayhem » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:19 pm

FatTrucker wrote:Problem with putting in your max bid straight away is that there are so many dishonest sellers shilling their own auctions. I see it all the time where a second account will consistently bid up an auction then when it exceeds the highest genuine bid, the shill accounts bid is withdrawn ensuring the auction will go to the highest bidders maximum bid amount.
This is why I only snipe now, to prevent shilling.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:42 pm

I snipe because when I do it gives no one else a chance to out-bid me and thus means I almost always win what I want :lol:

Sure there's times where the highest bid is outside of what I was willing to pay but that's the way it goes :) it stops people constantly pushing my price up

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Don't do eBay much nowadays, but when I do I always snipe. Didn't used to, and got annoyed rather too often having put effort in to winning only to lose out in the final moments. Wised-up fast. Now, when I snipe and lose I don't get annoyed as I have put no effort into winning; I simply took my chance. And when I do win (most occasions :) ) - wahey! :D

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Never really done much sniping, cos if u lose, there is always another one to win.....
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:09 pm

I always snipe. Its handy, dont have to wait in to bid on an auction late. I havent a clue why people bother bidding a day into a 7 day auction or that. I sold about 100 items in November and was amazed how many people bid early on (and lost nearly all the time).

Its like a game of cards, why would you want to show your hand early on ? I put in the maximum price which i would pay on a snipe bid and then leave it. Never bid the old way.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:30 pm

psj3809 wrote:I always snipe. Its handy, dont have to wait in to bid on an auction late. I havent a clue why people bother bidding a day into a 7 day auction or that. I sold about 100 items in November and was amazed how many people bid early on (and lost nearly all the time).

Its like a game of cards, why would you want to show your hand early on ? I put in the maximum price which i would pay on a snipe bid and then leave it. Never bid the old way.
But unlike cards if you win you pay out

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:39 pm

I've absolutely no problem with sniping on Ebay... it just comes with the terrority I'm afraid. I just accept it and ALWAYS expect it when I'm bidding on something.

HOWEVER, there is something else which has been really bugging me about ebay a lot recently - so called EBay Arbitrage!!! This is the true scourge of Ebay IMHO!!!!! Put simply, this practice refers to people who are blatantly only bidding and buying to resell back on ebay and have absolute no interest in the item itself. (note: I'll follow the ignorance convention of referring to this practice as 'arbitrage' despite the fact - as any Economist will tell you - it's anything but in the true sense :roll:).

Anyway, individuals involved in this practice are easy to identify* as they hoover up the same titles week after week (how many copies of the same game does someone need!!) and are normally happy to pay a premium to do so - safe in the knowledge they will likely recoup their investment and get their money back some time in the future when they resell on ebay. The result? Artificial distortion of the market and a world where it seems they essentially set the Ebay price for everyone else!!!! Sometimes (most of the time) I feel it's lose-lose when bidding against these individuals. I mean, even if you bid against them and win then in a way you are still losing as you are paying an inflated price dictated by them!!!!

.... anyway rant over. :mrgreen:

*note: when I say these individuals are easy to identify I should have said their ebay buyer accounts are easy to identify. Said individual nearly always operate 2 ebay accounts (1 to buy and 1 to sell) as this makes it more difficult to spot what they've been up to.

Mr. Bluebird

Post by Mr. Bluebird » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:46 pm

I actually have a semi-side-business-not-really on ebay, I buy games I want and computer components and sell what I don't. Part of what I wanted to get into was buying 3DS'es and refurbishing them with parts from working ones or other ones broken in different ways, and selling the fixed product (and keeping a couple of them eventually for me and my wife). Bid sniping, however, has been a little ridiculous in the whole broken 3DS market. o_o; Doesn't help that I don't have a lot of money with which to buy the consoles but still... and mostly it's by resellers just looking to ratchet up the price and resell it. Sucks.
Sincerely, as sincere as Oddjob in a game of Goldeneye, MISTER BLUEBIRD, SIR.
-----
Proud owner of: A Game Boy Color, DS, Wii, PS2, Xperia PLAY and iPhone 4
(Please pardon any weirdness I may exhibit.)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:06 pm

I've been selling tons of star wars stuff on ebay the last few days. Been great seeing some of the bids come in, seeing something go from 99p to 6 quid with 2 minutes to go, then in the final 2 seconds there must be snipe bids as some items 'rocket' up to 12 quid etc. Been great !

Plus a few people have been battling against each other on some items, as a seller thats what you want, people who dont want to lose ! Sure a fair few items might have gone for way too much.

But again dont have a problem sniping buying or selling. Not an issue at all. Still dont know why people put in a 99p bid with 6 days left though, no point.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:49 pm

I don't use sniping tools (don't like them, takes the fun out of winning an auction for me), but I do manually bid at the last second. Usually means I get a better deal on the auction than if I bidded earlier on.