Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6369
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by merman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:22 pm

At least six major shootings this year alone... And gun control was not a major issue during the Presidential election, when it clearly should have been a priority. Nobody needs an assault rifle capable of firing 50 rounds a minute, even a hunter.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24427
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by DPrinny » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:24 pm

merman wrote:At least six major shootings this year alone... And gun control was not a major issue during the Presidential election, when it clearly should have been a priority. Nobody needs an assault rifle capable of firing 50 rounds a minute, even a hunter.
Add on to it they will not b good on Z-day

James A
Posts: 3486
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:34 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by James A » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:19 pm

Speaking to an American friend theres already rumblings because Obamas started saying that gun control needs to change. Give it a week or two to settle down or another big news story comes along it will either be kicked in the grass or the NRA will start throwing alot of money at the whole guns don't kill people argument again.

I think if they did try to limit or ban gun ownership in the US you would be looking at near Civil War there. You saw how much trouble was caused with Health Care.

Oh and if anyone throws the old video games / movies / music needs banning argument because it kills people how many people have died because of religion and yet we don't see that banned?
Image

User avatar
QuantumCrayons
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:17 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by QuantumCrayons » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:02 pm

James A wrote: Oh and if anyone throws the old video games / movies / music needs banning argument because it kills people how many people have died because of religion and yet we don't see that banned?
You can't fire a religious ideal at a person, that is the distinction.

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by markopoloman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:29 pm

I know a couple of English people that have lived in the USA for years - one owns 5 guns (Including a sub machine gun :shock: ) and he know someone that owns a bloody fully working tank!

Imagine going hunting with either a sub machine gun or a tank. The yanks are truly stupid when it comes to guns.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24427
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by DPrinny » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:41 pm

markopoloman wrote:I know a couple of English people that have lived in the USA for years - one owns 5 guns (Including a sub machine gun :shock: ) and he know someone that owns a bloody fully working tank!

Imagine going hunting with either a sub machine gun or a tank. The yanks are truly stupid when it comes to guns.
You can legally own a ex military tank in the UK as well and drive it

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26670
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:20 am

DPrinny wrote:
markopoloman wrote:I know a couple of English people that have lived in the USA for years - one owns 5 guns (Including a sub machine gun :shock: ) and he know someone that owns a bloody fully working tank!

Imagine going hunting with either a sub machine gun or a tank. The yanks are truly stupid when it comes to guns.
You can legally own a ex military tank in the UK as well and drive it
In the UK, the guns must be deactivated. You can drive your tank around, but you can't fire the gun, its for show only.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24427
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by DPrinny » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:29 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:
markopoloman wrote:I know a couple of English people that have lived in the USA for years - one owns 5 guns (Including a sub machine gun :shock: ) and he know someone that owns a bloody fully working tank!

Imagine going hunting with either a sub machine gun or a tank. The yanks are truly stupid when it comes to guns.
You can legally own a ex military tank in the UK as well and drive it
In the UK, the guns must be deactivated. You can drive your tank around, but you can't fire the gun, its for show only.
true, but people will never argue whos parking space it is.

Plus it makes a great clothes line

User avatar
samhain81
Posts: 2393
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:02 am
Location: Hazuki Residence

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by samhain81 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:32 am

I will never understand a country where owning guns is a universal right, and healthcare is a priveledge

User avatar
greenberet79
Posts: 3350
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:40 am

Who was it who said - "if everyone who owned a gun killed themselves, then we wouldn't have a problem."

Bit over the top, but they make a point.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

psj3809
Posts: 18753
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by psj3809 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:53 am

Tragic what happened, very very sad hearing the stories, those teachers were very brave specially the ones who hid the kids in cupboards and then got shot themselves.

Dont think guns are the problem, if theres no guns these socially-inept 'odd' kids would simply get a baseball bat or some other weapon. Look at China, guns arent legal there, quite a few attacks there on schools by nutters with knives. Anyone sane basically wouldnt have done what that kid did, and what was it over ? Had an argument with the teachers/his mum the night before ?

Sadly i'm sure there'll be more attacks in the future from some kid who is upset at the 'world'. 'Angry music', violent computer games or violent movies are fine for 99% of us to watch/play. But if you've got some chemical inbalance in your brain then it doesnt matter if you watch Tom and Jerry or Texas Chainsaw massacre, listen to Steps or Marilyn Manson, 'some' of these kids will do something very very bad. Is it a severe form of aspergers/or severe bi-polar which theyve mentioned ? The way these kids have been brought up, kids who are basically a bit 'simple' ? This kids mum/brother seemed fine people, did the divorce really hurt this kid ? Years of having not many friends and being socially awkward etc ? What was it ? The problem are kids with mental health issues, not guns.

Thankfully these instances are rare but how do you stop these kids ?

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24427
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by DPrinny » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:38 am

The old friends of the people Westbro Babiest church are apparently picketing the funerals.
As a result Anonymous have hacked there site and released names and addresses. Also are getting them pushed as a hate group
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... n=shorturl

I am in favour of them doing this

James A
Posts: 3486
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:34 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by James A » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:36 am

DPrinny wrote:The old friends of the people Westbro Babiest church are apparently picketing the funerals.
As a result Anonymous have hacked there site and released names and addresses. Also are getting them pushed as a hate group
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... n=shorturl

I am in favour of them doing this
Im not a fan of Anonymous but in this case i would back them. Its not going to be long before one of the Westboro church gets themselves killed with what they do and where they do it.
Image

User avatar
shiftytigger
Posts: 2965
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:53 am
Location: East London

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:25 pm

Apparently , if some of the teachers had been armed , these things may never happen or may get stopped quicker - (thanks for the wise words from one of those crazy people preparing for the end of the world).

How about maybe locking the stable door before the horse has bolted.

Im sure not all americans are that far back on the evolutionary scale - i know quite a few who definetly arent. Unfortunately , those that are have all the guns. In a zombie apocalypse they may survive for a good while.However if were all killed by a massive space rock , im not sure shooting it out of the sky will work.
Image

User avatar
r0jaws
Posts: 1860
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by r0jaws » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:36 pm

psj3809 wrote:..... Is it a severe form of aspergers/or severe bi-polar which theyve mentioned ? The way these kids have been brought up, kids who are basically a bit 'simple' ? This kids mum/brother seemed fine people, did the divorce really hurt this kid ? Years of having not many friends and being socially awkward etc ? What was it ?....
What about the possibility that he was just an evil, self-absorbed, pathetic, @rsehole, and decided to take out his aggression on some 6 year olds with an assault rifle? :evil:
psj3809 wrote:...Dont think guns are the problem, if theres no guns these socially-inept 'odd' kids would simply get a baseball bat or some other weapon.....
One person, armed with a gun can exert their will much more effectively than one person with a bat or knife. It is very easy, and quick, to kill with a firearm, at a distance.
Armed with a bat or knife requires you to get physically close, be skilled, and relatively strong in order to kill. Even a child would be considerably harder to kill with a hand weapon.
The availability of firearms, and their easy accessibility makes them the weapon of choice for twig armed losers like this. Without a firearm, his murderous impulse may have been restricted to stoving his mums head in with a baseball bat and then hanging himself.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest