Big Charity/Community Retro Event, 23-24 March, Sheffield!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pforson

Re: Big Charity/Community Retro Event, 23-24 March, Sheffiel

Post by pforson » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:05 pm

The Laird wrote:There are too many shows up north now.

Another show in the south dies and is replaced by yet another northern show. I would love to come to this but the cost of travelling that far added to hotels, food and drinks means it will be a no right now.
Why does someone always have to complain about travelling across the UK? - its a pretty small island and travel costs are pretty reasonable if you book in advance.

The last Sheffield show was great and I really hope this happens. Looking forward to it.

Pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Retro Lord Lozz

Post by Retro Lord Lozz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Hey we would be up for lending a hand, also being the charismatic duo that we are we would love to present so to speak

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:25 pm

pforson wrote:
The Laird wrote:There are too many shows up north now.

Another show in the south dies and is replaced by yet another northern show. I would love to come to this but the cost of travelling that far added to hotels, food and drinks means it will be a no right now.
Why does someone always have to complain about travelling across the UK? - its a pretty small island and travel costs are pretty reasonable if you book in advance.

The last Sheffield show was great and I really hope this happens. Looking forward to it.

Pete
Because travelling and staying in hotels is expensive, excuse me for not having a massive disposable income :roll:

The fact is that Oxford (RetroVision) was near enough that I didn't have to book a hotel, same with Video Game Carnival. Likewise there are loads of people here who live in the north that complain about going to shows down south because of the distance and cost. Attending shows not near to you costs more money, can't be avoided.

I am a big supporter of retro shows and many people here can attest to that. I attend as many as humanly possible, host my own, supply gear to people free of charge, promote via my website and run competitions with prizes paid for out of my own pocket. So really I am one of the last people you can have a go at about attending shows.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:29 pm

But you cant complain if a fair few are up north, specially when the organisers live up north !

I'm sure we'll all love a fair few southern ones to go to ! But book everything in advance and trains/hotels are dirt cheap (plus you can cancel the hotel nearer the time if its somehow changed date/or you cant make it)

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:22 pm

Where were all the southern forum members when we did GEEK in Margate last Feb? :wink:

Massive 5 day retro event and the only forum members there were us staff!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Joey wrote:Where were all the southern forum members when we did GEEK in Margate last Feb? :wink:

To be fair Margate is an absolute censored to get to being right down on the south east coast and not well connected. I was going to come but work got in the way.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:48 pm

I'm sure there'll be some people here willing to give lifts to others (or for a bit of petrol money) so travel isnt bad, then you can often share a room with some of these as well to cut down costs.

When an event is in March you've got nearly 6 months to save a bit of dosh for it. Be worth it i'm sure.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Personally the location doesn't really bother me at all. I've attended them all over the country and just book a cheap B&B locally where possible. I know friends of mine who regularly make it down from Scotland to make it to these events, but it's not for everyone.
Infact, if a show was local to me, and I went home after the day I think it would make it a different event altogether. I like the fact that I am "away" for the weekend, and can chillout with friends without worrying.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:04 pm

r0jaws wrote:Personally the location doesn't really bother me at all. I've attended them all over the country and just book a cheap B&B locally where possible. I know friends of mine who regularly make it down from Scotland to make it to these events, but it's not for everyone.
Infact, if a show was local to me, and I went home after the day I think it would make it a different event altogether. I like the fact that I am "away" for the weekend, and can chillout with friends without worrying.
Thats what i do when i go to gigs/concerts, dont try and book the one closest to me as i want a weekend away with the lads !

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:06 pm

this thread is now sticky'd! and i will be attending! :D
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:33 pm

Just a quick update. Me and missus are meeting with the hubs event manager this week. I don't really want to say anything else until a booking is confirmed to be honest. This isn't something that will fall of the radar - it will definitely happen as I am receiving support from many people including Dave (Arcadian) - just don't go booking hotels yet!

Shaun

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Is it near the train station?

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:42 am

Joey wrote:Where were all the southern forum members when we did GEEK in Margate last Feb? :wink:

There were a couple of RGers there - moi(obviously), Mr. Gasking, didn't Witchfinder go and TMR travelled south to visit it.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:56 am

Katzkatz wrote:

There were a couple of RGers there - moi(obviously), Mr. Gasking, didn't Witchfinder go and TMR travelled south to visit it.
Yea I know I couple of you guys came really.

It's just a shame that for a massive show put on by Replay events, it wasn't hugely supported when there seems to be a lot of noise about the lack of retro events in the south.

Hopefully more people will get on board next Feb!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:30 am

Joey wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:

Yea I know I couple of you guys came really.

It's just a shame that for a massive show put on by Replay events, it wasn't hugely supported when there seems to be a lot of noise about the lack of retro events in the south.

Hopefully more people will get on board next Feb!
Don't worry Joey, I plan on being at the next Geek. I think that the Laird is also planning to come as well.