unlocking an iphone 4 - help

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mainvein

unlocking an iphone 4 - help

Post by mainvein » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:16 pm

i just bought the missus an iphone 4 for xmas, but i need to unlock it so it will work on giffgaff. just been checking around on t'web and some companies are trying to charge a fortune for this. anyone here unlocked one for cheap (i.e free)?

tekaotaku

Re: unlocking an iphone 4 - help

Post by tekaotaku » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:16 am

Have you checked with your network provider? some offer (for a fee of course) to unlock your phone. I know you wanted the free option so perhaps a little reading into Jail breaking your phone? Or you could try one of those Gevey SIM un-lockers. There all over eBay at the min, but I think its firmware/iOS dependent and you have to buy the right "chip" for your firmware/iOS version.

I remember nokia code generators back in the day, so much simpler, damn smart phones.....
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:07 am

Someone had a thread similar to yours recently, i posted about going down the local dodgy newsagent and getting it unblocked there, for an iphone its quite dear though

But someone posted that apparently the network it was locked to have to by law unlock it if you move. Worth seeing what network it was on and talking to them ? I always went the dodgy route of the local shop in town who deal with unlocking phones, but apparently you can get it done by the phone provider ?

Never ever heard of giffgaff ?!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:42 am

psj3809 wrote:Someone had a thread similar to yours recently, i posted about going down the local dodgy newsagent and getting it unblocked there, for an iphone its quite dear though

But someone posted that apparently the network it was locked to have to by law unlock it if you move. Worth seeing what network it was on and talking to them ? I always went the dodgy route of the local shop in town who deal with unlocking phones, but apparently you can get it done by the phone provider ?

Never ever heard of giffgaff ?!
That was probably me. All network providers are obliged to provide an unlocking service for a nominal fee, once the subsidy on your phone is paid off under the contract. You can read about it on Ofcom's website here:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ ... obfaq3.htm

The long and the short of that is there's no need to use any dodgy unlocking services. The ones that work will probably just use the official service and charge you a fee on top of that.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:44 am

tekaotaku wrote:perhaps a little reading into Jail breaking your phone?
Jailbreaking in itself doesn't unlock it, it just allows you to install unsigned software and access areas you'd not normally get (I've installed a tool so I can copy/edit/move files around the memory on mine, handy for emulation as I can never remember which folder to put stuff in).

Unlocking follows a similar path though and isn't too difficult once you wade through all the crap online.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:36 pm

iv unlocked a couple and it was easy enough, just jail break then use a programme called red snow or ultra snow or something, theres loads of guides online
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:17 pm

cheers guys, had a bit of a read up on it last night and i get the feeling that its possible (even though the dodgy market phone bloke said that an iphone 4 on orange is not unlockable). Didnt really want to jailbreak it but if thats the cheapest way then i may give it a bash, the missus refuses to let me jailbreak her ipod even.

was in a rush to get to work when i bought it so was a bit on impulse, but was £199, 8gig iphone 4, boxed, brand new all innards sealed, phone still had platic covers on front and back i thought it may be worth it (esp as she really wants one), checked imei number online and phone was activated the day before i bought it too. she will be able to use it with her t mobile sim anyway (if i can cut it down that is without destroying it that is) but she really wants to dump t mobile and get onto giff gaff with it being pretty darn cheap.

i've jailbroken a couple of ipod touches (one of them died a slow painful non charging death about 6 months later) and looked up redsnow, so fingers crossed it will all be possible.

also found a company who charge £100 to do it too! Apparantly orange/t mobile will unlock it for a £15/20 fee too.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:04 am

I would call the current provider and ask them how much to unlock it.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

astaroth

Post by astaroth » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:21 am

AFAIK o2 do it for free and t-mobile charge £15.