Snipe bidding on ebay

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dirk Gently

Snipe bidding on ebay

Post by Dirk Gently » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:34 pm

I know a lot of folk only snipe bid at the last second - but I think it's a bit twatty. A very rare instance of me winning an item occured yesterday, when a 'sniper' lost out to my marginally higher bid I'd placed over 2 hours previously. Up his hole.

Myself and another chap were bidding on the item, and gobshite got his bid in at the last 2 seconds of time.

I reckon it is acceptable if you've placed a couple of bids earlier on the item, and you're in the zone so to speak. But it's a bit 'geebagy' to bust in at the last second and win somethiong for 20p more than some hoor has put on after bidding for days.

Agh! Is it just me?

Cunits.

tachi

Re: Snipe bidding on ebay

Post by tachi » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:38 pm

It does 'grind my gears' as the thread goes when I am outbid 1 second from the end of the auction by 5p but unfortunately most people I know have Apps on their PC or Phones to allow them to do this with no need to even be there themselves.
So yes I find it annoying but unfortunately that is the way it works now. If it annoys you that much then move with the times, find a good app and beat them at their own game.
I am not, yet, at that point and just make sure I bid to my maximum to begin with and then even 5p is not too painful as it is more than I intended to pay anyways.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:39 pm

If you want something that much then just make sure you put in what you're prepared to pay straight away. If you still lose out then at least you've got the peace of mind knowing you went as high as you intended to in the first place.

Eat your nans pants

Dirk Gently

Post by Dirk Gently » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:54 pm

True crusto - I usually pay and bid for how high I'm prepared to go. In fairness - they don't annoy me really - I get more cross with them if I'm watching an auction out of interst and see a sniper snaffling an item from a person who's been bidding siunce the getgo. Thats ebay though. If it were a real auction they'd be dragged outside and have manure tossed at them.
hoho
etc.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:56 pm

crusto wrote:If you want something that much then just make sure you put in what you're prepared to pay straight away. If you still lose out then at least you've got the peace of mind knowing you went as high as you intended to in the first place.
This. Its what I do then just forget about it, win or lose? So what

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:33 pm

crusto wrote:If you want something that much then just make sure you put in what you're prepared to pay straight away. If you still lose out then at least you've got the peace of mind knowing you went as high as you intended to in the first place.

All sniping does is make you go mental and pay more than you want

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:42 pm

I almost always snipe - using gixen. Sometimes I lose too. Sniping doesn't mean you'll win.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:53 pm

I always wait to the last few seconds for my final bidding, I may have a put a few holding starting bids on as well, ebay are now charging people to pull listings/end them early, so good to get a bid on to deter them. I would also check out if any other bidders have put bids on in the past hour in by looking at their bidding activity (click). If they are rampantly bidding it also means I am likely to be competing in the last few seconds. Wait to the last second, you are more likely to win it cheaper than starting a bidding war in the last 5 mins of the auction. I won a sign this morning, by putting on my highest bid in the last few seconds, 3 others had also waited, and their bids came in at the same time as mine, had any of us started earlier, the competativeness would most likely have forced a bid war.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Anyone not sniping is just pushing up the price needlessly. Everyone should snipe, makes no difference if you do it manually or automate it. Highest bidder wins, no matter whether its a sniper or not, but bidding early just gives others who don't quite 'get' how it works the chance to push up the price.

Think about it. You see an item you want and bid the £30 you're willing to pay as a max.

It starts out at £5 as the lowest bid, so you're sitting on a fiver.

Johnny Dumbass then comes along and decides he'd like it, so bids £6. Your higher max automatically shoves it up to £7 so you remain the highest bidder.

Johnny doesn't like this, so bids again, chancing £10 this time thinking he's being clever by going over that £1 step he's seen. You're now the top bidder at £11, so Johnny gives up and starts shoving up the prices of other items he's impulse bidding on.

Well done, you've just cost yourself £5 by bidding early. Had you been a sniper, Johnny would have been the highest bidder at a fiver and you'd have won it for £6.

That's assuming Johnny is the only one to do this. You'll often find 2 Johnnys competing with one another, pushing prices higher and higher.

This is why everyone should snipe with their maximum bid in the closing second and not bid earlier unless they don't mind just wasting money.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Shouldn't the point of an auction be it ends when no one wants to bid any further? Sniping defeats the point of this, and it's all very well saying "just bid your maximum" but it's not always clear what something is worth, and will stop any form of bidding wars which make the seller (and ebay) more money

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:05 pm

Problem with putting in your max bid straight away is that there are so many dishonest sellers shilling their own auctions. I see it all the time where a second account will consistently bid up an auction then when it exceeds the highest genuine bid, the shill accounts bid is withdrawn ensuring the auction will go to the highest bidders maximum bid amount.

Last few seconds is the only time and only way to bid on anything.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Dirk Gently

Post by Dirk Gently » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:36 pm

A compromise, I have to agree with the points raised. Nice guys come last etc. Maybe to make a body feel good - slap on a nominal bid, then rip into it in the last moments. Shill bidders are whores though. I've smelt a few rats over the years. I had a max bid on a vectrex once, close to end bids arrived slowly but surely from same bidder, about seven in total. Knocked me up to my max - then he disappeared.

I don't understand though - folk on here are groovy types, yet I thought snipers were bastards?

(A joke).

Let's call shill bidders and their masters the true mendicants of ebay.

Happy Xmas everyone!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:39 pm

I win plenty of stuff on ebay without the need for snipping, some stuff I get cheap some I get for what I was willing to pay, I tend not to get into bidding wars though, it's ebay, there'll be another one of whatever I'm bidding on along soon enough.
Splink!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:40 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Anyone not sniping is just pushing up the price needlessly. Everyone should snipe, makes no difference if you do it manually or automate it. Highest bidder wins, no matter whether its a sniper or not, but bidding early just gives others who don't quite 'get' how it works the chance to push up the price.

Think about it. You see an item you want and bid the £30 you're willing to pay as a max.

It starts out at £5 as the lowest bid, so you're sitting on a fiver.

Johnny Dumbass then comes along and decides he'd like it, so bids £6. Your higher max automatically shoves it up to £7 so you remain the highest bidder.

Johnny doesn't like this, so bids again, chancing £10 this time thinking he's being clever by going over that £1 step he's seen. You're now the top bidder at £11, so Johnny gives up and starts shoving up the prices of other items he's impulse bidding on.

Well done, you've just cost yourself £5 by bidding early. Had you been a sniper, Johnny would have been the highest bidder at a fiver and you'd have won it for £6.

That's assuming Johnny is the only one to do this. You'll often find 2 Johnnys competing with one another, pushing prices higher and higher.

This is why everyone should snipe with their maximum bid in the closing second and not bid earlier unless they don't mind just wasting money.
This is absolutely sound advice. Its the only way to use ebay if you use auctions, not BIN's. As c0nfu3ed said, even if you snipe, you won't always win.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Still

If it goes for my max price I dont mind as it means I have spent how ever much I want to on something