Comet retailer to go into administration

Post by resident paul » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:25 pm

Another great chain stores might disappear soon! :(

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20164228

ZeroCipher

Re: Comet retailer to go into administration

Post by ZeroCipher » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:37 pm

I saw this earlier

its a real shame as i have bought a few hi-end electronics from them in the past and always found their customer service really good compared to PC World/Currys and the like.
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:40 pm

every company i have ever worked for has gone bust,when i left comet i thought they might be the exception.i guess not :shock:
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:34 am

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Last time I went in I was shopping for a PS3, and had some vouchers that could have been redeemed there. They had one package and about 10 games sitting forlornly in the isle

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:16 pm

We just managed to buy a new vacuum in Kirkcaldy comet before the shutters went down.
Keith,Scotland 35,wife n 2 kids,Owned(or own)a NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Gameboy,DS,360,Sega MD,DC+GG,Intellevision, C 64, ZX Spec 48k+,PS1,2+3.Fave games are Zelda,Mario,Leaderboard,Tomb Raider,Bombjack,Pilotwings,Ridge Racer,Ico,Everybody's Golf,DAFC fan.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:32 pm

Whens the closing down sale?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Feel bad for the workers. Then again i havent bought much from Comet in years, whenever i've gone into the place some little oink tries to sell me a 20 year extended warranty for the battery i've just bought or something.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:09 pm

psj3809 wrote:Feel bad for the workers. Then again i havent bought much from Comet in years, whenever i've gone into the place some little oink tries to sell me a 20 year extended warranty for the battery i've just bought or something.
Yeah, but their margins have come right down over the years, to compete with on-line retail, and things like that are the only way they can make money.

It's a bit like with video game retailers, except that there's no market for pre-owned washing machines for a fiver less than a new one.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:12 pm

DPrinny wrote:Whens the closing down sale?
I've just been to mine, there's a firesale on - everything is half price! I got an HDMI cable for £46...

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:12 pm

I remember Comet selling Sinclair C5s back in the day,. they had a demonstrator that you could try out in the shop.
Myself i worked for the long defunct Rumbelows electrical chain in the 80s and i remember when Thorn EMI pulled the plug on the business, it was totally catastrophic for the staff, so i really hope someone buys the chain like the game/gamestation debacle and saves it.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:17 pm

thingonaspring wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Whens the closing down sale?
I've just been to mine, there's a firesale on - everything is half price! I got an HDMI cable for £46...
:lol:
to me they're another HMV, a company who hasn't made enough effort to adapt its ways of working to a changing market place and a damaged economy and will therefore fall, very sad for the staff but i can't say i'm shocked been a long time since i bought anything there, about a month ago i needed a mouse and the cheapest they had in store was £25, went next door to tesco and got a better one for a tenner, so its not just online retailers they're losing the fight to
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:38 pm

I got a webcam off them a few months back for a fiver, was ok

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:06 am

The sale is rubbish, only about 10% off stuff. Hasn't stopped fools ruining my day by blocking the street near Comet (which is on my way to work) queuing to get in.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:27 pm

i went in there the other day and the sale was frankly crap. but i did get to have a go on win 8 which was pretty impressive :-)

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:30 pm

Even now Comet don't understand what a sale is
as always i feel very sorry for the staff but this is just another company that stuck to the "we can't compete boohoohoo" bullpoop rather than trying to win out on service and ease of business, goodbye rip off merchant
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*