Revival - Retro Event, 18th and 19th May 2013

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

boyo

Revival - Retro Event, 18th and 19th May 2013

Post by boyo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:59 am

Working in collaboration with Craig Turner (Turnarcades Custom Arcade Machines), we have begun the organisation of an all-new event focusing not just on retro gaming, but on the retro culture that was inspired by, and shared history with our earliest gaming roots. Continuing where I left off with the 'Retro Ball' event in 2005, REVIVAL will be an almost exclusively retro event aimed at bringing as many true retro gamers together as possible in one place for the classic gaming experience we all really want to share, whilst retaining a very personal, social event feel. There will be many familiar faces and a chance for the retro gaming community to mix directly with the people that made retro-gaming what it is in our memories and meet up with fellow hobbyists who continue to keep the scene alive.

We have booked the venue and it comprises of 1400 metre squared of space and can hold upwards of 1,000 visitors each day.

Saturday will open at 11am and finish at 11pm (there will be evening entertainment of a 'retro' kind). Sunday will open at 11am and finish at 6pm.

The venue has a fully licensed bar and a cafeteria with a good selection of food.

Right next to the venue is a Holiday Inn hotel with 52 rooms - we are currently negotiating with the hotel for favourable rates and will announce them shortly.

Venue: http://www.wolverhampton-racecourse.co.uk
Facebook Page : http://www.facebook.com/FusionRevival
Tickets : £13.00 for Saturday only, £13.00 for Sunday only and £20 for both days.
Buy tickets here: http://www.revivalretroevents.com/index ... &Itemid=93

Address:
Wolverhampton Racecourse
Gorsebrook Rd
Wolverhampton
WV6 0PE

Layout Map:

By Road
Located north of the city centre, off the A449 dual carriageway. Follow the brown tourist signs to Dunstall Park.
From north: Exit junction 11 of the M6 and join the A460 towards Wolverhampton. Join the M54 at J1 Westbound. Exit at J2 and follow the A449 towards Wolverhampton.
From south: Exit junction 10a of the M6 joining M54 to junction 2, following A449 towards Wolverhampton.
There are frequent services to and from major towns and cities at Wolverhampton Railway station, which is situated less than 2 miles from the racecourse.

By Air
Birmingham International Airport is approximately 25 miles from Wolverhampton.
Wolverhampton Business Airport at Halfpenny Green near Bobbington offers some local services.
We have booked the International Suite for the main event - this room has impressive AV, a stage, projector screens etc and can fit up to 700 people.

We will be supporting the 'Warwickshire Ambulance' and the "Retro Computer Museum' and making donation of sales to these 2 great charities.

Hope you can all support this event - please 'like' the Facebook page and keep checking back for announcements.
Last edited by boyo on Wed May 22, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 13 times in total.

DPrinny

Re: Revival - Retro Event, 26th and 27th July 2013

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:14 am

Tempting, if you need any gear (TVs, systems, i'll have to ask about arcade machines) let me know

You could do with a full address on your site for the venue (Nit picking), maps are good and all, but its easier to stick it in a GPRS for some

boyo

Post by boyo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:20 am

DPrinny wrote:Tempting, if you need any gear (TVs, systems, i'll have to ask about arcade machines) let me know

You could do with a full address on your site for the venue (Nit picking), maps are good and all, but its easier to stick it in a GPRS for some
Full address added - and thanks for the offer of help. Will take you up on that.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:50 am

Quality! :D Made my day.

I'm sure my middle daughter will forgive me leaving for a retro event on her Birthday :oops: :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:57 am

Stickied - this is what lots of you have been asking for.... a full-on RETRO event! :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

boyo

Post by boyo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:41 pm

**** NEWS ****

Allister Brimble, the musician behind the classic Amiga tracks Alien Breed, Project X and Superfrog, is currently running a campaign on Kickstarter to produce a new album on which he will re-create many of his most famous works - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/205 ... s?ref=live

Allister will be appearing at Revival to talk about his new album and to give Revival visitors an exclusive first listen to a number of tracks on the album. Allister is also providing 5 copies of the album as competition prizes - so 5 lucky winners will get hold of Allister's album some months before it is generally released. And of course, he is happy to sign your copy!

Allister has also given us permission to use the CD artwork on posters, mugs etc. These will be available at the event.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:44 pm

I will be giving my full support to this!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:03 pm

markopoloman wrote:Stickied - this is what lots of you have been asking for.... a full-on RETRO event! :D
Its not full retro unless its all stuff from the 70s
boyo wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Tempting, if you need any gear (TVs, systems, i'll have to ask about arcade machines) let me know

Full address added - and thanks for the offer of help. Will take you up on that.
I cant loan out the Lass arcade machines, but I know someone with loads I can ask (Retogamesparty on Jamma+), but like with Lass stock you might need to arrange transport for it

boyo

Post by boyo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 pm

DPrinny wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Stickied - this is what lots of you have been asking for.... a full-on RETRO event! :D
Its not full retro unless its all stuff from the 70s
boyo wrote:

I cant loan out the Lass arcade machines, but I know someone with loads I can ask (Retogamesparty on Jamma+), but like with Lass stock you might need to arrange transport for it
Sounds good m8 - can you PM me what items we can borrow from the Lass. Transport should not be a problem.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Good luck to you and Craig with it.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Looks really interesting; I'll certainly be keeping an eye out on this!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:41 am

This is going to be a mainstream event then? not a social type one?

Turnarcades

Post by Turnarcades » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:34 am

W feel that this event sits in the right place between a large event and social gathering, as although large, we have made it purely retro and are aiming it at the retro gaming community. In terms of size it is a little smaller than the first Replay but large enough to capture active members of the retro community but also those enthusiasts not yet captured (ie. those who've not been able to find out about events because they are not members of certain online forums, but are big offline enthusiasts). This is the balance most are seeking based on the mountains of feedback we've gathered over the last few years, so is the target capacity we've aimed for. A big portion of the show will be taken up by traders as a big complaint many spoke of was not being able to get hands-on with retro items before they buy in day-to-day life, and see events as an opportunity to sensibly spend their cash on items they can see first before buying. Plus, with the 70/30 capacity split of the two main rooms, visitors can choose to either be fully immersed in the gaming ambience of the main hall or go for a quieter experience with the smaller social pockets and get chance to talk in the smaller Atrium, but still be very much involved in the show as there will be exhibits there too, just much quieter and a better environment for bloggers, vloggers and press to conduct reviews and record segments without having to duck out of the venue.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:41 am

Cheers for the info

boyo

Post by boyo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:35 am

Right, Craig and I had a Plan B for a venue - we have spoken to the venue and we hope to make a new announcement very soon on what and where it is and a slight date change of when the event will be actually take place. There is no church people involved either :D

This 'new' venue is bigger, more plusher and is a recognised name.

The venue will be over a weekend, have a bar, have a catering services and be even more accessible than Solihull.

So we are listening guys, as we always said we would - thanks for the feeback.