Revival - Retro Event, 18th and 19th May 2013

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

Re: Revival - Retro Event, 18th and 19th May 2013

Post by markopoloman » Sun May 19, 2013 4:59 am

Well done mhk! You had some great prizes there (and some not so :lol: ). I was lucky enough to win a Amiga to scart cable and ummmmmmm tickets to Replay!!

been an awesome event so far and last night's curry with about 30 of us was brilliant (even though it took over 2 hours to get our food.... But 20% off the bill cured what could have been a gang of old retro geeks causing a riot :lol: )

Right.. off to day two.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun May 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Just got back, did it in good time.

All I want to do now is sleep, I am utterly knackered, but first I must upload the photos and videos for all the poor sods who couldn't come.

All in all that has to have been one of the best retro events ever, had so much fun and haven't laughed so much in ages. It was particularly nice to put a few more names to faces and meet the wonderful chaps that are Markopoloman (and mini Marko), Pforson and Mainvein.

quantum

Post by quantum » Sun May 19, 2013 4:01 pm

I just got back from today's event. Great selections of games! Also talks by Mike Montgomery, Archer Maclean, Bedrooms to Billions & Ben Dalgleish were really good.

Although Archer did get out of showing us the 6 fighter disco dancing cheat in IK+...

Same time next year? :-)

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun May 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Excellent weekend. Highlights for me:-

Sandy White saying how rubbish all his post-Ant Attack games were :D
Meeting and chatting for ages with Roger Kean and Oli Frey
Playing this: Image
Playing Deathchase on a dead-flesh speccy again
Beer
Meeting friends new and old

All in all, well done Boyo and the team :smile:
Excellent venue, nice selection of machines
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun May 19, 2013 4:25 pm

Home, had great time, totally knackered, photos uploaded to blog tomorrow when brain works again! =-)

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sun May 19, 2013 4:35 pm

Very enjoyable Saturday, despite being knackered after not sleeping for 2 days, and on the way home having a tyre blow out in the fast lane!

Played a lot I hadn't before (with the occasional DC game thrown in for good measure), quick chat with a few from here, played lot's in the Halo 2 ring. Excellent day out!

Apologies for my mate putting his head in front of the projector for bomberman though :roll:

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun May 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Did I meet anyone else other than Helen and the usual suspects I already knew?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun May 19, 2013 5:10 pm

koopa42 wrote:Did I meet anyone else other than Helen and the usual suspects I already knew?
I heard you were about but wasn't able to "track you down" :)
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun May 19, 2013 5:12 pm

I was only there for a couple of hours with my lad

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sun May 19, 2013 5:23 pm

I think I saw you, You were always in the middle of chatting though.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun May 19, 2013 8:27 pm

After a 4 hour drive back and the obligatory sit down and chat with the wife and kids - I can now get a short time before I drop dead from a knackering, but fun weekend!

To the WHOLE CREW involved with Revival... WELL FECKING DONE! This was a genuine Retro show of awesomeness and captured the feel of past events before they became amalgamated with Modern (I love the Replay stuff - but that really is a different kind of show now).

It's great to go to these shows as you can almost guarantee meeting someone new that you have been trying to catch at previous events without luck... So, was really great to finally meet The Laird - who is in actual fact a really great guy :D The Curry was funny as feck and your constant trolling about the C64 has been noted.... I've hit the REPORT button to God! (You just wait) :lol: Also great to finally meet the hippy from the West (that isn't actually a hippy :shock: ) Space Turnip :mrgreen: Great to chat and nice to know you are actually 'quite' normal!!! :wink:

Also great to chat with the usual crowd (sorry if I miss you - let me know if I do!) :- BoggyB (and BoggyB Jnr.), jd&Diet, Resident Paul, Woodycock (cool), Martyn Carrol, r0jaws, Vinny, mohicankid & Helen (brilliant charity stuff - well done you two :D :D ), TMR, Koopa42 & mini koops, Slick & Mrs Slick, Mike Meeeeee, Brother of Laird!, Krusty40, Paul Drury, Ralf Milnes INVISIBLE left foot!, Chevy Chase (pforson), retrogamefest (so glad I got to hear the full story about Manchester :lol: :lol: :lol: x Pi).... and ummmmmm, who else?

AND finally, always makes my weekend to get a big hug from Boyo (and even better to get a big hug from his amazing wife (mine HATES computers and retro stuff)!!! Love you guys :mrgreen:

The event itself was just brilliant and has to rate as the second best retro event I've ever been to - the first was my first attendance at a retro event (Retro Fusion) - you never forget your first time :wink: The amount of machines was perfect with just about everything in the history of gaming on display. I lost my son, well not really lost as he is 19 but couldn't bloody find him half the time as he was ALWAYS on House of the Dead or House of the Dead 2 with the intention of grabbing the high scores - he achieved this on both!
My claim to fame for the weekend was being draw to play in the first round of Warlords on the 2600 and being the first knocked out :lol: although in my defense, the controller was shagged (Yes, really was not working properly).
The Curry on Saturday night with about 30 of us was really good and bloody funny (WHY didn't someone put that minty sauce stuff in Banes hair when he fell asleep??!!) and the 20% discount due to waiting over 2 hours for food was pretty handy too!
Sunday was far more relaxed - and a day I played more games than I have played in all the other events put together!

Down sides? the only thing that springs to mind was all to do with the bar. £3.80 to £4.00 a pint :shock: They missed a shed load of money going over the bar with that completely over the top pricing! I was going to drink on the Saturday but decided to drive instead - and with the one and only bar being under staffed AND ordering food in the same place meant waiting 15 to 20 mins just to get a pint :evil: There was a bar at the other end of the event - this should have been opened (the venue should really have seen the positives of doing this when it became obvious 600 thirsty people would need to buy drinks). AND £1.50 for a cup of tea :lol: :lol: :lol: You could buy 80 bags for that! The food was pretty good value (2 meals for £10) but I was told that there was a 90 minute wait :o :lol: McDonalds was about 2 minutes in the car - so that was sorted easily.

So, apart from the bar - absofeckingbrilliant weekend - thanks to all involved. Roll on Revival 2014 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

joefish

Post by joefish » Sun May 19, 2013 8:36 pm

markopoloman wrote: The Curry on Saturday night with about 30 of us was really good and bloody funny (WHY didn't someone put that minty sauce stuff in Banes hair when he fell asleep??!!) and the 20% discount due to waiting over 2 hours for food was pretty handy too!
You only waited 2 hours? You weren't at the other end of the table? According to Si there was a rumour going round the following day that we'd all refused to pay and the police had been involved, picking a few people up in the town center afterwards. I was just wondering if my phone battery was going to hold out long enough for the map to lead me to my hotel. It's possibly remiss of the Google people not to program in a pop-up that says "You're looking on the wrong side of the road you daft ****". Was it BoggyB & Jnr who still hadn't checked in to theirs gone midnight?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun May 19, 2013 8:46 pm

:lol: We did have the advantage of being at the end of the table that got served 1st :mrgreen: So I suppose the other end waited a fair amount of time longer... but had bane to amuse the hungry folk with his snoring :lol: :lol: I missed you though - hmmm wtf do you look like :? Sounds like you had the exact same problem as me with the phone, google maps and no battery left! Although it lasted long enough to reach the hotel!
Boggyb & jnr were the ones that hadn't checked in!
MHK was obviously making it sound far more dramatic! Although that really is him all over :lol: Note: That table complained and the manager argued with Chris - but finally gave in after about 20 seconds and gave them 20% off too....