Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

killbot

Re: shooter shoots 27 people in elmentary school in the u

Post by killbot » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:38 pm

I don't doubt that he was a 'psycho'. But, to paraphrase Prinny, lots of people out there have mental illnesses. How many of them go on a killing spree?

I would be amazed if the reasons for this tragedy were as simple as some are claiming. There were probably dozens of factors which made that particular guy, on that particular day, snap and go on a killing spree while a guy across town who is on similar meds for a similar condition didn't.

Was one of the issues that playing CoD helped fuel an obsession with guns and killing? I'm not a psychologist so I can't say, but I'm willing to entertain the possibility that it was. That's not to say that without CoD the tragedy wouldn't have happened, or that CoD is solely and directly responsible. But maybe it's part of a pattern of behaviour.

Here's food for thought - not everyone who plays violent games becomes a murdering psycho, but every murdering psycho seems to play violent games. Why? Is it just because those games appeal to that mindset? Or is the connection deeper?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:57 pm

killbot wrote: Here's food for thought - not everyone who plays violent games becomes a murdering psycho, but every murdering psycho seems to play violent games. Why? Is it just because those games appeal to that mindset? Or is the connection deeper?
It's probably just because of how widespread they are; Modern Warfare 2, for example, sold 1.23 million copies on launch, in the UK alone. That means that, on launch day, there's a 2% chance of a random Brit owning just that game. Expand this out and a very high percentage of people generally play them.
It's also likely that those content with life won't commit such crimes; those uncontent with life (lack of social contact, disdain for society etc.) are more likely to commit such crimes. These people are probably more likely to play video games as it's a solitary pursuit.

I wouldn't say it's a connection necessarily, just statistics.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Pretty much all of us on this forum play violent games. Has playing this type of game had any ill effect on anyone here?

Using games as an excuse is just that - an excuse. The problem lies with the individual with a mental problem being able to gain access to automatic weapons or whatever. In a world full of human rights and PC, the psycho's are just integrated back into society and it is hoped that they stay calm and out of trouble. This just doesn't work.

I've got kids (lots) and it really pishes me off that the school they attend is one of the best in the area - so everyone tries to get their kids in. It's a Church School. At the very top of the intake (above Church going children) are the statemented children. These are generally children with learning difficulties - and my kids school has the highest amount of statemented children in Dorset. These kids are disruptive in the class but have to be included.
My 15yr old daughter was taking a mock exam yesterday but was put off by one of these kids sitting next to her masturbating under the table. It;s not just a one off - some try to climb the drain pipes and run around the roof ffs. They should be in special schools for children with learning difficulties. Then, after full time education, they should be looked after properly.

I want my kids to be safe - I don't believe they are with the current system.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:49 am

^Good post. I can see what they are trying to do, trying to not make these kids feel 'excluded' or not 'normal'. But on the other hand as you posted above it just doesnt seem to work.

At our school in the 80's you had remedial classes, these kids got the mick taken out of them something rotten, on the other hand when they try and integrate them and one boy runs round class pretending hes a motor car and other girl just puts her head in her hands and doesnt talk to anyone, giggles non stop if you try and say hello its just not helping anyone. Just as the clever swots were in different classes (so they werent kept back skillwise) i think you have to do the same with kids with learning difficulties.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:24 am

One thing that get me is
He was a Dynasty warriors fan.
Why no rampage with large pointy thing?

(Cosplay idea when I get some cash Lu "Ill wreck your s**t" Bu)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:27 am

So you would have preferred it if he went on a rampage in a kids school with a cosplay outfit on ?

:roll:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:42 am

psj3809 wrote:So you would have preferred it if he went on a rampage in a kids school with a cosplay outfit on ?

:roll:

Kudos to anyone that trys a costume like this.

Still

What about that drone attacks in Pakistan? Killing more people than this lone gun man nutter.

Oh wait the rest of the world dont care about that countrys kids

merman

Post by merman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:48 am

10 Afghan children killed by a landmine while out gathering wood this week.

The media blaming any form of media has missed the point - HE USED HIS MOTHER'S GUNS. She owned them legally. Selling assault rifles to people outside the military makes no sense.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:55 am

killbot wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Blame that he was a psycho in the first place and maybe games helped calm his urges
Again, playing devil's advocate - is there any more evidence for that theory than there is for the Sun's theory that games broke his brain and made him go on a kill-crazy rampage?
I'm not trying to ignore the rest of your points as you make some good ones, but this one in particular - sheer numbers. The sheer number of people who play violent video games and don't go on a rampage is proof enough. The series has sold over 100 million copies in its lifetime, and maybe 3 or 4 sprees have been linked to it. That's 0.000003%. I don't think you can prove anything with that low a percentage.

