*So yeah... that'll be Smash TV then...
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

ZeroCipher

Re: Whats your FAVOURITE arcade game?

Post by ZeroCipher » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:40 am

Double Dragon, Ghosts & Goblins, The Simpsons & TMNT

Big Cabs of Hang On, Enduro Racer, Daytona, After Burner, Power Drift, & Star Wars (original)
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:44 am

theantmeister wrote:Galaxy Force II. The cab scared the censored out of me:
That's not the one I remember.
The Galaxy Force (I, not II) Super-Deluxe cabinet, you had to climb a short ladder to get into it, and as well as two-axis tilting it could rotate around the vertical axis too. In Skeggy they had it raised up on a platform which made it even more imposing.
http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detai ... me_id=7891

Power Drift had a great motion cabinet too. I remember the R360 cabinet of G-Loc could turn you completely upside down (they had one in the basement of Hamleys at one point), but that was more like trying to play a game on a random roller-coaster than giving you any feeling of being in control of a simulated flight.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:35 am

r type, salamander, outzone, sega rally, virtua racing, final fight or street fighter 2

sorry i can't choose just one.

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:04 am

It's a tough choice, but for me it's Donkey Kong.
Not to say that I am any good at it though!

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:57 pm

Gameplay wise it would have to be a toss up between Wrestlefest with its big sprites and great signature moves and Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition which is quite simpy an amazing game which deserves every bit of hero worship its had over the years. Oh, and The Simpsons. Playing this on 4 player with 3 mates from school on a youth club day out was an amazing!

For nostalgia it would be Mortal Kombat. Still remember my 12th Birthday party when we piled into the arcade at our bowling alley, and seeing this for the first time with its lovely blood and fatalities.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:06 pm

Puzzle Bobble I have played the most but no.1 is Mr. Do! by some margin.

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:51 am

Paperboy, Out Run and Ms Pacman are three biggies for me :)
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:11 am

Mr Do followed by Carnival

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:24 am

Never had arcades near me when growing up :( so I can only answer from a more modern perspective.

With that in mind I'd have to say of the many, many I've played in London & Japan the F-Zero GX cab is my fave :D the cool air blowing in your face, cab throwing you from side to side, thumping music. Absolutely brilliant

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:22 am

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:16 am

The only problem with any of those is that whenever I see a Galaxian machine, it's volume level always seems permanently set to "Blow your eardrums out your nose".

tachi

Post by tachi » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:27 am

I adored Gauntlet and still do. Myself and 3 friends spent soooooo much money in the one at the rollarama in Plymouth in the 80s.
I also loved a vertical space shooter but I have no idea what it was called :(
I just remember that it had digitised voices that said the likes of "You have 1 Life Remaining, Proceed with extreme caution".
Oh and Ninja Warriors....and Xybots....Oh my god there were too many!!!
I got a but addicted to arcades as a kid, usually had to be physically dragged from them by my parents lol
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

ootini

Post by ootini » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:14 pm

I had a go of a G-Lock gyroscope machine in Hamleys some time in the early 90's. Was a bloody rip off if I recall. It was £6 and I still have a suspicion that it was an unplayable demo that you payed for. - At least my friend who was with me at the time was a cheeky bugger and spent the time annoying Hamelys' staff with questions like "What kind of degree do you need to get a job here" and the like…

The old Atari Star Wars Cabinet was a favorite of mine back in the day too. There was a seaside arcade that had one right up until fairly recently that I used to frequent. I guess the owner realized how much it was worth to the right collector and sold it on. I went out there a year or two ago (its only down the road from my girlfriends place) to see if it was still there, but alas, the games had been replaced by grab machines and other twee nonsense that only dribbling idiots pump coins into. Only a a few sit and ride racing games and light gun games remain. Place still smells of wee though so some things never change.

The old cocktail cabinets were my favorites as a little kid though. Have fond memories of playing Pac Man on one with my Dad in the local pub the odd Sunday back in the early 80's

There was snooker club also in the local town that had a Spy Hunter machine which I loved. Again they had it for years. I used to go down on my lunch break in the 90's. All the other kids would be crowded around the Street Fighter II machines and while I'd get a fix of Spy Hunter. They also had Return of the Jedi, Bubble Bobble and New Zealand Story cabinets too. That place ate an awful lot of my pocket money. It was shut down in the late 90's - My mum forbid me from going there as it had been a drug haven in her day. Became an interior decor shop for yuppies.