Big Charity/Community Retro Event, 23-24 March, Sheffield!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Joey

Re: Big Charity/Community Retro Event, 23-24 March, Sheffiel

Post by Joey » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:43 am

^^^ Good stuff :D

I'm looking forward to this Sheffield event as I missed the last one Shaun did ( can't remember why?)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:50 am

No Greggs for Simon this time

Slick2097

Post by Slick2097 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:23 am

Could be interested in going to this one... Will depend on cost etc.

Ste.
--
Born from an egg on a mountain top.
RetroPassion - Why not :) ?

3DS FC: 4914 - 4863 - 2799

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:23 am

The Laird wrote:
Because travelling and staying in hotels is expensive, excuse me for not having a massive disposable income :roll:

The fact is that Oxford (RetroVision) was near enough that I didn't have to book a hotel, same with Video Game Carnival. Likewise there are loads of people here who live in the north that complain about going to shows down south because of the distance and cost. Attending shows not near to you costs more money, can't be avoided.

I am a big supporter of retro shows and many people here can attest to that. I attend as many as humanly possible, host my own, supply gear to people free of charge, promote via my website and run competitions with prizes paid for out of my own pocket. So really I am one of the last people you can have a go at about attending shows.
The fact that you can't afford to go is fine, we all have financial commitments, it's no reason to bemoan the choice of location. It astounds me the amount of people who believe everything should be on their own doorstep.

Also, the amount of previous shows you've attended / supported is irrelevant. I've been to loads as well, it's no substitute for a big d1ck.

:roll: - why does this stupid thing exist? I want to kill the person who invented it. It is the height of rudeness.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:44 am

But I don't expect every show to be on my doorstep and havn't said that either. All I said was that it would be nice if there were more shows in the south as they are mostly up north these days. But it's fine as I will just do my own show, there is a big market / community down here that is not really catered for that well. From the chats I have been having with people there is certainly lots of demand for more southern shows.

Anyway time to change the subject as I don't wish to derail this thread any further than it has been already.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:15 am

^Yep good idea, looking forward to another southern show and hopefully would make that one. Reading would be good ! Fast trains from London, or trains direct from Manchester-Reading.

Anyway more shows the merrier

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:43 pm

will look at getting the time off and see what i can do
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

SIR'86

Post by SIR'86 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:05 am

Nice! I live up that way so I'd be willing to help out, if needed.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:54 am

We're just waiting for the events manager to organise a meeting... :?

EDIT: Missus talking to them right now, gulp!

DOUBLE EDIT: Can have it in principle, a small art exhibit in 1 pod at present, may need to move it.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:35 pm

DPrinny wrote:No Greggs for Simon this time
no Greggs for me ever, bloody sossy rolls, [sulk]
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:44 am

Sigh, monday now for a follow up meeting, my wife is going to hopefully get things nailed down. :lol: Event manager had been on hol for a week

juice

Post by juice » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:09 am

The Laird wrote: Because travelling and staying in hotels is expensive, excuse me for not having a massive disposable income :roll:

The fact is that Oxford (RetroVision) was near enough that I didn't have to book a hotel, same with Video Game Carnival. Likewise there are loads of people here who live in the north that complain about going to shows down south because of the distance and cost. Attending shows not near to you costs more money, can't be avoided.
*delurk*

Given that I live in Sheffield, I may be a wee bit biased, but as much as I loved Retrovision - and I've attended pretty much every one at the Folly Bridge Inn - it's always been a pretty expensive event, between travel (especially by car - many cheap Oxford hotels don't offer free parking), hotel and "southern" beer/food prices.

Conversely, this event will be held in the Hubs, which is physically next to both the train and bus stations [*], so if you're using public transport, there's no need for a 20 minute walk/half-hour bus-ride/£10 taxi journey, as per Oxford/Manchester/Blackpool. Then too, it's a Student's Union, which means both beer and food will be cheap. And finally, there's absolutely no shortage of cheap hotels in/around city centre; there's plenty of places offering rooms from £17-£25 per night. And since this event will be happening during the easter vacation for both universities, it may even be possible to get some cheap deals at a Halls of Residence (e.g. http://www.sheffield-rooms.co.uk/).

Overall, if people are prepared to do even a little advance planning, a retro-gaming event in Sheffield is liable to be significantly cheaper for the majority of people than an equivalent event down in Oxford/Cambridge/London/etc.

[*] And geographically, Sheffield is pretty much the center of England. Admittedly, it's a bit far from Cornwall, but then again, what isn't?
http://www.caffeinated.org.uk/spectrum/ - ZX Spectrum reviews with animated screenshots!
http://www.xboxindiegames.co.uk/ - Reviews for (nearly) every single Xbox Live Indie Game!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:43 am

juice wrote:Overall, if people are prepared to do even a little advance planning, a retro-gaming event in Sheffield is liable to be significantly cheaper for the majority of people than an equivalent event down in Oxford/Cambridge/London/etc.

[*] And geographically, Sheffield is pretty much the center of England. Admittedly, it's a bit far from Cornwall, but then again, what isn't?
Exactly, leave it late and those rail prices will be super high

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:59 am

juice wrote:[*] And geographically, Sheffield is pretty much the center of England. Admittedly, it's a bit far from Cornwall, but then again, what isn't?
:?

Centre Of England

Lindley Hall Farm, Leicestershire (near Fenny Drayton and Higham on the Hill)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_poi ... ed_Kingdom

That is 77 miles from Sheffield city centre :wink:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 am

At the moment (Granted you can only go up to Feb at the moment and theres no concrete date anyway) you can get a train from Reading-Sheff return for £76 which isnt bad.

A coach with National Express from Reading to Sheff (I just put in dates in March but December were the same) was £35. So thats why i think you're getting digs about retro shows being too far ! Yeah theyre far but book in advance (or with coaches a few weeks) and theyre super cheap

I'm a southerner and granted for years i used to get nosebleeds if i went above Oxford but its cheap/easy to get around urp north