This is also coming from a Call of Duty hater, by the way.

I'm in no way saying that videogames are the healthiest of pastimes, especially for people of a certain mental instability, but any people that claim that they are the cause of these heinous acts is using a very lazy scapegoat. What about other forms of media? Not only fiction, but documentaries about mass killers? The news? The games media is now the biggest (by sales) on the planet: such a proliferation could be linked to anything that happens, if you think about it.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:04 am

r0jaws wrote:One person, armed with a gun can exert their will much more effectively than one person with a bat or knife. It is very easy, and quick, to kill with a firearm, at a distance.
Armed with a bat or knife requires you to get physically close, be skilled, and relatively strong in order to kill. Even a child would be considerably harder to kill with a hand weapon.
The availability of firearms, and their easy accessibility makes them the weapon of choice for twig armed losers like this. Without a firearm, his murderous impulse may have been restricted to stoving his mums head in with a baseball bat and then hanging himself.
I was browsing Wiki and noticed this on the main page and I immediately remembered your post:

Chenpeng Village Primary School stabbing

At the same time almost as the shooting! However, this goes someway to greying your argument. Granted none of those kids were killed (just slashed and/or disfigured) I don't think it's be much of a stretch to say mass murder with knives is possible.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:48 am

Is harder as it has to be used up close (Unless you believe hat somebody can be 100% accurate throwing them all the time) and its easier to deal with some one with one.

The one in america is big news as its in america and most people dont give two s***s about the rest of the world

Its the old news thing, small Chinese girl gets murdered it will be a few pages in if at all, white girl gets stabbed its front page.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:39 pm

My 15yr old daughter was taking a mock exam yesterday but was put off by one of these kids sitting next to her masturbating under the table
id give a gold star to anyone having cheeky w@nk while sitting an exam, top stuff

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:41 pm

markopoloman wrote:Pretty much all of us on this forum play violent games. Has playing this type of game had any ill effect on anyone here?

Using games as an excuse is just that - an excuse. The problem lies with the individual with a mental problem being able to gain access to automatic weapons or whatever. In a world full of human rights and PC, the psycho's are just integrated back into society and it is hoped that they stay calm and out of trouble. This just doesn't work.

I've got kids (lots) and it really pishes me off that the school they attend is one of the best in the area - so everyone tries to get their kids in. It's a Church School. At the very top of the intake (above Church going children) are the statemented children. These are generally children with learning difficulties - and my kids school has the highest amount of statemented children in Dorset. These kids are disruptive in the class but have to be included.
My 15yr old daughter was taking a mock exam yesterday but was put off by one of these kids sitting next to her masturbating under the table. It;s not just a one off - some try to climb the drain pipes and run around the roof ffs. They should be in special schools for children with learning difficulties. Then, after full time education, they should be looked after properly.

I want my kids to be safe - I don't believe they are with the current system.
So by that rule my 9 year old , quiet well loved dyspraxic boy should be forgotten about and removed from mainstream education for having learning difficulties. Nothing would be gained but isolation and estranging them from friends possibly leading to social issues. Learning difficulties spans a wide range - Dyslexia included.

Add to this that some behavioural issues could actually be terrible parenting - ADHD is oft diagnosed when actually spending time and affection on a child works wonders.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:57 pm

shiftytigger wrote: Add to this that some behavioural issues could actually be terrible parenting - ADHD is oft diagnosed when actually spending time and affection on a child works wonders.
This is the truth. My missus has worked in a school, the same school for over 15 years, in the nursery/junior side of it. These days she knows through experience that if a kid coughs in the wrong direction? next day they've got ADHD and about a week later? they've learnt that it gets them out of the sh1t and then the rest is history, another kid living off ADHD. When she started you would get maybe 2 or 3 kids who needed help whether dyslexia/ADD/autism/slight difficulties etc but now? sometimes over 50% of a group have problems! Bullcrap

OK so I accept that diagnosis gubbins is a learning curve and you would probably expect an increase as new things became known over years but come on, it's gone waaaaaaay past that now with parents doing a crap job and wanting to blame everyone and the moon for troubled little sh1t kids that probably could be doing so much better if their parents weren't pr1cks.

I agree that where possible you should try and keep any kids that need help in the main system because exclusion is just not gonna help later on

shiftytigger

Re: Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Our boy had his christmas show today for the parents and I was actually ashamed of the parents for their behaviour. Always talking,answering phones and letting their little ones run around and shout. One even threatened to beat up someone who asked them to be quiet.

I know it sounds sappy but I would hasten to remind them how hard their kids work despite their parenting and that those families in america wont be watching their kids christmas shows this year. They just dont realise how lucky they are.

With parents like this,no wonder kids are struggling.