Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

sscott

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by sscott » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:43 pm

Out of morbid curiosity I visited the NRA website, not a mention of the shootings anywhere I could find. Ba$tards!

James A

Post by James A » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:35 pm

Well today sums up America for me. One Congressmans views on gun control and the massacre that happend, the teachers should have been armed!!!! WTF is it any wonder that country is the biggest threat to humanity existence with idiots like that in power.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:17 pm

US Handgun Culture.

I wouldn't think that any country would respond to outside pressure, nor should they.
However, harking back to the war of independence as a reason to retain personal weapons? I'm not sure this chap realises quite how that sounds to someone not steeped in the gun culture.
It does seem that, to some Americans, being able to have a firearm is to be American.

According to this guy, lack of empathy caused by reality TV and blowing people up on xBox has changed society and caused the rise of these sort of tragedies.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:59 am

Starting to see the old chesnut being used this morning in the tabloids: "Lanza spent hours playing bloodthirsty computer games such as Call Of Duty." Whilst listening to heavy metal too no doubt :wink:

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:11 am

The interview Jeremy Paxman did HERE with American novelist Lionel Shriver is the most measured and balanced I have seen so far.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:43 am

r0jaws wrote:What about the possibility that he was just an evil, self-absorbed, pathetic, @rsehole, and decided to take out his aggression on some 6 year olds with an assault rifle? :evil:
I agree with that, in the old days thats what most people thought. Now theres a 'condition' for every single incident like this as doctors/shrinks try to explain why he did that. Again i'm not saying violent video games/music is responsible (not at all), BUT for any kid with that 'condition' whatever they watched/listened to it wouldnt matter, theyre 'gone in the head' - yep not very PC i know ! If this happened 40 years ago i'm sure a tabloid would say Tom & Jerry or Elvis Presley was the reason !

merman

Post by merman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:03 am

shiftytigger wrote:Apparently , if some of the teachers had been armed , these things may never happen or may get stopped quicker - (thanks for the wise words from one of those crazy people preparing for the end of the world).

How about maybe locking the stable door before the horse has bolted.

Im sure not all americans are that far back on the evolutionary scale - i know quite a few who definetly arent. Unfortunately , those that are have all the guns. In a zombie apocalypse they may survive for a good while.However if were all killed by a massive space rock , im not sure shooting it out of the sky will work.
One of the teachers was armed. Adam Lanza's mother legally owned the guns he used to shoot up the school. That's that argument blown out of the water (if you'll excuse the violent expression).
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:07 am

Unfortunately I would image 'Murica will find it easier and cheaper to just post armed security at schools than ban firearms.

It's a bit strange that they don't already actually, hospitals and office blocks have armed private security.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:08 am

merman wrote:One of the teachers was armed. Adam Lanza's mother legally owned the guns he used to shoot up the school. That's that argument blown out of the water (if you'll excuse the violent expression).
Not sure the gunman would wait for the teacher to drive all the way home, get the gun, then drive all the way back again (plus his mother was shot in bed apparently).

They're probably talking about keeping it in the classroom, which is asking for trouble.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:10 am

Can't they do some sh1t like on the Titanic? Bear with me as I explain LOL like the watertight door gubbins

Auto doors at key points in schools, maybe even on each classroom, and when shots are fired (weather it's a big red button press by someone or some techno scanner gubbins set for gun crap) all the doors shut. OK so the people in the room with the psycho are done for but everyone else is safe? That's what I would do anyway

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:32 am

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... l-massacre
Meanwhile, The Daily Express has singled out Dynasty Warriors in its coverage of the tragedy.
“Chillingly, his favourite video game was said to be a shockingly violent fantasy war game called Dynasty Warriors which is thought to have given him inspiration to act on his darkest thoughts," the paper said in a report published yesterday.

Its like they have never played it

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:34 am

DPrinny wrote: Its like they have never played it
At least now we have proof to the gun lovers that this kind of thing will happen again and again, albeit almost identical each time.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:54 am

QuantumCrayons wrote:
DPrinny wrote: Its like they have never played it
At least now we have proof to the gun lovers that this kind of thing will happen again and again, albeit almost identical each time.

I will kill you in almost the same way each year for that.

James A

Post by James A » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Some of the worst journalism ive seen since the Edge Resident Evil 5 is racist article

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... lanza.html

I especially like the fact that they make such a big issue of the fact that he had a poster on the wall of every tank the US army has had and that he lived in the basement. :roll:

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:22 pm

James A wrote:Some of the worst journalism ive seen since the Edge Resident Evil 5 is racist article
In a year that's given us the NOTW hacking a dead girl's phone, the revelations about Hilsborough and Newsnight burying the Savile story the worst examples of journalism you can think of are those?

I can quite understand why Edge had issues about RE5 - cleverer people than either of us have made a persuasive case over the years that - whether intentional or not - some of the imagery was very ill-considered. As for the Sun story - it may be kneejerk journalism but at least it's predictable kneejerk journalism.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360