Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

killbot

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by killbot » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:22 pm

James A wrote:Some of the worst journalism ive seen since the Edge Resident Evil 5 is racist article
In a year that's given us the NOTW hacking a dead girl's phone, the revelations about Hilsborough and Newsnight burying the Savile story the worst examples of journalism you can think of are those?

I can quite understand why Edge had issues about RE5 - cleverer people than either of us have made a persuasive case over the years that - whether intentional or not - some of the imagery was very ill-considered. As for the Sun story - it may be kneejerk journalism but at least it's predictable kneejerk journalism.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:10 pm

koopa42 wrote:Can't they do some sh1t like on the Titanic? Bear with me as I explain LOL like the watertight door gubbins

Auto doors at key points in schools, maybe even on each classroom, and when shots are fired (weather it's a big red button press by someone or some techno scanner gubbins set for gun crap) all the doors shut. OK so the people in the room with the psycho are done for but everyone else is safe? That's what I would do anyway
They have these things called 'windows' that are made of easily breakable glass. Might be alright for the upper floors but anyone on the ground floor would be easy to get to unless you also start barring windows or making them bulletproof, but then you'll start losing kids to fires and the like when they can't easily get out that way.

Given most kids are more tech savvy than adults, your lone gunman could end up with the ability to only open the doors he wants, so he could happily wipe out the entire school one class at a time since they've no escape route if they're locked in.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:20 pm

Why not just lock all the doors when school is in session and have an intercom type thing (ith CCTV) for late comers

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:27 pm

why not stop the easy access to automatic weapons.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:27 pm

koopa42 wrote:Can't they do some sh1t like on the Titanic? Bear with me as I explain LOL like the watertight door gubbins

Auto doors at key points in schools, maybe even on each classroom, and when shots are fired (weather it's a big red button press by someone or some techno scanner gubbins set for gun crap) all the doors shut. OK so the people in the room with the psycho are done for but everyone else is safe? That's what I would do anyway
DPrinny wrote:Why not just lock all the doors when school is in session and have an intercom type thing (ith CCTV) for late comers

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:29 pm

The Scums headline this morning sums it all up. All games will now be based around making peace with people and giving them bubble wrapped presents of lovely-ness.

Burn the games and consoles. Come to think of it , ive recently started jumping on tortoises and throwing the shells at other creatures whilst eating mushrooms.

The man was obviously susceptible to being a censored. He killed lots of people which instantly makes him a censored and pretty much everything about his c#nty life built him up to his moment of c#ntishness. Give a censored a gun or access to one , you make an evil censored. Raise him on a healthy diet of being a censored and he will stay a censored.

Just a shame the censored killed himself - but then he gets the notoriety he wanted,instead of just being called a censored like he deserved.

censored.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:40 pm

Yep. they can't go after guns .... too risky so it'll be the games for sure

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:42 pm

shiftytigger wrote:The Scums headline this morning sums it all up. All games will now be based around making peace with people and giving them bubble wrapped presents of lovely-ness.
To play devil's advocate for a moment, why do you say that like it's a bad thing? While I'm certainly not about to jump on the bandwaggon of making lurid claims about games influencing killers, I'm not averse to the idea that the outrageous violence and obsession with military (and paramilitary) culture and hardware which pervades many modern games is, taken in large doses, potentially unhealthy.

Games may be becoming ever more free and open in terms of their ideas, but a good 80% of the way you interact with the world in any given game still revolves around violence, whether it's super-realistic violence of the CoD games or the heavily abstract turtle-jumping of NSMB. If I look at the games on my shelf, how many do I see in which the player commits no violent acts during the game of any description? Hotel Dusk is one (although there is a shooting which takes place in the opening cut-scene). Tetris is another. After that... I'm struggling.

Maybe what we need to do is take a long inward look at why we like digitised violence so much, to the extent that we actually mock the notion of games that don't feature it. That won't stop any school shootings because games aren't the root cause of those, but it might improve gaming's image and make us all generally feel a bit better about ourselves.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:41 pm

I thought Edge were just reporting the fact that others were making out that Res 5 was being racist in the way it was portraying Africans. Even though the setting is in Africa and 99% of the population is going to be African. But that's another story all together. What shocked me was you have all these scared kids and you had all those c0ck smoker journalists sticking their mics in their faces trying to get the scoop. Those kids have just been scarred for life and your asking what happened to be told in detail

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:51 pm

silvergunner wrote:I thought Edge were just reporting the fact that others were making out that Res 5 was being racist in the way it was portraying Africans. Even though the setting is in Africa and 99% of the population is going to be African.
I think - and this is taking me back a few years - there was a specific scene in a trailer where dozens of black Africans were being killed around you but you were fixated on trying to rescue a white European woman. That caused a right stink, and possibly with good cause.

Also the whole 'white man goes to Africa' feel was... unsettling. It almost had the feel of one of those repulsive Victorian novels where some lantern-jawed white guy went to give the natives a damn good thrashing. By sending a white protagonist into an African setting, the developers were, perhaps unintentionally, tapping into a whole cultural and literary tradition without the wit or the nous to treat it sensitively.

And yes, one of the secondary protagonists was black. But, with her pale skin-tone and straight hair, she was very much a white man's idea of what a black woman should look like. There's insensitivity there, too - black women being pressurised into looking and acting white is a long-standing issue as anyone who's read Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye will attest.
Last edited by killbot on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:53 pm

I dont think its a case of 'bad thing' , just trying to show a polar opposite to point out that blaming games in a knee jerk style as usual fails to address the underlying issues and factors that built up to this.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Blame that he was a psycho in the first place and maybe games helped calm his urges

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:16 pm

DPrinny wrote:Blame that he was a psycho in the first place and maybe games helped calm his urges
Again, playing devil's advocate - is there any more evidence for that theory than there is for the Sun's theory that games broke his brain and made him go on a kill-crazy rampage?

Maybe we as gamers need to take our heads out of the sand and acknowledge that while the quite extraordinary levels of graphic violence seen in our hobby might not cause this behaviour, they may very equally not help either. What's needed is a reasoned debate which centres on the scientific evidence, not a wilfully antagonistic mud-slinging session between those who would condemn games on one side and those who would defend them to the death on the other.

None of this is going to bring those kids back, but if we can gain a fuller understanding of the psychology of these people and why they do what they do (instead of just writing them off as merely a 'psycho') we might cut the risk of it happening again. I do agree on one thing and that's that the most important thing now is for Obama to bite the bullet (so to speak) and start making moves toward greater gun control. He'll never have a bigger opportunity or more of a public mandate. Once he's done that, we can start to screw down into the more complex causal factors behind these kind of massacres.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:36 pm

Thing is killbot, a psycho is exactly what the guy was. As is anyone else who does anything like it, it is the only reason for the massacre taking place. No one in their right mind would do what he did unless they were a psycho. No video game, movie, music or anything else contributed to its occurrence.

I think guns being as freely available as they are in the states is far more worrying than the effects of COD on the populace.

Eat your nans pants

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:04 pm

He was on drugs to calm his psychotic urges.
What was someone with this mental condition doing with guns in the first place?
Why wasn't he kept an eye on?

There are far more violent games out there than COD and Dynasty Warriors (Dont even consider this to be that bad,im a fan of it and its a great stress reliever).

Case and point, how meany people out there play COD?
How meany of them have gone on a killing spree?