Toys from my childhood - time to move on?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

shiftytigger

Toys from my childhood - time to move on?

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:51 pm

Ok - basically just looking for justification and reasoning as far as getting rid of stuff , thought it best to throw it out to a trusted group of peers.

Since my parents downsized I have been tasked with relocating my life as it has been packed for years in their spare bedroom. Most of my Megadrive collection is safely stored out of the way,as are my Uk transformer comics (for now). My Saturn is sitting worried on top of the lot , along with my early RG magazine collection and a large proportion of my DC / PS1 collection.

Of most concern to me are my G1 toys - they are old , played with and only going to deteriorate.

So I put it out there that I must sell them. Having trouble WANTING to , even though I know I must. My idea being that whatever I get for them I will put into buying a really good collectors condition one to represent my collection - condensed into one good piece.

Has anyone else done something similar - or is best to just let it all go and 'grow up'?
Which G1 transformer would you choose?

James A

Re: Toys from my childhood - time to move on?

Post by James A » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:22 pm

At the moment im going through a period of buying all the G1 Transformers i wanted when i was a kid but never got. This includes the US ones that never got UK release. Got to say its costing me a fortune and i have given some thought to replacing some of my original G1's the cost is putting me off. The four most that i want at the moment are Swoop, Roadbuster, Whirl and Fortress Maximus. Last one ive got no hope of getting.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:40 pm

I say sell !

We're moving house in January so i'm de-cluttering at the moment. Any book/film/cd i havent touched in 12 months i'm selling, its annoying as i've got (had !) some great collections of Judge Dredd books, Fighting fantasy books, albums, but theyve all gone on ebay. Now about to sell 60 Star Wars books !

If i havent touched them in a long time i'm selling it.

I mean if that clutter, sorry prized toys have just been in storage in your parents loft and you havent touched them i think its best to sell them, get the money, let someone else enjoy them. Otherwise they'll gather dust for another 10 years.

Made a fair bit on ebay the last few weeks, all going to the 'house' fund though

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:43 pm

It's a nice idea to sell them and use the money to buy a collectors piece if all you are looking to do is save space, but why not just keep one favourite piece and sell the rest?

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:59 pm

r0jaws wrote:It's a nice idea to sell them and use the money to buy a collectors piece if all you are looking to do is save space, but why not just keep one favourite piece and sell the rest?
Sadly the ones that mean the most got the most played with, so they are not really worth saving. I know a lot of people would probably choose it , but the one that meant the most was Optimus Prime - mainly as I know how hard my parents had to work to get the money for it.Played it to death and it shows. Other memorable ones were

Hotspot - first transformer I was ever bought - for birthday
Pipes - first I ever bought myself

James A wrote:At the moment im going through a period of buying all the G1 Transformers i wanted when i was a kid but never got. This includes the US ones that never got UK release. Got to say its costing me a fortune and i have given some thought to replacing some of my original G1's the cost is putting me off. The four most that i want at the moment are Swoop, Roadbuster, Whirl and Fortress Maximus. Last one ive got no hope of getting.
I remember the local market in Brierley Hill (ask Trev) once had some imported transformer toys and I remember it most because they had Shockwave , Swoop and Fortress Maximus. I was only about 10 but seeing those ones I knew werent over here really got to me. Sure I remember Perceptor ,Sky Lynx , Reflector and Blaster in later times too.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:05 pm

I bought Discworld for the PS1 from the market in Brierley Hill, back in the day. I can still picture the half dozen Castlevania SOTN's sitting on the shelf too. If i only knew then, what i know now.....sigh

In answer to your original question/self justification....i say sell them. I've done similar over the past couple of years and not regretted a thing. Mind you, i just tend to turn my magpie nature in a different direction :roll: :lol:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Ive said the same to someone else about that market - soooo many Vib Ribbons / castlevanias and many many more on that stall. If i remember right he had a box of the Castlevanias in his stockroom or under the counter.

Im just dreading Ebaying them and getting a crap price for them. They may not be mint but they hold a lot of memories and pricing that up is the hard part.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:17 pm

Make sure you pop on a decent reserve then. That way you'll get to keep you treasured items if they don't go for what you feel they're worth. :) It's the only way.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:30 pm

About 150 transformers toys and mixed weapons - should get over £50.

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:10 pm

As others have said- sell. It's what I've done and continue to do (when I've got the time!) with my MD games etc.. + with clothes not worn in 12m etc... (gave those to charity though).

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Exactly how little space are we talking about here? 150 Transformers (assuming they're not boxed) would easily fit into a decent-sized cardboard box, which could then go underneath a bed, at the bottom of a wardrobe or even behind the couch/under a table.

Hoarder's thinking, that's what you need. Use every available inch of space!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Lol - sadly every available inch is filled with games / consoles and comics. We are hoping to move soonish but truly,the toys are suffering from storage. To have one really good one as a way of remembering my collection is probably the direction I will go.

They could probably be saved by a loving collector/repairer - unless i win the lotto tonight I simply can't.

I know it probably seems stupid to a lot of people but these toys n comics represent the last main thing of my childhood that I still have - if Im going to get rid - they have to be replaced or enshrined for me.

Im hoping somehow to find a way of getting my comics in a useable form on PC - but short of scanning every damn page i keep drawing a blank when I try to find digital versions.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:33 pm

I'd say keep your favourites atleast, you will only regret it later and the likelyhood of replacing them cheaply is small.
Repair wise theres not a lot you can do as they are realitively cheap plastic, parts could be replaced from a donor toy and stickers reprinted but any value in the toy will be lost so that might put people off.
Watching you sleep since 1990

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:44 pm

My Optimus Prime has all his battle scars - not sure a nice shiny boxed one would really be the same. Just not sure my own one will last .

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:48 pm

If it's just one, then Jazz for sure.

If you get rid of them though, you'll regret it, especially if you watch Toy Story any time soon!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"