Bridge Cameras

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sega2006

Bridge Cameras

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Ive got a little bit of christmas money so Ive been looking to upgrade the 10 mp compact Ive got to something with a bit more ommph, I definately cannot afford an SLR and I dont want another compact so Ive been looking at bridge cameras, problem is finding out which ones best for my money and wether or not I can pick it up locally as ideally Id like something that I will have for christmas day (aswell as the retro shots from the little Konica).
Ive got around the £100 mark, I may be able the squeeze a little more money if its the right camera for me, so far Argos have got a few Samsungs on offer and Boots had a nice little Vivitar but Im stumped for places to look.

Thanks in advance for any help given.
Watching you sleep since 1990

The Angry Jock

Re: Bridge Cameras

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:33 am

I jumped recently from a compact digital to compact system camera (DSLR lite Nikon 1) so I'm of little help. But what I'd do is check out the amazon reviews, you usually get some tech-gubbin guru pouring everything out, then google camera forums and review sites.

I'd stay away from own brand like Vivitar.

Since moving to compact system however I've realised the value of a memory cards, I got one of these (16gb) Sandisk Extreme Pro for my Nikon 1 as with burst shooting at full resolution a regular 20mb/s card would only let me take 4/5 pictures before grinding to a halt, doesn't happen with the 95mb/s Sandisk. It also seems to transfer pictures much fast onto the computer. Well worth the extra money.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:53 am

i just bought this one recently
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 598548.htm
it's bloody marvelous for the money, especially if you can find any discount codes, homebase also carry it (at this time of year they carry a few argos lines for xmas) so check for discount codes from them too
i wanted a bridge that could do decent video too and most of them have very poor quality audio, this one however has a fantastic quality microphone
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:58 am

Take a look at a FUJIFILM FinePix S2980, I have one, very well made, most of the functionality of a low end DSLR but for 1/3 the price:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/fujifilm-f ... 8-pdt.html
http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/digital-cam ... pix-s2980/
HADDOCKEN!

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:14 am

Last year before christmas I was looking at the Nikon L810 - available in a few colours for those who like that kind of thing - plus its 16mp and its Nikon. Currently £129.99 - though the Samsung one at 95 is good too.

Vivitar is best avoided as they really are the lower end of the scale. Personally speaking I ended up with a Canon DSLR as a present so i never got round to buying my bridge after all - the reviews on Amazon and even Argos themselves do speak for themselves though so have a good read.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:56 am

I have to admit that after 4 months my Nikon stopped working, however once I sent the thing back (free post) for investigation it was fixed and back in my sweaty palms within 3 days. Shame I took 2 months to post it in the first place :oops: but I had a new lens to try out and Chrimbo is approaching.

So, in conclusion to my story +1 to Nikon customer support.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:03 am

I do like the Nikons but I dont think I can quite stretch to one, I will now however cross the vivitar off my list, Ive been looking at the Fujitsu's aswell but they seem to be only giving me 14mp compared to simlar priced other brands manageing 16.1mp, the Samsungs are growing more tempting as my local store has them in stock, there was also a Panasonic with money off on currys website that was a touch over budget but looked quite promising.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:05 am

I wouldn't worry too much about mega-pixels, you should be looking at overall quality and features.
Retropassion reborn

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:23 am

Yeah don't get it into paying over the odds just to get more Mega Pixels. They aren't the be all and end all, for example you can get DSLR with say 14MP but overall it will still be much much better than a normal Digital camera with 16MP.

I would say if I were you I'd save my money and wait for a good DSLR deal, I haven't got one but my girlfriend does and they are fantastic, tons of features and settings to play with fantastic lenses etc You can't go wrong with one really. I really want to pick up one for myself.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:35 am

I've been through two or three of these Fuji bridge cameras now and I'm getting a bit tired of them. In the last few years they've gone on a stupid arms race over zoom settings, from 10x up to 30x, whilst trying to claim that automatically switching to a high shutter speed counts as 'image stabilisation'. They've also gone from in-body zooming to ludicrously long telescoping lenses that end up with the tiniest pinhole of light actually falling on the sensor. Some do now have digital per-frame anti-shake or optical anti-shake, but 30x zoom is a bit ridiculous. Also bear in mind that the 1x 'zoom' setting is really 'very wide angle', and it's only around the 10-20% 'zoom' point that you actually get an ordinarily proportioned picture that doesn't suffer 'barrel' distortion.

The last one I bought had 10x zoom and 8MPixels. All the ones I've seen since have such appalling grainyness and noise on the images on anything other than a bright sunny day that I won't have another one. I've seen a few of these kit compacts that are no better, as they still have the small compact camera sensor. I'm putting my money aside until I can get something like Canon's lower-priced DLSRs. They may have fewer pixels and a shorter range of zoom on the standard lens, but they make each pixel count and they're much better indoors without a flash.

For holiday panormic shots of a coastline, whichever brand-name pocket compact is on sale at the time will do. I've got a little 14MP Fuji that acts up from condensation at the slightest hint of British drizzle, but takes great auto-panoramas in the Greek sunshine for wallpapering across two widescreen monitors at work.

But if you are going to go for a bridge camera, you've got the right idea in not spending over £100 - maybe pick up the previous year's model at a discount. Anything more and you'll be disappointed You'll probably get slightly better pictures than the equivalently priced pocket compact thanks to the bigger lens, and 10x zoom is more fun than 3x. But more expensive compacts can now manage such zooms, and can take better pictures.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:46 am

The Nikon has an overall good build quality and ease of use , as well as a high MP count.Nikon being one of the better camera makers out there manage to balance quality and reasonable price.

The MP count isnt THAT important but not buying Vivitar sure is. A lot of compact cameras boast a high MP count yet the pictures look terrible. From Personal experience I have found that HP / Kodak and Fuji offer reasonable point and click use for most people - I find them lacking but fine for a quick snap.

Also consider whether you want the 'commitment' of even a bridge camera. Most point n clicks fit into rucksacks etc. Once you have to pack a seperate bag for your camera,it becomes sometimes a little less 'ready'.

If Im out on my bike I do tend to stick to phone or cheap n cheery pocket camera - simply for weight/space preservation. If im off on foot or exploring then I tend to take the DSLR/tripod/flash/teasmade.

As I said , check out the reviews and the camera forums too.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:51 am

Here is the panasonic I previously mentioned, I can't find any reviews on it however
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic- ... s~18781425

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:06 am

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-L810- ... x-DMC-LZ20

Thats a comparison between the Panasonic and the Nikon. May help a little though it is still mainly specs rather than use

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:48 am

Well Ive found I can get the l810 for around £130 locally, so I will have to do my sums later and see if I can scrape the extra £30, Ive got a christmas bonus from one of my jobs so I might just be able to do it.

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:28 am

If not go for the Nikon L310 which you can pick up for £110 if you look around. I have it and its an excellent camera with a very good macro mode (which is why I purchased it)